Current Non-Gretsch Player from Oregon

Hodgo88

Electromatic
Jun 26, 2022
Eastern Oregon
Hey all!

I have never owned or even played a Gretsch, but I recently got into the Filter'tron sound and will probably end up venturing into Gretsch ownership eventually. I initially joined here to find a pair of Mega'trons for a short scale (24") Tele I'm building, which happened way faster than trying to find them on TDPRI!

It's an absolute blast reading some of these threads and diving into the Gretsch rabbit hole. Like I said, I've never had the pleasure of even playing a Gretsch, but that's not for a lack of love for some iconic players like Chet, Brian Setzer, and especially Rev Horton Heat!

Emergence

Gretschie
May 25, 2022
New York
Welcome. Realize that a T-type with a Filter-Tron isn’t a Gretsch. I have a Gretsch I love and have left my Fenders all Fender. Gretsch is so unique. Fender is common in comparison, and I say that as the owner of a CS ‘69 Strat.

Build your T-type and enjoy it. Pick up a Gretsch when you have a chance. Then pick up a different model. There’s this Great Gretsch Sound. I don’t know what that is because there are so many of them. But Gretsch is a different experience. That’s something you’ll have to discover on your own.

Hodgo88

Electromatic
Jun 26, 2022
Eastern Oregon
Welcome to G-T. Unlike many guitar forums, we welcome newbies and are helpful to them.
It shows! Guitar players are usually good people, but I'm loving the level of conversation here
Welcome to Gretsch-Talk! Short scale Tele, do tell!
Thanks! I don't think I'd have signed up if you hadn't popped into say hello on my WTB thread.

TL:DR: Warmoth 7/8 Tele bodies (the same as the old Sun Valley guitars) will fit a standard Jaguar/Mustang 24" scale neck. That's what I'm stuffing the Mega'trons in!

Here's what I know about Gretsch guitars: They're typically big, hollow, and orange, unless it's a White Falcon. Which I think Bono or Edge might have played...

Some more background: I myself started out as a 13 year old with a Jimmy Page obsession after hearing "Over the Hills and Far Away". My guitar teacher, an enlightened man and a Hamer player, took that and molded it with John McLaughlin, Al DiMeola, and Pat Metheny albums. Simultaneously, my dad raised me on "classic" rock radio, which by the time I was a teenager included Nirvana (to his vocal dismay). And then, from 16-19, I ran chromatic scales in my bedroom with delusions of grandeur and Paul Gilbert in my head.

At some point, either because of Tommy Emmanuel or because I lost all my flatpicks, I got into fingerpicking. And from there, Chet Atkins. That turned into a chicken' pickin' phase, and I did a little country playing. Now I'm not much more than a stuffed shirt in my 30s coasting towards middle age as a hobbyist guitar player, but I still find myself endlessly curious about the possibilities of the instrument. I am also constantly hacking on one of my guitars or building a partscaster as I stumble through learning some luthiery too.

Anyway, it sounds like I need a Gretsch pronto. My wife's going to love hearing that! Which model(s) should I be looking at?

Highroller

Country Gent
Jun 11, 2015
Portland, OR
... Anyway, it sounds like I need a Gretsch pronto. My wife's going to love hearing that! Which model(s) should I be looking at?

You know, if it's gonna drive the wife crazy, might as well do it up right! 😉

Get yourself a Proline!

Maybe a 6120 (Nashville/Chet Atkins - big, hollow and orange), a 6118 (Anniversary - basically the same thing with a little less bling), or if you like a more LP sized body some kind of Jet (6128/6129, etc).

Hard to go wrong with any of those! Happy shopping!

BuddyHollywood

Gretschie
Sep 11, 2009
Venice, CA
It shows! Guitar players are usually good people, but I'm loving the level of conversation here

Thanks! I don't think I'd have signed up if you hadn't popped into say hello on my WTB thread.

TL:DR: Warmoth 7/8 Tele bodies (the same as the old Sun Valley guitars) will fit a standard Jaguar/Mustang 24" scale neck. That's what I'm stuffing the Mega'trons in!

Here's what I know about Gretsch guitars: They're typically big, hollow, and orange, unless it's a White Falcon. Which I think Bono or Edge might have played...

Some more background: I myself started out as a 13 year old with a Jimmy Page obsession after hearing "Over the Hills and Far Away". My guitar teacher, an enlightened man and a Hamer player, took that and molded it with John McLaughlin, Al DiMeola, and Pat Metheny albums. Simultaneously, my dad raised me on "classic" rock radio, which by the time I was a teenager included Nirvana (to his vocal dismay). And then, from 16-19, I ran chromatic scales in my bedroom with delusions of grandeur and Paul Gilbert in my head.

At some point, either because of Tommy Emmanuel or because I lost all my flatpicks, I got into fingerpicking. And from there, Chet Atkins. That turned into a chicken' pickin' phase, and I did a little country playing. Now I'm not much more than a stuffed shirt in my 30s coasting towards middle age as a hobbyist guitar player, but I still find myself endlessly curious about the possibilities of the instrument. I am also constantly hacking on one of my guitars or building a partscaster as I stumble through learning some luthiery too.

Anyway, it sounds like I need a Gretsch pronto. My wife's going to love hearing that! Which model(s) should I be looking at?
Which models should you be looking at? All of them! Gretsch Guitars

After you do that though then you can start realizing which body size, line, specs, pickups and builds will work best for you. Only about half of the Gretsch guitars are big and even less than that are orange.

Hodgo88

Electromatic
Jun 26, 2022
Eastern Oregon
Which models should you be looking at? All of them! Gretsch Guitars

After you do that though then you can start realizing which body size, line, specs, pickups and builds will work best for you. Only about half of the Gretsch guitars are big and even less than that are orange.

So far my favorite has to be the Orange Sparkle Jet. Also, these are some expensive guitars! I'll have to research opinions on the Electromatics as that's more in my budget.

Fair warning: I'll be moving to Oregon in a couple of years.
It's a beautiful place to live, but a far cry from the rolling hills of Appalachia where I was born. The weather, the geography, and the people all carry the torch of the "Wild" West.

BuddyHollywood

Gretschie
Sep 11, 2009
Venice, CA
So far my favorite has to be the Orange Sparkle Jet. Also, these are some expensive guitars! I'll have to research opinions on the Electromatics as that's more in my budget.

It's a beautiful place to live, but a far cry from the rolling hills of Appalachia where I was born. The weather, the geography, and the people all carry the torch of the "Wild" West.
The G5220 is a great guitar. I've played a few in Guitar Center. I would recommend playing first if you're able. I noticed that there was always 1 that was better than the rest. The rest were still good but if you can, find the guitar that feels great.