Do you still have “the one”?

gtttrrr

Country Gent
Dec 7, 2011
United States
First electric....Christmas 1983....Aria Pro II (Made in Japan)......was actually my primary guitar right up through 2008, and still used often.
Plastic nut replaced with bone nut, floating bridge converted to standard, original pickups replaced with Carvin pickups, 3 way switch replaced with 5 way, original tuners replaced with Sperzel locking tuners (all done in the late 80's, early 90's)...it seems like there was something else, but can't remember off the top of my head.

View attachment 173211

used to jones for one of those back on the 80’s!

OzzPocket

Synchromatic
Aug 11, 2020
NYS
used to jones for one of those back on the 80’s!
lol....that's funny...I'm not sure what they went for back then, but I'm pretty sure it was a low end model...it was usable....but for many years it was a love-hate relationship....when I finally had some work done on it, it really made a huge difference.

The really funny thing was.....I didn't want a guitar....I actually wanted a keyboard...as I was listening to a LOT of The Doors and wanted to play like Ray Manzarek.....but my parents saw me plinking around on a VERY inexpensive acoustic that was lying around the house (no one played or even tried to, so I'm not sure why it was there...lol).....so it was kind of a surprise to say the least.....it was the guitar and a Peavey Backstage Plus (another item that was a love-hate relationship.....not a great sounding amp....but still works to this day...lol)

thunder58

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 23, 2010
tappan ny
Sometimes you can email and ask the manufacturer to mail you a paper catalog though.
Oh , absolutely . I've got lots of Martin and Gretsch Catalogs myself . I called Gretsch about a year ago for a catalog but none were available at the time . I even have the catalog from my 1985 Cutlass Supreme and the window sticker
I have receipts from things I don't have anymore too . ( not just equipment :rolleyes: )
I have receipts from .... a watch that the ex gave me .... :eek: a T.V. I no longer have from about 1987 ..... :p and cancelled checks I'm sure from my first apartment :D and why do I have these things ........ I ain't got a clue :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Gretschtim1

Country Gent
Dec 4, 2012
Dundalk, Md
I used to own a 70ies LPC in winered, too. (Although mine was a little more "brownish-red" coloured.)
Great guitar. I lost it at a concert where I was a guest musician. It was hit by a stage-lighting-traverse that fell down off the ceiling. It broke my Les Paul`s neck and crushed my Stratocaster as well. Neither the promotor nor the "technician" who was resposible for the stage, sound and lighting had an insurance.
So I dumped both in a nearby container and went home.
In hindsight it was a miracle that no man was hurt. (And I mean this deliberately ambiguous.)
Yikes - That's awful - two great guitars gone and since you were a guess probably not much cash involved. That makes me cringe just thinking about it.

Roy Clark

Synchromatic
Jun 16, 2017
Bat cave.
Bought both with min amp at Sam club. Fist Act had one too. My original electric is long gone. So I went to get a cheap but great looking bass guitar. At Sam club. It was a single cut and looked expensive. German body carve. Etc.. Name brand too but I cannot remember the name brand or model name. Family talked me into getting the Yamaha. Oh well.
dlejtl1n0jipkee1k8kv.jpg

EDnbLc0.jpg

f64Eujv.jpg

u06G7jK.jpg

uukyrjqd0wpzaxnict4p.jpg

Ktone

Electromatic
Oct 31, 2021
SE PA USA
Yep

I bought this in the early '80s. I inherited a little money at the time as a young lad. I always wanted a Les Paul. Of course.

A '74 Gibson Les Paul Custom 20th Anniversary in wine red.

Pretty rare as it turns out now, but I didn't know at the time. I was 18 when I bought it, The Custom Shop recently did a reissue. £5k minus a penny if I recall. This is worth about the same now, I think.
My best friend and fellow guitarist at the time got one of those 20th anniversary models for Christmas, in cherry burst. I don’t recall the finish being too Clown Burst-like although we really didn’t know that term back then. I lost track of him after college so I have no idea what became of his guitar. He never got good enough or interested enough to join a band so we went in different directions. I should try to look him up, maybe he still has it in closet queen condition!

sgarnett

Synchromatic
Apr 14, 2020
Kentucky
Oh , absolutely . I've got lots of Martin and Gretsch Catalogs myself . I called Gretsch about a year ago for a catalog but none were available at the time . I even have the catalog from my 1985 Cutlass Supreme and the window sticker

I have recipts from .... a watch that the ex gave me .... :eek: a T.V. I no longer have from about 1987 ..... :p and cancelled checks I'm sure from my first apartment :D and why do I have these things ........ I ain't got a clue :rolleyes:
With major repairs and renovation happening at my house (including turning the basement into bedrooms), I finally had to get rid of my late father’s records from an estate he settled for an aunt. :D Lots of other stuff is going soon too. Forget the “brings you joy” nonsense - I’m trying to look at everything in terms of the cost of storage vs replacement when/if needed.

thunder58

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 23, 2010
tappan ny
With major repairs and renovation happening at my house (including turning the basement into bedrooms), I finally had to get rid of my late father’s records from an estate he settled for an aunt. :D Lots of other stuff is going soon too. Forget the “brings you joy” nonsense - I’m trying to look at everything in terms of the cost of storage vs replacement when/if needed.
A friend uses the 1 year rule .... if he hasn't used it in a year ..out it goes

Back in Black

Country Gent
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
A friend uses the 1 year rule .... if he hasn't used it in a year ..out it goes

Does opening the case within 12 months, just to see if it's sleeping well count as a ''keeper''

Happy New Year ''T''

Best...BIB

P.S. I think I'm going to have two wheels chairs up for grabs shortly...I can assure you they will not be kept as souvenirs, of a time ''fondly remembered".

My German Made M. Hohner Marine Band, in C, circa 1964, is still always close by!

DSCF1437.JPG

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
Nope. I started playing in 1988. First a rental Les Paul copy. The first guitar I owned was a Rickenbacker 320, and I don't miss that one. Then a silverburst Les Paul. It weighed a ton, and its muddiness permanently put me off of humbuckers. Don't miss that one either. Next was a '65 Country Gentleman I got in 1990. In my memory, that guitar through a '64 Bandmaster produced the best tone I ever had. It's anybody's guess whether my memory is accurate, but that's my recollection. I would say that I wish I still had it, but I would presume that the binding is likely crumbling, so maybe I wouldn't even want that one back. I've never been very sentimental about guitars or amps. The next one is always the most exciting.

JC higgy

Gretschified
Jun 6, 2008
Belfast Norn Iron
I sold everything I had to buy my 60s 6120,so I don't have any of my first guitars.
The one was an Epiphone Sheraton from 1985,it was head and shoulders above everything else I owned at the time.
But I sold it in 1989 to help fund my Rickenbacker 360/12v64, I still have that and the 60s 6120 though.

Stefan87

Country Gent
May 20, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
I would say the one guitar that felt like home to me and was my go to for a long time is my Schecter C1+, which will turn 20 years old this year, it's not my first guitar or my first electric guitar as it followed 2 affordable strat copies, a very good tele partscaster and a dearmond starfire special.

It's the one that always came with me everytime I played out or jammed with friends for the very first time, it's completely stock, nothing special about it and although it will never be my number one again I still play it everynow and then and am planning on giving it a bit of love soon actually as it's been out of the rotation for a long while.

It's a pretty solid guitar, basically my 'Les Paul' so to speak as it's a mahogany body with maple cap, rosewood fingerboard, grover hardware, Jazz/JB based pickups and to pick one up used these days is cheaper then a used squier so would recommend having a look if anyone sees an early 2000's schecter locally as they are great value IMO.

20220102_215306.jpg

Desirsar

Gretschie
Jun 9, 2021
Lincoln, NE
Which one do I count? The one from when I was 18 and renting a house with my sister? The acoustic that was a decoration in the living room, with a piece of high E string tying the low E string to the post? And yet I tuned it and tried to start with barre chords and Green Day using tabs?

Or do I go for the one my mom bought me for my 20th birthday? (I also got surgery on both big toes as a birthday present, and then hobbled into the guitar shop, then hobbled into Barnes & Noble for some books on how to teach myself.) I still have that Cort Strat, there's a picture of it floating around the forum somewhere...

tmcq65

Gretschie
Nov 10, 2021
Eastern Tennessee
My "the One" is a bass. G&L SB-1 bought new in the late winter of 1983.

IMG_20220108_134113772.jpg IMG_20220108_134141735.jpg

I replaced the original pickup with some EMG Selects in the 90's, and named it "Bob" after the Bob Ross Style landscape oil painting I did on the body.

This guy has been with me through a lot...started off playing Slovenian polkas...through religious folk, classic rock, blues, and metal.