Greetings from Germany with a first question / 5124 bridge replacement

stevenson30

Electromatic
Aug 2, 2022
Germany
Hey Guys,

My name is Stephan from Germany and I am new here.

I own a 5124 and I would like to replace the bridge (is it aluminim?) which is not-adjustable by screws to setup the intonation.
Could anyone recommend a bridge which can I replace on-to-one? It seems there a several different kind of bridges.

On the attached picture you can see the installed bridge. The high and low E strings are at the outermost edge of the bridge. Does it have to be like this? Furthermore, due to the age of the guitar, there are clear notches through the strings in the bridge. Any recommendations about this?

Thank you!

Grettings,
Stephan

Attachments

• Gretsch2.jpg
    Gretsch2.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

THS3171

Gretschie
Jan 20, 2020
Germany
Hallo Stephan. Beste Grüße aus Deutschland nach Deutschland und ein herzliches Willkommen im Forum!

beliebt sind ABM-Rollenbrücken, wobei es aber auch günstigere Alternativen gibt.

Thomann, Musicstore und andere verkaufen eine Menge Zubehör in diese Richtung.

https://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/Gitarren/Bruecken-Stege-Saitenhalter/cat-GITARRE-GITERSBRUE
https://www.thomann.de/de/gitarrenstege.html

Es empfiehlt sich hier, die Kundenrezensionen zu lesen. Viel Glück dabei :)👍

P.S.: Fotos Deiner Klampfe(n) sind immer gern gesehen ;)

TobyB

Electromatic
Nov 22, 2021
UK
I too would strongly recommend ABM options... I have their roller bridge and their ToM's on a number of my guitars... completely transformed my 5622T for instance. Lovely bits of engineering...

stevenson30

Electromatic
Aug 2, 2022
Germany
Hallo Stephan. Beste Grüße aus Deutschland nach Deutschland und ein herzliches Willkommen im Forum!

beliebt sind ABM-Rollenbrücken, wobei es aber auch günstigere Alternativen gibt.

https://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/Gitarren/Bruecken-Stege-Saitenhalter/cat-GITARRE-GITERSBRUE

Hi! Vielen lieben Dank für die netten Grüße und für die Infos. Der Link ist sehr hilfreich...Danke dafür :)

Hatte die Brücken von ABM auch entdeckt und mache mich mit der Thematik gerade vertraut.

Jetzt muss ich nur noch das richtige Teil finden. Hatte nämlich gerade eben mal den "Lochabstand" der vorhandenen Brücke gemessen, welche 76/77 mm beträgt.

Viele Grüße aus Essen,
Stephan

stevenson30

Electromatic
Aug 2, 2022
Germany
I too would strongly recommend ABM options... I have their roller bridge and their ToM's on a number of my guitars... completely transformed my 5622T for instance. Lovely bits of engineering...
Thank you Toby. I am just familiarizing myself with the topic. It will most likely become a roller bridge from ABM.

TobyB

Electromatic
Nov 22, 2021
UK
If you read around web fora, you'll come across talk of "tone-sucking" and "rattling" bridges, especially roller's.
I believe this is either an urban myth, or historical from 70's components?

None of the stock bridges I have taken off Gretch's and Gibson's had any demonstrable rattling on the guitar and off it. All sounded richer tones with replacement, I believe better metallurgy and machining leads to more vibration energy reflecting back into strings and less absorption. Sustain unchanged... so no more energy being absorbed by the body and reflected as "unamplified sound".

Well-made ToM and roller bridges seem to offer great tone and precise adjustments for intonation, uncompromised by whatever strings you choose.

stevenson30

Electromatic
Aug 2, 2022
Germany
Thank you all for the great support and recommendations. I decided to keep the original bridge. I was able to improve the intonation and am satisfied so far. The only thing that is unclear to me are the traces of wear wear on the bridge from the strings. There are noticeable notches in the bridge especially on the e and b strings. Should I replace the bridge? Where can I order this bridge? Thank you in advance!

Greetings,
Stephan

Attachments

• bridge.jpg
    bridge.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 8

TobyB

Electromatic
Nov 22, 2021
UK
The pictures you've shown look to me like a poor quality casting that's corroded and flaking, not up to the job.

I would choose the 2400 roller bridge since you've got a Bigsby.

The "rosewood" base on my Tim Armstrong was very poorly made and had warped with significant twist so it didn't sit flat. I replaced it with something like

Of you could try a "better" ( newer, uncorroded) version of the same?

I went for the apparently better quality stuff, because my Electromatic's seem good and well built, but let down by some cheap hardware. It's been transformative for both guitars ... very pleasing!

stevenson30

Electromatic
Aug 2, 2022
Germany
I had the opportunity to get a bridge from ABM (2400c) to try out. It seems that the hole spacing of the ABM bridge is a little too small, so that it can not be replaced directly. Is there anything else to note that I have not taken into consideration? :(

Thank you very much in advance for helping me!!

Greeting,
Stephan

Attachments

• Bridge_ABM.jpg
    Bridge_ABM.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 2

stevenson30

Electromatic
Aug 2, 2022
Germany

Vielen Dank für die Infos!!

Ich habe mir eine ABM Brücke zur Testzwecken zukommen lassen. Aber der Lochabstand scheint etwas zu gering um die neue Brücke direkt auf die vorhandenen "Pinne" zu stecken. Gibt es da noch was zu beachten?

Viele Grüße
Stephan