Dodgy deals

GlenP

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2019
WA
I suspect the bridge position there is not factory. Probably easy enough to slide back into position.

6187LX

Gretschie
Aug 11, 2022
Up Around the Bend
Looks to be an older 5240(?) Electromatic in Aspen Green. A friend has one just like it. This is right before Gretsch took the "Electromatic" off the headstock; this guitar is at least 8 years old, so new strings makes sense.

thunder58

Super Moderator
Staff member
Double Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2010
Tappan N.Y.
@Humpblock
Like you , I also like looking at various sites too . Here in the States we have " Craigslist " and of course Facebook Marketplace . What I get a kick out of is that everyone selling states they have the " golden ticket " for sale , the cream of the crop . And yes , a high outstanding price .
* Guitar plays like butter
* Not a scratch on it
* Closet Queen
* All original
* Original owner
* You won't find one out there like this
....and my favorite .....
* Hate to let it go

So many times I want to reach out to the seller and just ask ..." If it's so good and wonderful , then why are you selling it " 🤣

GlenP

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2019
WA
@Humpblock
Like you , I also like looking at various sites too . Here in the States we have " Craigslist " and of course Facebook Marketplace . What I get a kick out of is that everyone selling states they have the " golden ticket " for sale , the cream of the crop . And yes , a high outstanding price .
* Not a scratch on it
* Closet Queen
* All original
* Original owner
* Hate to let it go

So many times I want to reach out to the seller and just ask ..." If it's so good and wonderful , then why are you selling it " 🤣
“Thinning out the herd”
:)

beatbyrd

Gretschie
Mar 9, 2023
Dallas
@Humpblock
* Not a scratch on it
* Closet Queen
* All original
* Original owner
* Hate to let it go

I need the money.
I don't play it anymore.
It's taking up space.
I am upgrading.

There are plenty of good reasons to sell gear in great condition.

I have sold a number of guitars on Craigslist. The most recent was a 2016 Fairlane Blue G5420T MF deal of the day. I bought it completely on impulse just because it was so pretty and such a good deal. I barely used it. I prefer my 6119 because it's a far better guitar. The 5420 stayed in the case for most of the time that I had it (5 years). I put it up on CL with all of the (true) selling points that you mentioned. With CL, you see and try a guitar before you buy it. If any of the selling points were not true, it would be obvious.

The liars put those same selling points in their ads just because they know it sparks interest. All that does is penalize honest folks who are selling a near mint guitar. Try before you buy or make sure that there is a reasonable return policy. If it's a bad deal, walk away or renegotiate price and write off the drive and the time as a win. I've seen some folks call out a specific seller on CL when the lies are obvious.

MrWookiee

Country Gent
Jun 17, 2020
SoCal, USA
@Humpblock
* Not a scratch on it
* Closet Queen
* All original
* Original owner
* Hate to let it go

I see "all original" in car ads, too. As in something like, "All original, with fresh paint and upgraded interior." Smh

Pemberton

Synchromatic
Gold Supporting Member
May 4, 2022
Pennsylvania, USA
How about sellers that never respond to a simple question asking about important information they left out of the listing description. I guess they’re not that interested in selling.

19MGB76

Gretschie
Jul 31, 2018
Minnesota
I'm not selling anything, but I have some fabulous gear I rarely use anymore. The gigs around here just don't need it.

I have a dead mint museum quality sax that I'm too nervous to play. It was someones treasure. I bought at the auction of the estate of an old man, in the yard of his run down house, an old silver sax in a rotten smelling case. Everyone else saw another rotten old silver sax worth maybe $150 to the right person.

I figure as a WWII vet he bought it, like some bought a guitar, as something nice for himself after getting state side.

I sent it to the best and had the works done and a new case bought for it. The case is lined with anti-tarnish fabric. The tech who set it up is probably the 2nd person to ever play it. I occasionally take it out of the case to show people, but nobody gets to touch or play it. I'll probably sell it because it is too nice for what I do around here, (I've played for 30 years and am a distinguished member of the top online sax web group, so I know a little about saxes)

Latest posts