Do you still have “the one”?

TSims1

Gretschified
Jun 18, 2013
Atlanta
The one from from when you were young? That guitar that really got you in and made you play and gigged for you etc as a young person?

Here’s mine. A ‘95 Fender Standard Telecaster. Used to be white. Played it from 15-30yrs old pretty much exclusively(hard to believe right??). I stripped the poly a few years ago and finished in lots of coats of true oil. It’s a fantastic Tele with all the mojo and thousands of live shows under its belt. The only thing original now though is the neck, body, tuners, and control panel.

BTW - a Strat neck pickup and Tele bridge pickup in a Tele body…….well I almost hate to say it, but it is the best guitar in the world. ;)

612EE190-76B4-49AB-AE4B-428CADC3C446.jpeg

Do you still have yours? Let’s hear about it!

ruger9

Country Gent
Nov 1, 2008
NJ
I don't have the Hondo strat copy (black w/white guard, maple neck) that I bought with my money from working at McDonald's, but I do have my 1st "real" guitar, a Charvel/Jackson 3DR that I modded with a PAF in the neck.

(nothing against Hondo- they were much better than Squiers at that time! Japan was making solid instruments for little money back then)

MY CHARVEL.jpg

TSims1

Gretschified
Jun 18, 2013
Atlanta
I don't have the Hondo strat copy (black w/white guard, maple neck) that I bought with my money from working at McDonald's, but I do have my 1st "real" guitar, a Charvel/Jackson 3DR that I modded with a PAF in the neck.

(nothing against Hondo- they were much better than Squiers at that time! Japan was making solid instruments for little money back then)

View attachment 173143

That’s awesome! I have a Jackson in the stable for those wild moments. ;)

thunder58

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 23, 2010
tappan ny
oh you bet I do .....both of them ;)

The guitar in question in fact it will be 46 years old this Wednesday , Jan 5th .

I was 17 yrs old and between me saving my nickels , and a Xmass gift of $75 from my parents . My father and I spent the day together in The Bronx at Bronans Music where I bought my " real " first guitar . Then we went to McDonalds when McDonalds tasted like hamburgers and fries and had lunch with dad . A great day , a great memory .... Man oh man , I was only 17 years old , had the world ahead of me , and I didn't even know it .

My Yamaha FG-160 . Still have it to this day along with all the ( what little it came with ) case candy . Yes sir , good times and bad . It's been everything from my " chicken wire days " to my " chick magnet " . Seen hundreds of places with 1000's of songs from Jackson Browne to The Eagles to The Beatles along with some Chuck and Elvis and even the theme song to Home Improvement .

As you know , just the other day I posted a thread about a new harmonica ......I'll let the harmonica story tell it's own

I still have both the guitar and harmonica and I'll never let them go , no matter what . It's still part of my soul .

" Heading back to the front porch where I started ,
It's the place where I found the most enjoyment and imagination .
Just me and my guitar ,
The simplicity of not only my playing , but of life .
It's part of my soul "

Thunder

IMG_0574.JPG IMG_0583.JPG IMG_0582.JPG IMG_0581.JPG IMG_0326.JPG IMG_0688.jpg IMG_0689.jpg

mbkri

Country Gent
Sep 22, 2012
Chicago
After a decade of learning and grifting around on steadily better and better equipment i got my first Gretsch in 1992. It helped me get my playing to the next level, and I started playing in better bands. A 1973 Baldwin era treasure. It took overdrive SO well. Country Gentleman into Big Muff, Memory Man into a JC120. What a noise. FA501B26-56B0-4DC3-A688-9DFC1F15373E.jpeg
A5BEEDE8-4262-42D4-BC46-918B51899CB1.jpeg I loved that thing. And it was a gift from my wife. We flew from London to Louisville Kentucky to buy it. Hard to part with it two years ago. But i think you know why i did @TSims1 …..

bluenote23

Country Gent
Oct 17, 2009
Montreal, Canada
I started the guitar later in life in my mid 30s. Before that I was a keyboard player and all those, a Hammond L100 and my Rhodes are long gone.

But in the mid 80s I was looking for a guitar to do some home recordings with and after searching the newspaper want ads (!!!) I found this:
full

It's the sunburst one. For around 15 years, it was the only guitar I had.

GlenP

Country Gent
Jul 23, 2019
WA
0EA1DDA5-C3A5-4B1E-A438-A77467362D28.jpeg 867E7969-7D2F-420E-87CC-708952DF0FC3.jpeg FB25DF0F-B3B8-4D9B-92AD-199353151ED3.jpeg You know what mahogany/spruce dreadnaught looks like, here are few pages from the 1985 Takamine catalog. I bought my EF-340S in the summer of 1986 after graduating from high school and working a summer job to save up. I had just started playing at my church folk group and liked the idea of the built in mic so I would not have to set up another actual mic at church for the guitar.

I had not heard of or ever seen a Takamine before and just really bonded with this one, stopping by the store to try out different models after work. I pretty much found this one to be my favorite and within my budget. It has been a dependable workhorse, and I won’t part with it. But there are times when I wish I had spent more for that rosewood cutaway model, EF-360SC which would later become their Glenn Frey signature model.

These mid 80s Takamines had new headstocks and logos, earlier “lawsuit” models really obviously copied the Martin style in their sincerest form of flattery. At the time these Japanese copies were like the Rodney Dangerfield of guitars, but that was about the most bang for my limited student budget bucks I could afford at the time.

roughly 20 years ago, this was one of my first solo acoustic gigs:

And this is about 20 years and 20 pounds later, the guitar has aged better than I, I don’t play two plus hours standing up these days.

Last edited:

radd

Friend of Fred
Dec 27, 2017
Santa Cruz
Well, after another Summer running a local pool in 74’ I think it was I bought a new Ovation Balladeer

Ya me under the silly arrow. In case you are wondering the female life guards decided amongst themselves what specific model suit they were going to wear as their guard suit. Interestingly enough, no male staff objected

BAC17059-94DB-4A05-B9D5-8776600ACAEC.jpeg

The Guitar, I still have it….But you aren’t looking at the guitar..are you:D

771F4F87-6735-4334-BC5C-04B390854F97.jpeg

Ktone

Electromatic
Oct 31, 2021
SE PA USA
I had been taking lessons for about 3 years at a place in Califon NJ called Sid Kleiner’s House of Guitars. Sid was a Gibson dealer and each week I looked at all the new Les Pauls and SGs on the wall and I knew I wanted a Black Beauty but the price tag was too high for my parents to consider for a teenager who “might” stick with guitar. I used to scour the classifieds looking for a deal and one day in 1975 I saw an ad for a black Les Paul Custom in Bernardsville NJ for $400. I went and checked it out and it was in totally mint condition. It was advertised as a 1970 but had hardly been used because the owner was an unfortunate US Army draftee who chose to head to Canada rather than serve so the guitar had sat around unused for most of its life. His parents were also selling the kid’s amp, a Kustom 200w head and 2x15 cab for another $200. So I borrowed the $600 from my aunt and bought it all. I used that rig for all my gigging in the 70s and the guitar kept my interest in playing at high levels for many many years till I could afford some other guitars too. Seems funny that we all have a herd of guitars each now but back in the day when money was much tighter, most of the guys I know had one electric. Anyway I still have my LPC. I’ve done pot code checking and it seems my LP is a ‘71 since the codes are from Feb 1971. Maybe the body was made in 70 but not completed till early 71, who knows? Anyway here is my 50-51 year old Les Paul Custom:

A4689567-D758-4F48-8C14-FF69B52CCD20.jpeg 7D68B259-226D-4056-8829-E0E93A3B7210.jpeg C7BD5DA8-2EDC-4C20-8E33-3E5073A60544.jpeg

Attachments

• 1A9A6A0B-816D-4FB9-9EFC-F560062D470D.jpeg
    1A9A6A0B-816D-4FB9-9EFC-F560062D470D.jpeg
    230.1 KB · Views: 2

Scarabeus

Gretschie
May 17, 2014
Dallas
Do I still have my blue Samick LA-30 bolt-on neck 335 knockoff ?

No.

I don’t really miss it, either. It wasn’t a bad guitar at all, but i have much better ones now. ;)

It’d be cool to have it still/again for the sake of reminiscing or what have you, but I doubt it would get played often.

73087694-8E1D-4291-9052-7345D56552CC.jpeg

stiv

Country Gent
Sep 12, 2014
Firenze, Italy
I do.
It’s my ‘89 6120, that’s the guitar I bought when things went serious about making music.
Today she became a sort of case queen (although it’s still my best sounding guitar, thanks to a couple of Ray Butts) but every time I open that case, it reminds me who I am and why I kept on making music for 35 years.
It’s the only guitar I have that I never had any thoughts to trade for something else.
My long time friends always ask me “do you still have that Gretsch?”, and some of them don’t even know there’s any other Gretsch model other than mine…:).

JeffreyLeePierre

Country Gent
No, my Ibanez SB70 just vanished in the early 90s.

Bought it from the band's departing rhythm guitarist when I found out I could not both sing and play the bass properly. It lasted as long as that second line up lasted. No memory nor clue how it left my life.

I already posted that pic here on GT ( https://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/the-im-seeing-red-guitar-club-whos-in.185447/page-2 ) but there we go again:

Ibanez sb70 Swirlin ship.jpg

IbStudio1.jpg
(Pic from the internet, with kinda same wears as the one I had).

From time to time I'd like I still have it to check how it plays. Especially after reading it has a small reputation on the internet.

GenghisBomb

Electromatic
Sep 26, 2021
Canada
The one from from when you were young? That guitar that really got you in and made you play and gigged for you etc as a young person?

Here’s mine. A ‘95 Fender Standard Telecaster. Used to be white. Played it from 15-30yrs old pretty much exclusively(hard to believe right??). I stripped the poly a few years ago and finished in lots of coats of true oil. It’s a fantastic Tele with all the mojo and thousands of live shows under its belt. The only thing original now though is the neck, body, tuners, and control panel.

BTW - a Strat neck pickup and Tele bridge pickup in a Tele body…….well I almost hate to say it, but it is the best guitar in the world. ;)

View attachment 173142

Do you still have yours? Let’s hear about it!
No, I sold it when I was young and foolish because I was a dumb 19 year old with no job. Worst thing, I got a job a week later. It was a Fender Jagstang I had been obsessed with for several years, that my mother finally bought me. I wouldn't admit to her that I sold it for several years later, I felt so ashamed.

tifftunes

Electromatic
Jan 12, 2019
Newbury Park, CA
I played "El Kabong" with my first guitar... A Kingston acoustic from sears... My first electric guitar and amp were also from Sears - Teisco Del Rey, and Silvertone 1482 (seen in the photo - 1965). Because of the El Kabong incident, my father sold my Teisco and Silvertone when I went off to college (I took my '68 Gibson SG and '70 H.Yairi made Wilson acoustic with me!)... I have a Teisco Del Rey and 1482 amp, but not the originals... I record the 1482 regularly. Fab amp! Although playable, the Teisco isn't much more than wall art these days.

I'd have to say the SG was my first "good" electric guitar. I don't have it anymore... I was too ignorant to know that all it needed was a good set-up to be good as new. I sold it in '82, and bought a Carvin DC150, which I still have. Outstanding guitar! Shortly after buying the Carvin, I bought a '64 Fender Deluxe Rev (in 1985)... Still have that... Best instrument purchase EVAH! Best studio amp I've ever played! I have (and have had) too many amps, and so have some great choices. But for recording, that Deluxe is the premium amp!

I also still have the Wilson acoustic. It's not just beautiful to look at, but sounds great too! Spoiled me for acoustic guitars. I've never found another that plays as well, sounds and looks as good!
scott playing guitar (2).jpg

c1965 (possibly '66)