Classic Filterton Pick Up mount conversion to a PAF type mount

thunderbaas

Electromatic
Sep 22, 2019
groningen,netherlands
Hello fellow Gretschies
I have a question about placing a set of (old type) black top filtertron pick ups in a PAF type mount. The mounting rings where the blacktops
will be placed in are two nice chromed ones,but they come with only one screw whole at each side (see picture 1) The Blacktop Pick Ups have their mounting screws through the pick up. (picture 2) My idea is to make a small metal plate on which I screw the Blacktops (have to tap screw wholes for that) And then tap some slightly bigger wholes (3mm) for the mounting screws. I can do all this as I have the right tapping tools,but if there are ready made conversion plates I'd prefer these. I allready checked the TV Jones site but their conversion kits work only with TV Jones Pick Ups (they have an upward part which falls into a small space on the bottom which only is found on TV Jones pickups) . And there are conversion sets on Guitar Fetish but unfortunately they are out of stock at the moment. So maybe someone has some advice.

Attachments

• 20220527_161221.jpg
    20220527_161221.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220527_161249.jpg
    20220527_161249.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220527_161331.jpg
    20220527_161331.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 9

Gasee

Gretschie
Jun 4, 2009
North Wales
Yes - this has been a on going issue - with folks switching out pickups... The conversion parts are not available any where. Who knows why.... Good luck.

DasherF

Gretschie
Aug 28, 2020
25 miles SE of Rogers, Mn.
Yes - this has been a on going issue - with folks switching out pickups... The conversion parts are not available any where. Who knows why.... Good luluck.
If I could jump in here, I had the same need with my Epi LP Studio-ish guitar I call Groot...
The parts you need are at www.plhiladelphialuthier.com
Check out the site, be sure to get screws for it, as they don't come with them. 111.jpg 115.jpg

DasherF

Gretschie
Aug 28, 2020
25 miles SE of Rogers, Mn.
Cool Epi!
Thank you, CGL! As a true Ep, it weighs a ton!
I bought it as a neck and body for a parsguitar, previous owner scraped the black finish of with a wire brush and Zipstrip...I liked the rat rod effect so much (I wanted a sunburst)...the front didn't amber up, so I "played it where it layed". After having seen Guardians of the Galaxy, I got a kick out of Groot...hence the name.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
That's a standard mod around these parts. You can use a popsicle stick(or two glued together) cut to length, or use strips of brass or alu. The stuff is so soft you don't even have to tap'm.