Gretsch "Clipper" FAN CLUB

LesB3

Gretschie
Silver Member
Aug 17, 2021
Philadelphia, PA
Like many folks, my first Gretsch was a Clipper, and I've since come to admire them for what they are: good, cheap, fun. They never get much attention 'round here, so now is yer chance to show 'em off. High-falutin' Streamliner and fancy-dancy single Annie folks need not apply!

I'll go first... '65 6186 on the left, '58 6187 on the right...
20230123_163309.jpg

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
And great modding platforms. Did Bax ever post pictures of his clipper project? I know he mentioned the specs, but I don't recall ever seeing the finished product. IIRC, it was to have a lotus ivory top and platinum gray back and sides. Ever since then I've had an inkling of an idea to do something similar. One of these days I might go after a derelict Clipper and see if I can't develop at least some modest skillz. That said, I went to work on a 100 year old watch last night and lost one of the applied gold numerals from the dial irretrievably and nearly lost one of the hands. Luckily I have a donor for the lost numeral, but this one is going to a professional next. I'm not tempting fate any further. It's possible that I'm better suited to thinking than to doing. The same might apply to guitars as well.

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
I used to own the one end-50s model with the rare white soapbar on it.
That was a nice guitar. But not the best choice for heavy rock music.

LesB3

Gretschie
Silver Member
Aug 17, 2021
Philadelphia, PA
And great modding platforms. Did Bax ever post pictures of his clipper project? I know he mentioned the specs, but I don't recall ever seeing the finished product. IIRC, it was to have a lotus ivory top and platinum gray back and sides. Ever since then I've had an inkling of an idea to do something similar.
I want to say yes (on GDP) but can't honestly remember...

I've seen a few good looking projects, here's a 50's "upgrade" that was on Reverb:
'58 Clipper (Modified)
rg7hxyrzmfhhiplbgkig.jpg

...and a 60's model done the same way:

'66 Clipper (Modified)
obzwo7und8gikvni6stq.jpg

I almost made an offer on the '66, but then noticed the neck separation at the heel and figured it was headed for a neck reset.

I would never mod my 50's Clipper, but if I knew someone that could spray sparkly paint and source a new headstock overlay, I wouldn't think twice about sinking serious $$$ into the 60's model. I'd probably keep the back / sides black and do the top in silver or red sparkle, 2x S-D Dynasonics, B6, etc. Don't know whether I would change the electronics or add a switch, might just make the existing knobs volume controls -no tone, no switch.

As a completely hollow thinline, it has a great sound all it's own. I bet it would sound fantastic with P-90's too...

Last edited:

slk230red

Electromatic
Mar 13, 2010
Tampa
Here's my 1963 6186 Clipper. I saw it advertised on the USF bulletin board in 1978 for $20. What the heck, so I bought it.;) The '76 Chet Atkins Country Gentleman also has an interesting story.

Gretsch.jpg

New guitar wall hangers.jpg

Pemberton

Gretschie
Gold Supporting Member
May 4, 2022
Pennsylvania, USA
I don’t own a Clipper. However, I saw this beautiful ‘57 (213xx Batch) at the Pittsburgh Guitar Show last September. I played it and thought it played wonderfully. It was in excellent condition. I remember it having a thicker neck profile.

4AFD3A50-8355-43BB-BF5B-AD1CE77C082E.jpeg
4EB2ED81-966E-43A5-B735-253B18E72915.jpeg

Last edited: