Fondest memory

stiv

Country Gent
Sep 12, 2014
Firenze, Italy
My life has been full of great memories and regrets in equal parts, it’s really difficult to elevate one from another for the good or bad. I’m just glad I’ve been healthy enough to enjoy what I’ve had ever since and shared my part of what ifs. Life gave me the gift of the woman I love, but it also kept me for having balls enough to pursuit a career in music (not necessarily be a musician).
Modern lifestyle wouldn’t allow me to have both.

RobertusMaximus

Electromatic
Aug 8, 2022
Missouri City, Texas
My fondest memories are of my daughter when she was a baby and the first ten or twelve years of growing up. Then many years later, getting married to my best friend (now wife) four years ago. My time in the Navy (1980 - 1987) and all the years since I was left/divorced from the Ex-Monster/ex-wife (2014).

Regrets? Marrying the Ex-Monster/ex-wife. The signs were all there that she was a controlling narcissistic monster. I was young, dumb, fresh out of the service, hurt from the breakup with a girlfriend, and didn't see the writing on the wall. Twenty-seven years living in hell with that monster. Yes, she was a looker when we met, but she made life just about as bad as it could be. She damaged my daughter and did more terrible things than I have time to write about. On the other hand, she still has to live with herself. I think that is punishment enough for anyone.

I'm thankful for still being alive and in good health. For my wife Manya and all the love she brings into my life. I'm thankful for a great job, a wonderful place to live, creativity in writing books, music, and so many other things. Frankly, my life is far better than I deserve.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
I don’t spend time on regrets…

Best is meeting my Wife. We started dating when she was 15 and I was 16. Married when she was 18 and I was 19. We just celebrated our 50th Wedding Anniversary this past August.
We just had our 46th on the 18th. So far, so good.
----------------------------------------------------------
I had a thought that recently crossed my mind about this thread. Many of our memories are connected to smells, scents, aromas, or odors.
The smells just before and after a rain are great. I miss the smells of burning leaves, and Mom's cooking. Near my high school was a bakery (in the mornings) and a brewery (in the afternoons). One that I remember strongly---where I lived in South Bend, the area is full of mint farms (Wrigley gum bought it all). The overpowering aroma of the mint being cooked down (25 pounds of leaves to one quart of concentrate) is amazing. Covers the entire west end of town.

calebaaron666

Friend of Fred
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
I don’t feel comfortable sharing either on a public forum.
However, this particular Tom Waits song is very personal to me and it addresses both my fondest memories and my weightiest regrets.

The bats are in the belfry
The dew is on the moor
Where are the arms that held me
And pledged her love before?
And pledged her love before

And it's such a sad old feeling
All the fields are soft and green
It's memories that I'm stealing
But you're innocent when you dream
When you dream
You're innocent when you dream, when you dream
You're innocent when you dream

I made a golden promise
That we would never part
I gave my love a locket
And then I broke her heart

All of the fields are soft and green
And it's memories that I'm stealing
When you dream

We're running through the graveyard
And we laughed, my friends and I
We swore we'd be together
Until the day we died
Until the day we died

radd

Friend of Fred
Dec 27, 2017
Santa Cruz
Thank you for your kind words, Stefan.
I am happy that my wife is in medical treatment now (it was a long way to even persuade her that there is help for her problems).
But it is still a very long way to go and her doctor told me that her therapy will possibly lead to some kind of relief, only. A complete healing would be optimistic. (She is a borderline-patient.)

Borderline….You have my deepest sympathy. Her road and yours are not easy ones. I wish you the best.

Pemberton

Gretschie
May 4, 2022
Pennsylvania, USA
. . . I wake up in the morning with nothing to do and go to bed with only half of it done . . .
This really hit home with me. I’ve been dealing with a chronic illness for the last 15 years that prevents me from being able to do much, including playing music. However, my physical limitations aside, my brain and heart are as happy and content as can be.

My wife and 3 grown boys are everything to me.

Regrets? Not really. I’m sure I could think of something. But I focus on today and look forward to tomorrow.

Gregor

Country Gent
Oct 17, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
This really hit home with me. I’ve been dealing with a chronic illness for the last 15 years that prevents me from being able to do much, including playing music. However, my physical limitations aside, my brain and heart are as happy and content as can be.

My wife and 3 grown boys are everything to me.

Regrets? Not really. I’m sure I could think of something. But I focus on today and look forward to tomorrow.
So sorry to hear of your chronic illness but am inspired by your positive attitude...we still keep soldiering on. All the best going forward.

Seamus

Country Gent
Feb 25, 2011
New England
I don’t feel comfortable sharing either on a public forum.
However, this particular Tom Waits song is very personal to me and it addresses both my fondest memories and my weightiest regrets.

The bats are in the belfry
The dew is on the moor
Where are the arms that held me
And pledged her love before?
And pledged her love before

All the fields are soft and green
It's memories that I'm stealing
When you dream

I made a golden promise
That we would never part
I gave my love a locket

All of the fields are soft and green
And it's memories that I'm stealing
When you dream

We're running through the graveyard
And we laughed, my friends and I
We swore we'd be together
Until the day we died
Until the day we died

I adore that song. I don't know if for similar reasons, but certainly for similar themes.

Emergence

Synchromatic
May 25, 2022
New York
I’ve had a great life with more fond memories than I deserve. I’ve traveled widely, to 40 countries, and worked in 11 of them. I’ve reached every goal I set out for myself. I’m retired with no worries about outliving my resources. If there’s a fondest memory, it’s watching my grandkids grow up.

Regrets? I have plenty of them. I’m far from perfect. I’ve done a few things where the consequences could have been far greater. Where did my good karma come from?

Looking back, I have had disappointments, but none that overshadow what’s been good about my life. Dreams? I still have them. Like a Norwegian fjords cruise. I’m not dead yet and I can afford anything I want.

Some people focus on the spiritual as they near the end. I don’t see anything for me there. The unsolved mystery for me is space time and gravity. No commas. I see them as manifestations of the same thing. Thinking about this keeps my brain sharp.

Pemberton

Gretschie
May 4, 2022
Pennsylvania, USA
So sorry to hear of your chronic illness but am inspired by your positive attitude...we still keep soldiering on. All the best going forward.
Thank you. Although my health forced me to quit playing live music, I’m still able to enjoy my guitars (especially the vintage ones), and I do try to play a bit every day, even if it’s only for 5 or 10 minutes at a time. I find it very relaxing. And I also enjoy being part of this online community of fellow Gretsch enthusiasts.

LivingMyDream

Friend of Fred
May 4, 2016
Peculiar, Missouri
Fondest memory: Finding and marrying the love of my love, and the 2 great kids that came form that union. The kids are grown up now and I have a very good relationship with them both.

Regrets: Like others have said, none really. We live and we learn. Unfortunately, we tend to learn the most from the difficult times of our lives, but without them we would not have grown to be the people we are today. Life hasn't been perfect, but all in all, I feel blessed.

radd

Friend of Fred
Dec 27, 2017
Santa Cruz
I don’t spend time on regrets…

Best is meeting my Wife. We started dating when she was 15 and I was 16. Married when she was 18 and I was 19. We just celebrated our 50th Wedding Anniversary this past August.

My wife, met her and started dating when she was 16 and I was 17, marrtied when she was 19 and I was 20. We celebrated our 51st last month. I needed permission from my parents to marry because I was under 21. She did not need permission because females were considered adults at 18.……

Can’t imagine where I would be without that woman in my life for all those years.