G6118T PE - Talk me out of it!

Chris MC

Gretschie
Oct 27, 2014
Orange, Aus
I will do my best.

You dont need it, just play your existing guitars more often.

GAS is like a troll, feed it and it will keep lumbering back up into your lower cortex and say things like, man, now I need a Princeton reverb, no, what I really need a p90 hollow body and custom shop tele to cover all the basis, except those bases better left for a white penguin. Ohh crap now I really need a true vintage telly, because man they can’t get the same wood now, or they don't wind the pickups just right. And what if I had a custom hand built jazzbox, that would sound great for chet covers. Hang on, what if I really had that peddle, or a hand wired early sixties amp.

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
View attachment 183671

Darn you guys anyway! I'm not completely crazy about the back (as it looks a little light to me) but I ended up just buying it. This is my third Gretsch in less than two years. I'm really looking forward to trying this one out. Seems like everything I wanted.
I think that looks gorgeous, and pretty sure grain is pretty rare on Anniversary models. If it's too light, turn down the lights!

Congrats, can't wait to see the guitar in your hands.

Shock

Synchromatic
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
If you don't have a really nice hollowbody that you can amplify, you probably need it in the herd. But if you really want a 6120, hold out. But if you want to be talked out of it, try out a 5420. Maybe an Aspen Green one. See if you like the Ft-67 pickups or Filtertrons better.

Outlaw

Country Gent
Jul 13, 2011
UK
View attachment 183671

Darn you guys anyway! I'm not completely crazy about the back (as it looks a little light to me) but I ended up just buying it. This is my third Gretsch in less than two years. I'm really looking forward to trying this one out. Seems like everything I wanted.
I'm happy you got it!
Now the search starts for your next Gretsch!

Ohthis

Electromatic
Jun 29, 2022
Netherlands
View attachment 183653
OK, Talk me out of this purchase. It seems to have all the things I would like to have on a 6120. Slightly thinner body, Vintage white and stained back and sides. I guess I wish it had binding on the neck and headstock but I can probably live with it as is. It's kind of an understated look.
I have not played one yet, but I'm almost ready to pull out the credit card anyway. I found a good deal on a new one. Anyone have comments? The good, the bad?
Talking you out of it would be a criminal thing to do. If you can afford it, get it. I can't comment on what that guitar is like, because I haven't played it. Good luck with your decision 😅

McIrish

Electromatic
Jan 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
20220701_091631.jpg

It has arrived! I was a bit surprised that it is nicer than what I thought it would be. It's very comfortable. the neck is great and the rosewood fingerboard has a very tight grain so it's almost like ebony. The Bigsby seems even better than what I have on my Duo Jet, which seems kind of odd. On the Duo Jet, there is an odd rattle or something when I tap on the Bigsby. This guitar has none of that issue. Fit and finish is excellent. I did play a new 5420 at a store last week. It wasn't bad but this is a whole different thing. I do like the colors of the latest 5420's but I figured that by the time I finish upgrading all the parts, I'd be at least half way to getting a 6120 or 6118. So, I decided to just bite the bullet and get what I wanted now. So far, no regrets at all. As someone already said, now I will probably start looking for my next Gretsch...

HypotenusLuvTriangle

Country Gent
Oct 27, 2010
Whittier, Ca
OK, Talk me out of this purchase. It seems to have all the things I would like to have on a 6120. Slightly thinner body, Vintage white and stained back and sides. I guess I wish it had binding on the neck and headstock but I can probably live with it as is. It's kind of an understated look.
I have not played one yet, but I'm almost ready to pull out the credit card anyway. I found a good deal on a new one. Anyone have comments? The good, the bad?

It doesn't have binding on the neck or headstock and the headstock color doesn't match the body. Therefore, it SOUNDS awful.

McIrish

Electromatic
Jan 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
So far, everything is good except... Tune O Matic rattle. I wasn't sure if I'd run into that problem or not but the D string has a pretty bad rattle. I might try a few ideas. Maybe some 222 loc-tite might be a quick and simple fix. Or, i can just order another Tru-Arc or Compton. It's a bit hard to understand why they let instruments with bridge rattles leave the shop. Everything else is perfectly flawless. Oh well, it's a temporary problem. Nothing to get too worked up over.

McIrish

Electromatic
Jan 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
I took the 6118 on a short vacation over the weekend. Somehow, the bridge rattle disappeared. Not sure why but I know it's an easy swap to a Tru-Arc or Compton. I'm very impressed with the guitar. The finish on the back is much nicer than the earlier pictures I was sent showed. It's really pretty. Neck profile is great. It stays in tune quite well even with the new strings. I will have to spend some more time with it plugged in to give a full review of the new pickup design. I was wondering if the lack of binding on the neck was going to bother me. What they did was actually even better. The thumbnail inlays come all the way to the fingerboard edge and act as the fret markers on the side. Being that they are much larger than the little dots, these are very easy to see even in low light. The fingerboard has a slight round over which makes it incredibly comfortable. If you want a real classy looking Gretsch without the over-the-top bling... this is it. Definitely a keeper!

blueruins

Country Gent
May 28, 2013
Savannah, GA
View attachment 183721

It has arrived! I was a bit surprised that it is nicer than what I thought it would be. It's very comfortable. the neck is great and the rosewood fingerboard has a very tight grain so it's almost like ebony. The Bigsby seems even better than what I have on my Duo Jet, which seems kind of odd. On the Duo Jet, there is an odd rattle or something when I tap on the Bigsby. This guitar has none of that issue. Fit and finish is excellent. I did play a new 5420 at a store last week. It wasn't bad but this is a whole different thing. I do like the colors of the latest 5420's but I figured that by the time I finish upgrading all the parts, I'd be at least half way to getting a 6120 or 6118. So, I decided to just bite the bullet and get what I wanted now. So far, no regrets at all. As someone already said, now I will probably start looking for my next Gretsch...
That’s a sexy little thang 😎

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
View attachment 183721

very nice! its all there

Latest posts