Gretsch 2420t gunmetal review -18 months in

Davono

Electromatic
Jan 7, 2022
Ireland
Something I would like to add. The gretsch writing on my scratchplate.....it just wiped off with a dry cloth one day. No solvent, no soap. Contacted gretsch support. Got nowhere. Thomann offered me to post back the scratchplate but I was not arsed. Oh well.

Drewbacca

Jun 24, 2022
USA
I just got this same guitar and my knobs are on order. I tried lifting the knobs that are on it but they do not seem to want to move. Any advice on how you did this? Thank you.

fezmond

Electromatic
May 23, 2020
UK
Bought the 2622T when I got back into guitars during the lockdown and had similar thoughts.
Changed the knobs and the switch tip to chrome ones with the Gs and it looks 10x better.

Tuning stability is absolutely awful. Tried a new spring, strings over and under the roller thing. I'm guessing it's the nut so I'll take it for a change next pay day. The edges of the nut are really sharp too (just more of a pain).

Fretwork is great, pickups are alright and it feels really great to play unless you want to use the bigsby.

Stingray70

Electromatic
Oct 18, 2021
Michigan
Welcome.... Good review. Tuning stability concerns caused me to steer away from the 2420T in favor of the 2420. My 2420 stays in tune like a champ and plays great (after a little setup work and a new bridge). My advise is if you want a Bigsby buy a higher end model. Bigsby equipped guitars have enough tuning issues without adding to them the issues that come with cheaper hardware and less initial setup effort of the budget guitar line. Plus the 2420 s usually about $100 cheaper than the Bigsby equipped 2420T. IMO the 2420 is the real screamin deal between the two.

Last edited:

mister rain

Synchromatic
Apr 23, 2020
new orleans
Welcome.... Good review. Tuning stability concerns caused me to steer away from the 2420T in favor of the 2420. My 2420 stays in tune like a champ and plays great (after a little setup work and a new bridge). My advise is if you want a Bigsby buy a higher end model. Bigsby equipped guitars have enough tuning issues without adding to them the issues that come with cheaper hardware and less initial setup effort of the budget guitar line. Plus the 2420 s usually about $100 cheaper than the Bigsby equipped 2420T. IMO the 2420 is the real screamin deal between the two.
except. usually all that’s needed to get a modern cheap guitar with a bigsby up to speed is:

“after a little setup work and a new bridge”

Stingray70

Electromatic
Oct 18, 2021
Michigan
except. usually all that’s needed to get a modern cheap guitar with a bigsby up to speed is:

“after a little setup work and a new bridge”
I understand the point you're trying to make but as the reviewer and other posters in this thread have stated the tuning issues largely still remain. The point I was making is that I have a 100% stabil guitar that plays great that I paid $400 for brand new. I then did a setup myself and bought a used bridge on ebay that came off of a high end Gretsch for $22. I didn't spend hundreds of dollars more and months of my time to wind up with a budget guitar that might stay in tune for a song or two... Which is why I'll stick with what I said before, the 2420 is the real bargain between the two and if you want a Bigsby you might as well buy a higher end model because you're going to spend the money getting the bugs out of the cheap guitar anyway. At least that way you'll have better wood, hardware, pickups and electronics in the process....

Last edited:

mister rain

Synchromatic
Apr 23, 2020
new orleans
I understand the point you're trying to make but as the reviewer and other posters in this thread have stated the tuning issues largely still remain. The point I was making is that I have a 100% stabil guitar that plays great that I paid $400 for brand new. I then did a setup myself and bought a used bridge on ebay that came off of a high end Gretsch for $22. I didn't spend hundreds of dollars more and months of my time to wind up with a budget guitar that might stay in tune for a song or two... Which is why I'll stick with what I said before, the 2420 is the real bargain between the two and if you want a Bigsby you might as well buy a higher end model because you're going to spend the money getting the bugs out of the cheap guitar anyway. At least that way you'll have better wood, hardware, pickups and electronics in the process....
i’m with you except. stepping into a 5420 you have the same tuning issues with the bigsby. so i spend the same fixing / upgrading both.

but here’s my secret. i prefer the color choices on the trapeze 2420… that’s still the one i’d get, like you say. if i’m swapping out the tailpiece for a b6 either way, give me the finish i prefer…