Early Gent husk on Reverb for someone who fancies a project.

knavel

Country Gent
Dec 26, 2009
London, England
@Wayne Gretschzky @afire
I was wondering how it was a certainty this was a 1957 until I saw that scratched in serial number. I have never seen that before--only on the back plate of a Jet of that era. Is that something Gretsch did with the 50s CGs under the headstock plate?

Or is the number under the plate dubious but the lack of zero fret = 1957 as the seller states?

stiv

Country Gent
Sep 12, 2014
Firenze, Italy
I stopped thinking about restoring vintage guitars to their original form the day I bought my Rally. :)
I always thought it would be a nice project for me to find all the original parts, considering the guitar already looked and sounded great when I got it and I had no rush... then I just did some math and the total of what I would pay for the missing parts would be a lot more than the market value of the same guitar in pristine conditions (even considering the relatively low price I payed for it). And she's only 55 years old, so parts are easier to find.
Vintage guitars are for those who have the money and could buy them in good conditions. Everything else it's just a financial losing effort :D

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
@Wayne Gretschzky @afire
I was wondering how it was a certainty this was a 1957 until I saw that scratched in serial number. I have never seen that before--only on the back plate of a Jet of that era. Is that something Gretsch did with the 50s CGs under the headstock plate?
I have a sample size of two. When I owned 26405, I removed the plate and found the SN scratched into the headstock. I don't even know why I did, except I was probably curious because these first batch Gents have the plate screwed on. I suppose I just wondered if there was a reason.

Maybe you recall that 1960ish Gent that showed up for sale a few years ago, but with a 264XX plate. I was wondering if maybe the real serial number might be hidden under the plate, so I carefully pried the plate off of 35166 to find no serial number scratched into the headstock.

So, yes, this is definitely a thing with the first batch Gents. But I don't know if it continued after that. The screwed on plates did continue into 1958, so maybe when you see the screwed on plate, you're likely to find a serial number behind it.

knavel

Country Gent
Dec 26, 2009
London, England
I have a sample size of two. When I owned 26405, I removed the plate and found the SN scratched into the headstock. I don't even know why I did, except I was probably curious because these first batch Gents have the plate screwed on. I suppose I just wondered if there was a reason.

Maybe you recall that 1960ish Gent that showed up for sale a few years ago, but with a 264XX plate. I was wondering if maybe the real serial number might be hidden under the plate, so I carefully pried the plate off of 35166 to find no serial number scratched into the headstock.

So, yes, this is definitely a thing with the first batch Gents. But I don't know if it continued after that. The screwed on plates did continue into 1958, so maybe when you see the screwed on plate, you're likely to find a serial number behind it.
I wasn't aware of the early screws for the headstock plates. Thanks John. Maybe Ed has some more info about this and will chime in.

Setzerhotrod

Country Gent
Oct 26, 2011
Anchorage Alaska
Not to be a downer here, but whenever I see a husk I ask myself if after all the good parts are sold off if there is anything good left. There may be a reason someone stripped it. I’ve had several guitars that while by all accounts should have been great, they weren’t. All the components were great except the guitar.

Notch Filter

Electromatic
Feb 15, 2018
Not to be a downer here, but whenever I see a husk I ask myself if after all the good parts are sold off if there is anything good left. There may be a reason someone stripped it. I’ve had several guitars that while by all accounts should have been great, they weren’t. All the components were great except the guitar.
I can think of a few good reasons. The neck is split up the back, and appears to be pulling away from the body, which may also mean that the truss-rod is compromised, there's a gouge out of the wood in the back, there is a Titanic sized hole where the jack plate used to be, the top of the guitar appears to be splitting, and the finish over the entire guitar is unredeemable. I've seen luthiers work magic, but by the time you got finished with the cosmetic and structural repairs, the guitar would hardly be "original."

949r

Electromatic
Mar 21, 2014
USA
I know this Seller .
He was selling the entire Guitar a few years ago. I sent the info up the ladder to the people who could verify its authenticity and it was/is an OG 1957 Country Gentleman.
A certain collector made a fair offer or two and was turned down. Now this guy is parting it out.
Sad affair

949Norm

Latest posts