Going on an Amp Safari this Weekend.

blueruins

Country Gent
May 28, 2013
Savannah, GA
Amp Safari report.

With GPS I was able to locate the last known lair of the elusive Bandmaster Reverb.

I had the wife and kids take me to the drop zone and I hiked the rest of the way in (they went to get smoothies).

Many different species were lurking in the area; Marshall, Vox, a flock of Blackstars and various tiny amps flitted about. There were a few common members of the Fender family but nothing that resembled the distinct markings of the 68 bandmaster. It’s size alone should have made it an easy mark in this enclosed encampment…no such luck.

I was forced to hike back to enlist help from a local guide, the notoriously hard to find Guitar Center salesman. I finally cornered the hapless fellow, he seemed hesitant to enter the area but reluctantly agreed to help.

We spent some time going back over the tracks I had already traversed when the guide threw up his hands and claimed defeat. I showed him the listing from the internet and he agreed that it was “odd”.

“I’ve travelled 2 and a half hours from Savannah to try that amp” I told him. I asked him to take down the used Gibson Doublecut and he left to go inquire as to the whereabouts of my intended catch.

After some time he returned to let me know that he had located the amp and it was in for repair.

“I’ll just bet it is” I thought to myself but thanked the young man and went about my business with the Gibson.

A communication arrived from my driver and she indicated my time was nearly up. It was at just this time that the man returned and told me another story about the Bandmaster.

Turns out it is not in repair but was “on layaway” for another employee. But that employee is no longer going to buy it. The stream was getting deeper by the minute. He told me he’d bring it out for me to try…progress!

The young man did indeed scare up the amp…or half of it. The head was there but where was the cabinet with the JBL’s clearly shining through the grille cloth? “That listing is a little misleading, but it’s just the head for sale.”

Okay.

So I got to try the amp. Plugged it into a nice Marshall 4x12 and I loved it!

Some haggling went on and we were unable to come to a sensible agreement so I walked away once again wondering how the heck that place stays in business?

Still hunting.

radd

Friend of Fred
Dec 27, 2017
Santa Cruz
Amp Safari report.

With GPS I was able to locate the last known lair of the elusive Bandmaster Reverb.

I had the wife and kids take me to the drop zone and I hiked the rest of the way in (they went to get smoothies).

Many different species were lurking in the area; Marshall, Vox, a flock of Blackstars and various tiny amps flitted about. There were a few common members of the Fender family but nothing that resembled the distinct markings of the 68 bandmaster. It’s size alone should have made it an easy mark in this enclosed encampment…no such luck.

I was forced to hike back to enlist help from a local guide, the notoriously hard to find Guitar Center salesman. I finally cornered the hapless fellow, he seemed hesitant to enter the area but reluctantly agreed to help.

We spent some time going back over the tracks I had already traversed when the guide threw up his hands and claimed defeat. I showed him the listing from the internet and he agreed that it was “odd”.

“I’ve travelled 2 and a half hours from Savannah to try that amp” I told him. I asked him to take down the used Gibson Doublecut and he left to go inquire as to the whereabouts of my intended catch.

After some time he returned to let me know that he had located the amp and it was in for repair.

“I’ll just bet it is” I thought to myself but thanked the young man and went about my business with the Gibson.

A communication arrived from my driver and she indicated my time was nearly up. It was at just this time that the man returned and told me another story about the Bandmaster.

Turns out it is not in repair but was “on layaway” for another employee. But that employee is no longer going to buy it. The stream was getting deeper by the minute. He told me he’d bring it out for me to try…progress!

The young man did indeed scare up the amp…or half of it. The head was there but where was the cabinet with the JBL’s clearly shining through the grille cloth? “That listing is a little misleading, but it’s just the head for sale.”

Okay.

Some haggling went on and we were unable to come to a sensible agreement so I walked away once again wondering how the heck that place stays in business?

Still hunting.

Sorry about your experience. I learned a few years ago to always call the GC that was advertising the product I was interested in and have a sales person actually find it before I traveled to the GC.

Robbie

Friend of Fred
Jun 17, 2013
Sarnia Ontario Canada
If it hasn’t sold by Saturday I’ll be driving 2.5 hours to check out a Silverface Bandmaster Reverb with JBL’s.

The thing is massive and I know it’s going to make my wife’s eyes roll back in her head🤭

Been wanting this amp for ages now even though I have no real use for it😬 I’ve gotten so much experience dialing in my little Champ that I hardly have any need for another Fender. 40 watts is surely overkill for my living room but I’ve got a craving for real spring reverb and just something new to kick around.

It would probably make more sense for me and my wallet to pick up a Vox AC-15 or 30? Never owned a Vox.
I hope it works out for you.

Robbie

Friend of Fred
Jun 17, 2013
Sarnia Ontario Canada
Amp Safari report.

Okay.

Still hunting.
Sorry to hear this.

Winnie Thomas

Synchromatic
Jun 13, 2011
Cochise AZ
Amp Safari report.

Okay.

Still hunting.

Remember what Mick Jagger said.

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
I totally understand you.
The Bandmaster is a beast. Especially with JBLs.
Honestly: You guys in the US have a speedlimit and everybody and his son is in love with muscle cars.
Same with this amp: Buying it is not sensible but it is fun.
You should really do it. Happy hunting.

Last edited:

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
Three yeras ago I sold a Mesa Stiletto Trident series 1 with 150 watts of crushing power to someone who wanted to use it as a living-room amp. He told me his wife loves when he is playing really loud at home.
What a happy man!

Back in Black

Country Gent
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
If it hasn’t sold by Saturday I’ll be driving 2.5 hours to check out a Silverface Bandmaster Reverb with JBL’s.

The thing is massive and I know it’s going to make my wife’s eyes roll back in her head🤭

Been wanting this amp for ages now even though I have no real use for it😬 I’ve gotten so much experience dialing in my little Champ that I hardly have any need for another Fender. 40 watts is surely overkill for my living room but I’ve got a craving for real spring reverb and just something new to kick around.

It would probably make more sense for me and my wallet to pick up a Vox AC-15 or 30? Never owned a Vox.

Try one of these!

50 full watts, on two ohms...and it's a tube amp.

Love mine, rocks!

Rattles the windows.

I have mine mated to a VOX 2/12 cab with Celestion Speakers.

Best,

BIB.

DSCF1472.JPG DSCF1482.JPG

mister rain

Synchromatic
Apr 23, 2020
new orleans
Amp Safari report.

Okay.

Still hunting.
pretty sure there’s one here in town for sale with cabinet. not as close though…

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Amp Safari report.

Okay.

Still hunting.
GC has been trying to self destruct for years but the employees that keep muddling through are preventing it from going belly up.

heinzman

Synchromatic
Oct 9, 2015
City of Kassel --> Germany
I`m with Frank, buy it!!!
I bought a 135 Watt Fender Silverface Vibrosonic Reverb with a 15" JBL inside...after a short while I found a 4x12" Showman cabinet. I play in my living room with the MV at 4... my neighbors like it. ;-) I could not be happier!!! It was the best buy for me!