TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
Dropped the prices for Easter Week
$199 either the Detroit Casket FLUID DRIVE pedal (medium transparent overdrive or clean boost) or the MARQUESAN Stomp drive ( light colored boost, to blues crunch, or saturated distortion/fuzz)
WWW.THENOCTURNEBRAIN.COM

TheMARQUESAN_1024x1024.png
FluidDriveblackknobs_1024x1024.jpg

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
When you say the saturation switch...is that the symmetric/assymmetric switch for solid bodies/hollow bodies?

And I just noticed that the symmetric is "killer for single coils" - which setting would be preferred for my 5127: hollow with deArmonds?

Asymmetrical is "open" while Symmetrical is "saturated". The latter tends to squash the low mids and saturate the upper mids. I set the switch as OEM to Asymm because it leaves the low end open and is more
bitey" in the highs thus giving hollows more dynamic response when you open the ouput volume of the pedal while keeping the input gain low. A Light Crunchy* yet twangy result.. of course tailored by finding the sweet spot between the tone filter and the "steez" which is an upper mids boost/cut feature. The rest I leave to you :)

* light crunch w twang. output level set to 1 oclock'sh , input gain just a hair above off so 7 oclock'sh. Steeze around 2 oclock maybe 3 depending on your pickups, and tone filter prolly no less than 11 oclock, 1 oclock if you are playing w tarmonds. this setting is for hollowbodies in the stock switch mode. With my tele I like the saturation engaged and ride the gain and steeze higher

TwangCat

Electromatic
Feb 5, 2018
South Carolina
Asymmetrical is "open" while Symmetrical is "saturated". The latter tends to squash the low mids and saturate the upper mids. I set the switch as OEM to Asymm because it leaves the low end open and is more
bitey" in the highs thus giving hollows more dynamic response when you open the ouput volume of the pedal while keeping the input gain low. A Light Crunchy* yet twangy result.. of course tailored by finding the sweet spot between the tone filter and the "steez" which is an upper mids boost/cut feature. The rest I leave to you :)

* light crunch w twang. output level set to 1 oclock'sh , input gain just a hair above off so 7 oclock'sh. Steeze around 2 oclock maybe 3 depending on your pickups, and tone filter prolly no less than 11 oclock, 1 oclock if you are playing w tarmonds. this setting is for hollowbodies in the stock switch mode. With my tele I like the saturation engaged and ride the gain and steeze higher
How big of a difference between the overdrives of the Fluid Drive and the Marquesans?
I had an original [email protected] pedal, but the dang thing was too noisy for my tastes!
I have a Fluid Drive from you, which I tried running after my MB (which doesn't have the FX loop) but find it works better for me to have it in front of the MB?
I like to keep my pedal board compact, and with your upcoming Marquesan re-design to a smaller footprint - you have me intrigued!
(saving my nickels for a Pescadoro right now)
Have watched/listened to the YouTube vids, but wanted to get thoughts from the Turtle Brain-Trust on the difference?

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
How big of a difference between the overdrives of the Fluid Drive and the Marquesans?
I had an original [email protected] pedal, but the dang thing was too noisy for my tastes!
I have a Fluid Drive from you, which I tried running after my MB (which doesn't have the FX loop) but find it works better for me to have it in front of the MB?
I like to keep my pedal board compact, and with your upcoming Marquesan re-design to a smaller footprint - you have me intrigued!
(saving my nickels for a Pescadoro right now)
Have watched/listened to the YouTube vids, but wanted to get thoughts from the Turtle Brain-Trust on the difference?

TC, FLuid dRive is a flat mids light to medium opamp overdrive set to asymmetric clipping running 18v internal (splits 9v to each side of the dual opamp more or less). The Fluid Drive also can be dialed for an absolute clean boost since its using the audiofile quality OPA2135 Burr Brown chip coupled w high internal headroom...while that is not the case w the Marquesan's vintage roots, down to its old school tantelum capacitors and UA308 chip.
The Marquesan is based on the first big box rat, but liberties were taken to allow it great light overdrive w interactive EQ (tone control and steez control) plus it switches between asymm and symm clipping. At its furthest reachings it can go full sludge'stortion like "song #2" Blurr.
So it has versatility as well but in a different coloring. ..If not of this makes sense I apologize as I've not had my morning tea and am off to church for an hour of recharge.

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
got a small deal going on the last 6 DC Fluid Drives, they've also been given a really cool N.O.S. Ratheon RC4558 metal can opamp, that can handle the internal 18v. I have some really cool vintage components I've been sitting on for years and its fun to mix things up a bit now and then.

Same exact pedal circuit just vintage juicy instead of the modern Audiofile Burr Brown OPA2134 chip I spec normally. As a last hurrah to this size Detroit Casket Fluid Drive, I've gone with Steve Austin Six Million Dollar Man knobs like the first run several yrs ago.

1654277119504.png six million dollar man xmas.jpg
https://www.thenocturnebrain.com/collections/pedals/products/the-detroit-casket-fluid-drive