Fender 64 Custom Deluxe Reverb Hardwired

albertgen

Electromatic
Mar 7, 2011
illinois
How well do the Gretsch Filtertrons work with this amp? Can you get a clean Chet sound or are they too distorted? If they are, would putting in a JBL D120 give it more headroom? Thankyou, Albert

BohemianLikeMe

Synchromatic
Apr 18, 2020
Prague, CZ
I haven't played the custom version, but any AB763 Deluxe Reverb is going to be a pretty loud amp, even with the stock speaker. I don't think stock Filtertrons are going to overdrive it without cranking the volume or running the guitar through a pedal.

Are you looking for something for a band situation or home use?

hcsterg

Friend of Fred
Silver Member
Feb 13, 2012
France
Hi @albertgen :

I have the 70s SF versions : TR/DR/PR/Champ...

19101303083325019416458948.jpg

19102106402725019416472530.jpg

- If you want That Great Gretsch Clean Tone on a DR, you will have it, no issue.
- If you want a Bluesy or Rock'n'Roll tone, you will have it also on DR, but it will be loud, as @BohemianLikeMe wrote !

A+!

albertgen

Electromatic
Mar 7, 2011
illinois
Both. But they did lower the wattage on the new Deluxe Reverbs Custom Handwired to 20 watts instead of 22. I always loved the Deluxe Reverb but I don't really like the printed circuit board in my DRRI. It's a lot of money but I sure like the old way of building things. Thats a cool Tennessean you have there. I have 1966 Tennessean my Dad bought me in 66. I retired it , all the binding is rotting off. I have always been a Gretsch and Deluxe Reverb guy, I was just afraid the new DR would breakup a lot with its lower wattage? Thankyou, Albert

BohemianLikeMe

Synchromatic
Apr 18, 2020
Prague, CZ
I wouldn’t worry @albertgen, 2 watts is functionally no change in terms of volume or headroom. IIRC (and one of the math savvy members probably knows better than I), going 5 watts up or down only changes the output by about 1.75 db. I think most people don’t even notice 3 db difference in sound- they’re both perceived to be about the same.

If you are worried about the amp breaking up too soon, you can always swap the speaker for something more efficient, which will give you more headroom.

swivel

Country Gent
Silver Member
May 13, 2018
PNW
I've had no problem with 'Trons and Deluxe Reverbs. Cant say on the modern hand wired but I think it would be fine.
If you want to make a DR louder there are plenty of options out there in speakers without going to a JBL.

BohemianLikeMe

Synchromatic
Apr 18, 2020
Prague, CZ
I've had no problem with 'Trons and Deluxe Reverbs. Cant say on the modern hand wired but I think it would be fine.
If you want to make a DR louder there are plenty of options out there in speakers without going to a JBL.
If it were me, I would go neodymium actually. Those newer neodyne speakers are like half the weight of a normal magnet and sound pretty great.

BCRatRod73

Synchromatic
Silver Member
Sep 1, 2020
Mississippi
I wouldn’t worry @albertgen, 2 watts is functionally no change in terms of volume or headroom. IIRC (and one of the math savvy members probably knows better than I), going 5 watts up or down only changes the output by about 1.75 db. I think most people don’t even notice 3 db difference in sound- they’re both perceived to be about the same.

If you are worried about the amp breaking up too soon, you can always swap the speaker for something more efficient, which will give you more headroom.
You have to double the wattage to get a 3 db increase.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
An Altec D120 would be the best speaker to put in a DR if you want clean and powerful.
You'd never need more amp. If that isn't loud enough, mike it. As is, it's as good an amp for almost any style of music. Takes pedals well, and has that great Fender reverb built in. You'll never notice a 2 watt difference.

powerwagonjohn

Electromatic
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 12, 2015
Mr. Slim, I think you mean a JBL D120 or an Altec 417. I use them both but I think I like the Altecs best. Including the 15" versions.
Thanks John

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
How well do the Gretsch Filtertrons work with this amp? Can you get a clean Chet sound or are they too distorted? If they are, would putting in a JBL D120 give it more headroom? Thankyou, Albert

you can always go with the Weber California, that has the OG smooth curved cone of the JBL, and not only is it a higher output replica of the
JBL D120, but they give you both the option of the alum dust cap and the large H screen cap. Alum all the way for chet to dick dale, but the H screen opens your world to overdrive and fuzz. I've spec'd the Web Californias on my Fender repros for ages. You never have to worry about blowing the speaker, as the JBLs do. I've had weber recone a couple of my D130s

powerwagonjohn

Electromatic
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 12, 2015
Mr. Slim, I will agree they all come from the same extended family but the D130 was a JBL speaker. The difference in the JBL 4" VC and the Altec 3 1/2" VC makes a discernable difference in efficiency, along with the changing VC former materials over the life of the drivers. I have 12 and 15 inch versions of each of these drivers in their different guises, and there is differences in the tone to me. Along with vintage Jensens and EV drivers. But I am just a hack and as they say different horses for different courses.
Thanks John

Last edited:

Ohthis

Electromatic
Jun 29, 2022
Netherlands
I own the 64 custom shop Princeton, but only tried it with t-armond and SD CS dynasonics. I tried the same with the custom shop deluxe reverb.

I haven't tried them with filtertrons. The 64 custom shop Princeton doesn't stay absolutely clean for long. Put the volume on 3 and you already get some sort of breakup when you push p90's with some aggressive playing. I guess filtertrons are hotter pickups. I'm not sure

The deluxe reverb (CS) sounded absolutely wonderful with the white falcons, so did the Princeton.

Winnie Thomas

Synchromatic
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 13, 2011
Cochise AZ
I view Altec, Altec-Lansing, James B. Lansing, and JBL as one continuous company. The head office changed, but the products pretty much are the same. I still have a lot of Altec gear.
When I played on the road in the early 70's we had a pair of Altec A7's with the large horns. Amazing sound, but HUGE.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
When I played on the road in the early 70's we had a pair of Altec A7's with the large horns. Amazing sound, but HUGE.
A pair will fill up the bed of a standard pickup. The good thing about them is that we could run them with a 50 watt Bogen amp and sound great. They put column speakers to shame.
There's a good reason they were standard in movie theaters everywhere.