Do I really need two penguins? The question I'm battling with.

What colour Penguin would you prefer?

• White G6134

Votes: 34 60.7%
  • Black G6134

Votes: 22 39.3%

• Total voters

Stefan87

Country Gent
May 20, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
I sympathise with your 2 penguin dilemma. As i think you know😉.
I would definitely swop out the pickups in one or the other.
It would be cool to keep them both but life at the moment has pointed financial priorities elsewhere, I can still justify a lower/used mid tier purchase but a new pro level instrument would be on a one in/one out basis, I thought I had all the gretsch models I wanted.....until I tried one I don't have lol, so something has to give.

Stefan87

Country Gent
May 20, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Indeed you need two Penguins!
If I had the money, I would.
But I'm also happy with these two.
View attachment 194365
Now see if I had that in penguin form i would totally be happy, if only gretsch would do a silver and black penguin id buy it now.

I would be happy with your two falcons too, what year model specifically is that silver falcon? love everything about it especially as its filters with a tone knob.

goat ggb

Electromatic
Nov 2, 2022
NorthEast
idk how people play these 17 inch lower bout guitars I'm almost 6ft and Can't hold them for more than 5 minutes without shoulder pain! Sucks too because I love em.

OP I hope you get what you want brother <3

Stefan87

Country Gent
May 20, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
idk how people play these 17 inch lower bout guitars I'm almost 6ft and Can't hold them for more than 5 minutes without shoulder pain! Sucks too because I love em.

OP I hope you get what you want brother <3
I have had the falcon now for 2 weeks and I will say it took a good week of playing everyday for it to actually start feeling comfortable, definitely a different animal.
My gut feeling is that you're going to sell both.
Nah one will definitely stay.

mbkri

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 22, 2012
Chicago
I have had the falcon now for 2 weeks and I will say it took a good week of playing everyday for it to actually start feeling comfortable, definitely a different animal.

Nah one will definitely stay.
The penguin and the falcon. They share the bling and exemplary build quality but not a lot else! My Falcon is a huge beast, but, if memory serves me correctly, i think my Penguin weighed a tiny bit more.
So what do you think, now that youve been Falconed-up for a couple of weeks? Is it as exciting as you thought it would be?

Stefan87

Country Gent
May 20, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
The penguin and the falcon. They share the bling and exemplary build quality but not a lot else! My Falcon is a huge beast, but, if memory serves me correctly, i think my Penguin weighed a tiny bit more.
So what do you think, now that youve been Falconed-up for a couple of weeks? Is it as exciting as you thought it would be?
You are right, I was actually playing all of them on the weekend (most are at my parents house so I don't have access to all at one time often) and the penguins are a tad heavier then the falcon.

Ok so at first when I got the Falcon home and for a few days it did feel a bit weird, I put that down to being so use to the 6118 as that has been my main player lately so to go to a much bigger body and bigger scale felt very different to the point where I did think if I really wanted to keep it....but I kept at it and now a week later it now just seems almost natural, I don't know if it's the bigger body of the longer scale but I actually feel less cramped so to speak then the 6118/6119/6120, even more noticeably when standing.

All in all I am glad I took your advice and went with the big bird and not the smaller centre block one, so I'm super happy with it and consider myself very lucky with how things turned out, I even don't mind the space control bridge but will probably change it out as I can say now that the Falcon is definitely a keeper, need to listen to you more often lol.

Very quick and average group photo while they were all out.
20221120_111301.jpg

Last edited:

Mikethomas

Electromatic
Nov 3, 2022
South Florida
Ok so I have been lucky enough lately to grab a few guitars from off loading unused/wanted things around the house, but I am now tapped out on that option and for any new guitar related things I am now strictly one in one out.

I have also been looking at what I have lately and wanting to change out anything that is a double up or close to the same so I have a bit more diversity in what I have, which now brings me to the Penguins.

I am a big white/black colour scheme person, I also love Gretsch Penguins, when I was a teenager I saw that they did a black and white 6134 penguins and though one of each would be the coolest thing to own, recently I have been lucky enough to achieve that goal but now that I'm a bit older and am looking at things differently I now see more value in having different things then two of the same.

Point is now I'm trying to decide on whether I should sell one to buy a powerjet, yes I could modify a penguin but that would mean new pick ups in dearmond mount, new bridge, removing the arm rest and removing a lot of things that make the penguin what it is, this option will also mean I will be putting in another $500-600 in modding alone where I could easily just sell a penguin and buy a powerjet and either breakeven or possibly come out a little bit on top, so I'm undecided.

So what do you think guys, do I really need two penguins?

Disclaimer: I know it's something only I can decide on, just interested to see what others would do in this position.

Picture below for looking at and poll for fun.

View attachment 159306

Thanks for listening.
Might be worth it and a little bit more diverse to have one penguin with filtertrons and one with dearmonds?