Georgy Girl, The Seekers 1966

Rene Asologuitar

Gretschie
Apr 3, 2022
Seattle, WA
"Georgy Girl" is a song by the Australian pop/folk music group The Seekers. Tom Springfield, who had written "I'll Never Find Another You", composed the music and Jim Dale supplied the lyrics. It was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Song but the prize went to "Born Free".
The song became a hit in late 1966 and early 1967, reaching number one in Australia and number three in the United Kingdom. In the United States, it was the Seekers' highest charting single, reaching number one on the Cash Box Top 100. "Georgy Girl" reached number two on the Billboard Hot
100; "I'm a Believer" by The Monkees, kept the song from number one.

I am dedicating this song as a tribute to Judith Durham, the lead singer for The Seekers, who just recently, passed away at the age of 79, 5AUG2022..
1943 - 2022, Judith Durham, Legendary Singer and International Music Icon - Rest In Peace!!!

Highroller

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2015
Portland, OR
Like Lulu's To Sir With Love, Georgie Girl was the title track to a mid-60's British movie of the same name. Completely different in plot and tone, both films nevertheless added to the mystique of swinging 60's London in the United States and were huge successes at the time.

And while Georgie Girl was the The Seekers biggest hit, they actually have an entire catalog of terrific, harmony infused folk/pop. I've always thought of them as being along the same lines as Peter, Paul and Mary in that regard. Folk music masquerading as pop.

Admirable shot at an old classic there, Rene, and a very nice tribute to Judith! - Thanks for the post.

speedicut

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 5, 2012
Alabama
What a coincidence. I was watching a documentary on YouTube yesterday about The Seekers. I remember them back in the day but didn't know they were Australian..

desertfox4

Synchromatic
Aug 19, 2010
Cottonwood, AZ.
Love The Seekers especially Judith. Tremendous singer from pop to opera. I think self esteem issues influenced her departure from The Seekers. Too bad as time went on, quite a bit of time, she realized what she did to the group when she left and the possibilities of what might have been dawned too late. Georgy Girl was all over the radio the summer myself and my younger brother were waylaid for over a month by Mono. Confined to the house during the precious summer vacation months from school was pure torture for us. We watched our friends swim from our southern Minnesota lakehome beach everyday, play ball in our backyard, ride bikes and have fun without us. While Georgy Girl was an enjoyable hit that summer and we never tired of it's play on my little G.E. transistor radio during confinement, it does trigger that long ago feeling of frustration watching the summer dissipate before our eyes.
R.I.P Judith. Thanks for some very good music from the simpler days of my youth.🌹

Rene Asologuitar

Gretschie
Apr 3, 2022
Seattle, WA
I was 6 years old when this song caught my attention. The radio station just wore it out. One of the first songs I learned to sing start to finish.
Hi Gretschzilla,
I was 5 when this song got released, and I did not know it until much later.
Love this tune, introduced to me again lately by a good friend.
Glad he asked me to record this classic.
Rene
Like Lulu's To Sir With Love, Georgie Girl was the title track to a mid-60's British movie of the same name. Completely different in plot and tone, both films nevertheless added to the mystique of swinging 60's London in the United States and were huge successes at the time.
And while Georgie Girl was the The Seekers biggest hit, they actually have an entire catalog of terrific, harmony infused folk/pop. I've always thought of them as being along the same lines as Peter, Paul and Mary in that regard. Folk music masquerading as pop.
Admirable shot at an old classic there, Rene, and a very nice tribute to Judith! - Thanks for the post.
Hi Highroller, Judith deserved all the praise and honor for all her achievements and contributions to beautiful music.
Her voice is truly golden, and is a trendsetter of her time.
Thank you for your wonderful feedback!!!
Rene
Yea , I was about 8 , caught my attention also . Catchy little tune
Well done @Rene Asologuitar
Hi thunder58,
Thank you, as always, for your great comments.
Always a pleasure to hear from you!!!
Rene

Rene Asologuitar

Gretschie
Apr 3, 2022
Seattle, WA
I’d have been 10 when the song came out. It’s one of the songs that begin teaching me about singing harmony.
Hi MTurner,
Now, that is a game changer.
Singing harmony is a beautiful thing, and not a lot of folks can do that well.
Great to hear that this song started a truly lovely singing skill.
Rene
What a coincidence. I was watching a documentary on YouTube yesterday about The Seekers. I remember them back in the day but didn't know they were Australian..
Hi Speedicut,
I love Australia.
I was so fortunate to have visited Perth, Western Australia.
Truly beautiful place.
Thank you for your great feedback.
Rene

Rene Asologuitar

Gretschie
Apr 3, 2022
Seattle, WA
Love The Seekers especially Judith. Tremendous singer from pop to opera. I think self esteem issues influenced her departure from The Seekers. Too bad as time went on, quite a bit of time, she realized what she did to the group when she left and the possibilities of what might have been dawned too late. Georgy Girl was all over the radio the summer myself and my younger brother were waylaid for over a month by Mono. Confined to the house during the precious summer vacation months from school was pure torture for us. We watched our friends swim from our southern Minnesota lakehome beach everyday, play ball in our backyard, ride bikes and have fun without us. While Georgy Girl was an enjoyable hit that summer and we never tired of it's play on my little G.E. transistor radio during confinement, it does trigger that long ago feeling of frustration watching the summer dissipate before our eyes.
R.I.P Judith. Thanks for some very good music from the simpler days of my youth.🌹
Beautiful story, not because of your confinement, but the connection to a classic tune, and stayed in your memory. You and brother probably gained a stronger bond because of that.
Thanks for your wonderful feedback.
Rene

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
The Seekers were exceptionally good. I saw a clip of them in a love setting, and they nailed those complex harmonies.

Highroller

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2015
Portland, OR
Not a bad hole to fall into, afire. Great song. 500 Miles is another one. Seems like everybody covered that one - Joan Baez, Peter Paul & Mary (my favorite version) and many others.

Judith's voice was in a completely different register than Mary Travers. Mary went low, Judith went high. Either way, it's a classic.

Rene Asologuitar

Gretschie
Apr 3, 2022
Seattle, WA
I was a ten year old BOY named George. Guess what I thought about that song.
Hi Glaw,
I feel you, my friend!
I will not open up the sore topic.
All I can say is; this is not about George, the boy!
But 10 year olds will differ.
Thanks for the excellent feedback!
With respect,
Rene

The Seekers were exceptionally good. I saw a clip of them in a love setting, and they nailed those complex harmonies.
Hi Synchro,
I love the complex harmonies of the older classics.
And this one is a fav.
You are so appreciated.
Respectfully,
Rene
I went down the folk revival rabbit hole in a big way a few years ago, and I would say "I'll Never Find Another You" would be at or near the top of my list. And I love this promo video:
Hi afire,
This is an excellent vid, and love it.
Thank you so. much for your great feedback.
Respectfully,
Rene

Not a bad hole to fall into, afire. Great song. 500 Miles is another one. Seems like everybody covered that one - Joan Baez, Peter Paul & Mary (my favorite version) and many others.

Judith's voice was in a completely different register than Mary Travers. Mary went low, Judith went high. Either way, it's a classic.
Hi Highroller,
Love these songs, and P,P and Mary is another band with superb harmony.
I truly love the classics, and this one is one of them.
Thank you so much.
Respectfully,
Rene

Latest posts