Even Famous People Can Have Doubts

drmilktruck

I Bleed Orange
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
In my youth, there was a man of my acquaintance who was very successful. He lived in a fine house, drove a luxury car, and came across as a person that had life by the tail. I later found out that in his personal life, he was somewhat insecure and almost a pathetic figure. Had you met this man, you would have felt like you were in the presence of someone with infinite self confidence, but that was all a front. At core, he was just the opposite.

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
That's the general belief but people who kill themselves have been through serious psychic pain beforehand. Imagine feeling so bad that killing yourself is the best option.
I’m speaking more in the sense of the banter of the song/poem. In the context of the poem, Richard Cory was living the high life, while his workers were suffering, His death was, for the purposes of the artistic work, poetic justice. He was never really alive, so he never actually suffered.

I’ve known more than one real person who committed suicide, and I know that such persons are usually suffering something indescribably bad.

General_Lee

Gretschie
Apr 23, 2022
Manitoba, Canada
Confidence is the doubting of defeat, even while embracing it. Or to put it another way, success ain't all it's cracked up to be. But then, I might just be mistaken about this truth - and I ain't even famous ..

Last edited:

drmilktruck

I Bleed Orange
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
I’m speaking more in the sense of the banter of the song/poem. In the context of the poem, Richard Cory was living the high life, while his workers were suffering, His death was, for the purposes of the artistic work, poetic justice. He was never really alive, so he never actually suffered.

I’ve known more than one real person who committed suicide, and I know that such persons are usually suffering something indescribably bad.

I misunderstood your point. In the song (and poem) Richard Cory could have done the right thing instead.

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
I misunderstood your point. In the song (and poem) Richard Cory could have done the right thing instead.
That’s sort of where I was coming from. Perhaps if he had been a bit more kind toward the people that worked to make him rich, he would have been only slightly less rich, and a great deal happier. By shooting himself, there were no winners.

GreTschocaster

Synchromatic
Feb 11, 2013
Canada
It was around his age when arthitis started to effect my finger joints. It slowly progressed to the point my fingers have stiffen and playing for long periods has become impossible. I still love to play but my hands will never be what they were. Not saying this is his problem with his playing abilities diminishing. Possibly this is just his way of giving a forewarning of his leaving the band.