Finally, Weighed my Guitars (edited)

Runamok

Country Gent
Same here. Church of Sustain says thou shalt not make a guitar too light lest thou be excommunicated.

And ironically, my heaviest guitar is my Strat. I don't have a Les Paul to compare, but it's incredibly heavy for some reason. Maybe someone Implanted some lead in there somewhere.
My S2 thinline is bungie chorded to the floor
to keep it from drifting away. 😱

I heard tell one can play more than one note, thus sustaining a lone note through the weekend is less crucial. 😉

Lucky Jim

Gretschie
Oct 16, 2020
Kent, England
Wow! There are some pretty heavy guitars listed above. Do you guys eat lots of spinach??

1674583099330.png

I just checked mine on some accurate fishing scales (cue more puns):

2017 G6128T-CLFG - 7lb 12oz
2022 G6120TGDS - 7lb 3oz
2004 G6131TDS - 7lb 2oz
2020 G6128T-53 VS - 6lb 14oz

Just for comparison my primary gigging guitar for just over 40 years, a 1982 Schecter Tele, weighs 6lb 13oz - about the same as the 53VS.

The mystery is why there is nearly a pound difference between the 6128 CLFG and the 6128 53VS when they are both of identical construction.

LesB3

Gretschie
Silver Member
Aug 17, 2021
Philadelphia, PA
I just checked mine on some accurate fishing scales (cue more puns):

2017 G6128T-CLFG - 7lb 12oz
2022 G6120TGDS - 7lb 3oz
2004 G6131TDS - 7lb 2oz
2020 G6128T-53 VS - 6lb 14oz

Just for comparison my primary gigging guitar for just over 40 years, a 1982 Schecter Tele, weighs 6lb 13oz - about the same as the 53VS.

The mystery is why there is nearly a pound difference between the 6128 CLFG and the 6128 53VS when they are both of identical construction.
Do we know that the CLFG is the *same* as the 53VS? I can't find an honest answer anywhere about how any of the modern Jets are actually routed...
If identical, the only distinguising features are what? Lacquer vs. Poly?

Lucky Jim

Gretschie
Oct 16, 2020
Kent, England
Do we know that the CLFG is the *same* as the 53VS? I can't find an honest answer anywhere about how any of the modern Jets are actually routed...
If identical, the only distinguising features are what? Lacquer vs. Poly?
Yes, I inspected and measured both guitars exhaustively - inside and out. They both have identical ‘50s’ routing, same body thickness and exactly the same top, back and side thicknesses. Same neck profile. The only real differences are the pickups, T-Armonds v Gretsch Dynas, and cosmetics which shouldn’t affect weight to any meaningful extent. The lacquer finish of the CLFG is only a thin coat applied over poly, as are most Fender/Gretsch lacquered guitars of recent years. The headstock of the CLFG is slightly longer than the 53VS’s.

There’s nothing obvious to explain nearly a pound difference in weight.

Interestingly, my 2004 G6131TDS which has less extensive routing but a slightly slimmer body weighs only 4oz more than the 53VS. Lighter woods perhaps?

BTW here are pics of Gretsch Jet internal routing. The one on the right is the ‘50s’ type of the CLFG and 53VS. My 2004 6131 has the routing shown on the left.

1674658925442.png

Last edited:

LesB3

Gretschie
Silver Member
Aug 17, 2021
Philadelphia, PA
Huh! Very interesting. I guess it could be down to slight differences in wood, age, etc. I've yet to find a modern Jet that is anywhere near the weight of my '59 -its almost *2* lbs. lighter than my '89VS model...

Highroller

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2015
Portland, OR
Only time I ever weigh a guitar is in response to a thead like this, when somebody asks - "what's your Jet weigh?" for example.

Otherwise, I got two weights: Too heavy, and Not too heavy!

Seems to be all I really need to know. 🤷‍♂️

Danno

Gretschie
Jan 2, 2023
South Portland, Maine
There’s nothing obvious to explain nearly a pound difference in weight.

I wonder if it's the wood itself... for instance its Pinewood Derby Season with Cub Scouts right now. Cars are not allowed to weigh more than 5 ounces. Rarely do we get a car that a kid and their parent made that is over 5 oz. However 1 car block out of the 48 in a case shipped together to us from the Boy Scouts distribution center was twice as heavy as all the others when it was an uncut block. We just assumed the wood wasn't dried out as much as others. Just some thought.

Highroller

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2015
Portland, OR
Pinewood Derby? Nice to hear they still do that!

I'm guessing the designs are a lot sleeker than they were in back in my Cub days. Back then (early 60's) everything looked like 1940's Ford roadster! After a crash! LoL!

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
I bet it was still lighter than this ...I once picked up one of these disasters in a music store ..." once " is the key word here as " disaster " follows . Must have weighed 15 lbs
View attachment 199296
How much do those plastic resin guitars weigh? There's a guy on YouTube, Nick Zametti, who's made a couple of them. I've heard that a Dan Armstrong plexi guitar is really heavy.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Pinewood Derby? Nice to hear they still do that!

I'm guessing the designs are a lot sleeker than they were in back in my Cub days. Back then (early 60's) everything looked like 1940's Ford roadster! After a crash! LoL!
I live in Indiana (was in Cubs in 1956)---ours all looked like Indy 500 racecars.

Some store has belt sander races. So it goes.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
That's what ours were like, early 80's. We were allowed to tape quarters to ours prior to weigh-in if we wanted...
I still have mine somewhere, along with the third place medal!
The only Scout memorabilia I have left (after nearly ten years in Scouting) is my Dad's 1936 BSA Manual. That, and a penchant for pyromania.