For those who have played a Falcon……

freddyfingers

Gretschified
Platinum Member
Hi. Recently i am on a quest to look for Falcons with Dynas. There is a ‘55 model in white with a tail piece that fits the bill. Not the cost bill, but what i am seeking. They are a pretty penny. I have heard and read that the difference between the Falcon lines and other gretsch lines is huge In regards to quality. There is no where near me to try that falcon, or any For that matter. So i pose a question that came into mind.

I have a 2010 setzer hot rod. Great guitar. I can feel a difference between it and most of the 5120/5420 guitars i picked up. The setzer just feels different, the action in my world is super low, and it plays effortlessly. What i dont know is how different, or similar a falcon would feel. Trying to justify the price difference to get a decent gretsch with dynas. Are the falcons necks very different from what i got? Would i feel and see a big difference in quality over the hotrod? If not, i could always pop some dynas in the hotrod and put on a tail pice. Or find a less expensive gretsch with dynas that fits a the bill.

So to all the falcons owners, players, how much of an upgrade is it over a hot rods? As much as the bling stands out and makes it unique, i dont think bling effects playability, but i may be wrong.

DavyH

Electromatic
Aug 11, 2022
Aurora, Colorado
I've had 2 Falcons; the first a long-gone May 1971 double-cut mono with the tuning fork bridge and Bigsby, the second an '09 6136T, still have it. The quality and bling on both were as good as it gets. The '71 was from deep in the Baldwin era, but still more like classic Gretsches than later Baldwin ones. Fun guitar, but big and heavy, not really suitable for the dives I was playing at. The '09 (bought new) is slightly better playability and sound-wise, and the fit and finish is simply exquisite, although it feels as if everything is coated with a microscopically thin layer of shiny plastic.

Dynas? My only experience with them was very long ago with a bandmate's mid-'50s Country Club. I recall there not being a lot of sonic difference between Dynas and 'Trons, but that doesn't stop my bucket list from including a Penguin with Dynas...:cool:

G5422T

Country Gent
May 24, 2012
usa
I had an '04 Falcon for almost 10 years. Beautiful instrument in every way. The neck was the "chunkiest" of any modern Gretsch that I've owned or played. I liked that.

FWIW, the long scale neck, along with the 17" body that is 2 3/4" deep, is a big guitar IMO.

You may like that, or find it uncomfortable because of the size.

Best of luck with your quest and try and play one to see how it feels for you.

Glaw

Synchromatic
Aug 30, 2017
ca.
151C5DDE-E850-40FE-99F6-560309EF4DD9.jpeg
I have these 3 guitars because I’m lucky enough to have the funds without it hurting me and my wife’s standard of living. If funds were tight though I could easily live with any one of the 3 and not feel there are things I can’t cover because I don’t have the other 2. I started with the 6120 and got the other two because they’re awesome and I got great deals on them. None are single coil so I can’t address that, but I don’t think any proline Gretsch will let you down or are necessarily better than another. My very unprofessional point of view.

Trash Kidd

Country Gent
Silver Member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 14, 2015
London U.K.
I have a 2005 G6136T White Falcon & a 2011 G6136T SL Silver Falcon.
I love them both & rarely play any of my other guitars now.
The main difference as stated above is the longer scale… Also the bigger body 17”
I’ve got used to the size now & if I pick up a 6120, 5420, Tele, Les Paul all these guitars feel tiny!! So it’s worth taking the size/scale thing into consideration.
I’m over 6ft tall so these big birds definitely suit me!!
Good luck with your search. A47A14D8-8564-4FE1-9422-80AB95CCB9C5.jpeg

bluenote23

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 17, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Hi Freddy,
I have a 2008 Falcon with filtertrons. I also have 3 2005 proline Jets, a 2005 G6119-1962HT and a preFMIC Jet. I have owned in the past a G6119T (traded for the Tennessean), a G6040 and a G5129.

The Falcon is a nice guitar for sure. A little magic; despite the long scale it doesn't feel like it to me. But it isn't really any more 'special' than my other Gretschs. At least in that period 2005-20008 Gretsch was making guitars with no compromises. They were pretty expensive and so no corners needed to be cut. As a result, my Gretschs are all great, well built guitars.

So if you want a Falcon to have a slightly garish, flagship guitar, then that's good. But if you think it's going to be way better than your current Gretsch (though I have no experience with Hot Rods), you might be disappointed. It is a big guitar and because I am not so big, I tend to like my Jets more.

If I were going to choose a Dyna Gretsch, this is my favourite:
full

2005 G6121W.

freddyfingers

Gretschified
Platinum Member
The Jett’s are nice, and would probably weigh a little less than a 17 inch hollow body. I have only played a pro line Jett once. Have never seen one in person since. Although less in price than he falcons, both would have to be purchased sight unseen.

Chmason85

Country Gent
May 1, 2018
Philadelphia
The Jett’s are nice, and would probably weigh a little less than a 17 inch hollow body. I have only played a pro line Jett once. Have never seen one in person since. Although less in price than he falcons, both would have to be purchased sight unseen.
If it makes you feel any better I’ve purchased all but two of my guitars sight unseen and have yet to be let down. All of the Gretschs I’ve owned have been the only ones not needing to go to a tech right out of the box, or at all for that matter. I purchased my 6120RHH from streetsounds NYC online and it is the finest guitar I’ve ever had. At the end of the day just make sure there’s a solid return policy and you’re all good! 👍🏼

bluenote23

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 17, 2009
Montreal, Canada
The Falcon is not a lightweight at around 7.8 lbs. The Jets are noticeably lighter, with the Roundup at 6.8 lbs.

As with Chmason85, I have never touched a Gretsch proline that wasn't great. Three of my Jets were bought from Gretsch forum members without me ever having played them.

CaliforniaSlim

Gretschie
Jul 21, 2016
I have a HotRod and a Falcon (with Dynas) both are fantastic guitars. I too can feel the difference between the Hot Rod and my 5420. The Falcon feels similar in its build quality. Nothing exceptionally different in quality feel of the instrument, but the flash- the binding and inlays- are definitely top notch. Having a longer scale and bigger body gives the falcon a different feel and sonic range, but really needs to be felt to be heard. They 2 guitars compliment each other well, so if you can keep the HotRod.....
IMG_4684.jpg
Cheaper guitar with Dynas - I started the dyna path with a 5127. The 512X series can be found for well under $1000 and sound great.
IMG_4686.JPG

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
The Falcon is not a lightweight at around 7.8 lbs. The Jets are noticeably lighter, with the Roundup at 6.8 lbs.

As with Chmason85, I have never touched a Gretsch proline that wasn't great. Three of my Jets were bought from Gretsch forum members without me ever having played them.
Jets vary in weight quite a bit. My dc jet is 8lbs. Wildwood and Sweetwater post weights of all their guitars, so they provide some reference. If weight is important, always ask, I've seen the same model gretsch guitars vary by as much as 1.5-2 lbs.

Sweetwater has 4 Firebirds, 1lb weight difference among them.

bluenote23

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 17, 2009
Montreal, Canada
HI Henry,
I don't know if your Jet is a newish one. I found the posted of weights of the newer Jets to be heavier than my older 2005 models. They all vary between just under 7lbs to just a little over 7 lbs. My preFMIC is a heavyweight at 9.5 lbs!

freddyfingers

Gretschified
Platinum Member
I have a HotRod and a Falcon (with Dynas) both are fantastic guitars. I too can feel the difference between the Hot Rod and my 5420. The Falcon feels similar in its build quality. Nothing exceptionally different in quality feel of the instrument, but the flash- the binding and inlays- are definitely top notch. Having a longer scale and bigger body gives the falcon a different feel and sonic range, but really needs to be felt to be heard. They 2 guitars compliment each other well, so if you can keep the HotRod.....
View attachment 191023
Cheaper guitar with Dynas - I started the dyna path with a 5127. The 512X series can be found for well under $1000 and sound great.
View attachment 191024
Very nice. Thanks for the side by side. I had a 5129 years back. Traded it towards the hot rod. I would keep the hot rod. Its blue, thats the rule i was told.

Latest posts