Does anyone know what kind of gretsch guitar this is and what year

juks

Country Gent
Nov 26, 2020
Fremont, California
Looks like a historic series to me. Is there a serial number? On a label inside the upper f- hole probably. If there is one the year is likely in the Dutch database. And I believe gretsch has its own too.

Lobbispor

Electromatic
Jul 23, 2021
Iceland
Looks like a historic series to me. Is there a serial number? On a label inside the upper f- hole probably. If there is one the year is likely in the Dutch database. And I believe gretsch has its own too.
Cant see serial number but i know the guitar is from befor 1970

Attachments

• 21D1FCC5-99F6-4FC0-98FD-2821076E6298.jpeg
    21D1FCC5-99F6-4FC0-98FD-2821076E6298.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 37

Lobbispor

Electromatic
Jul 23, 2021
Iceland
Looks like a 6117 Cats-Eye from the 1960s.

What's its story? It's clearly seen some front-line action!

Got this guitar from frend long time ago i think this is first eletronick guitar that Friðrik Karlsson guitar player from messoforte had but i have not asked him going to du that soon

Highroller

Country Gent
Jun 11, 2015
Portland, OR
Yeah, it's not a "revival era" Historic, although I'll admit it sure looks like one. I don't think I've ever seen one of those with zero frets.

[edit] ... there you go! Mogg's got it! That IS a rare one! ... and it answers a long standing question of mine about what the Historics are actually based on!

Anyway, looks like it could be a fine restoration project. How's the neck?

---

Last edited:

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
It's a circa 1966 Double Anniversary 6117. Obviously not the same as the usual f-hole, sunburst 6117. They were custom made for Sam Ash overwhelmingly in either red or black. This is what it would have looked like in better times (and no doubt could again):
jb9il44xeedm58y02n2t.jpg

Lobbispor

Electromatic
Jul 23, 2021
Iceland
It's a circa 1966 Double Anniversary 6117. Obviously not the same as the usual f-hole, sunburst 6117. They were custom made for Sam Ash overwhelmingly in either red or black. This is what it would have looked like in better times (and no doubt could again):
jb9il44xeedm58y02n2t.jpg
Thank yoy have most of the parts nice to se how it look

Lobbispor

Electromatic
Jul 23, 2021
Iceland
Yeah, it's not a "revival era" Historic, although I'll admit it sure looks like one. I don't think I've ever seen one of those with zero frets.

[edit] ... there you go! Mogg's got it! That IS a rare one! ... and it answers a long standing question of mine about what the Historics are actually based on!

---

Attachments

• 02D1EB25-3B48-4604-AEE8-0F34D59827DA.jpeg
    02D1EB25-3B48-4604-AEE8-0F34D59827DA.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 46

Lobbispor

Electromatic
Jul 23, 2021
Iceland

---
Neck is ok bud need work

Highroller

Country Gent
Jun 11, 2015
Portland, OR
Neck is ok bud need work

Doesn't look too bad. Needs some fretwork, but that's easy. The main thing is how true and straight it is. Overall, the guitar looks like maybe it's been exposed to the elements at some point. That can warp and/or twist a neck. Never a good thing, but not something you can't (most of the time) get fixed.

There's probably at least half a dozen people here that would enjoy restoring something like that! What's your plan for it?

Lobbispor

Electromatic
Jul 23, 2021
Iceland
Doesn't look too bad. Needs some fretwork, but that's easy. The main thing is how true and straight it is. Overall, the guitar looks like maybe it's been exposed to the elements at some point. That can warp and/or twist a neck. Never a good thing, but not something you can't (most of the time) get fixed.

There's probably at least half a dozen people here that would enjoy restoring something like that! What's your plan for it?
I am going to fix it i think the neck is not warp or twist but i thenk the fret need overhaul i going to try to keep orginal paint as i can and just keep otherpart as they are just siling over it