EMG pickups gotta love them?

englishman

Gretschified
Apr 5, 2014
Detroit
Probably the least expected subject on a Gretsch group but hey.

I was not a fan, they sounded pretty good with a boatload of gain but clean they just seemed lifeless and dull.

My buddy Billy wanted me to build him a guitar with the 81/60 combo favored by Jim Root. Since it wasn't for me, I put them in and they did nothing to change my perception of them.

Spacey.jpg

And then Jim Root asked for a guitar, one of the (many) stipulations was the 81/60 pickup combo.

Sounded the same to me.

01.jpg

I built this bass using GFS active pickups, they sounded good but during recording they had some odd characteristics. I replaced them with EMGs and it sounded really good.

13.jpg

The "Bubble Wand bass had a set of "Geezer" EMG passives.. great sound.

IMG_2366.jpg

After I sold the bones of that bass (nobody wanted it in one piece) I used the same Geezer P bass pickups in this super lightweight blue bass. Great sounds all round.

19.jpg

EMG came out with the "Reto-Active" sets, they looked traditional and were voiced like hot guitars from the 70s, three different types that I used in three different guitars. All sounded great!

IMG_2879.jpg

IMG_5499.JPG

1659795134977.png

And lastly on the rescue of this Chinese FakeStrat, the retro active "Crossroads" set sound really good, just like you'd think a hot rod strat should, without the noise or loss of tone when you turn the volume down.

IMG_5060 2.JPG

englishman

Gretschified
Apr 5, 2014
Detroit
Nice collection of guitars!
I presume you mean this shot of the rack, stuff on stands are usually customer guitars or projects.

rear rack: Rickenbacker 480 (now gone :() 1965 Corvette, 1978 Telecaster 1980 Gibson Sonex 180, 1980-something Gibson Explorer, 1974 SG, 1979 The Paul. Rack two: First Tele build, double bound with DA Allen bridge and 1974 Strat neck pickups, Partscaster Strat (MIM body and neck), 1980 BST, Astro Jet with engraved pickguard and P90s, Ash double jet (my first body from scratch) and 6120 DC build, my first complete guitar build with T-Armonds.

1659806414867.png