Cheap Guitars…

swivel

Country Gent
May 13, 2018
PNW
I'm happy if it starts, stops, and the AC works. A working radio is a plus. These days, I'm more about reliable transportation. Top speed limit around here is 70mph, and I'm not trying to win races or impress the girls. It's more important that a car can go thru the snow than win a race.
I was more of a British sports car guy than a hot rod type. The main drawback on those were the Lucas electrical systems. Fun when they run, but keeping them running was a PITA.
Ah yes, the Lucas electrical nightmare!

Baltibelly

Electromatic
Jun 28, 2020
Redditch UK
I’ve been playing my ‘59 Kay all week, and although it sounds cool and has a “vintage vibe’, it occurred to me that it feels like a cheap guitar to me. Many great old blues and rock recordings were made with inexpensive Harmonys/Stella’s/Kays/Silvertones, but my 2011 Korean made 5120 feels and sounds leagues better. The construction is head and shoulders above my Kay. It just made me think about how obsessed we are buying the most expensive gear we can’t afford, especially since most of us aren’t professional working musicians. Ive been hitting the Reverb and CL lately looking for a 6120 when it struck me that my 5120 and my Road Worn Telecaster are more than good enough for my needs. my cup truly runneth over…
Totally agree as my first serious guitar was a Gibson Sonex Custom which I’m sure cost me well over £300 in I’m sure 1980. Still not a bad instrument but I’ve had a G5420 & a G5410 which have been amazing workmanship, quality & playability plus the price of these instruments unbelievable good value.
I sold my G5410 to fund a Richard Fortus Falcon which my lovely Brother paid for as becoming an OAP Present so want I back again.
Some has said on the thread buy an Electromatic & buy a Compton which incidentally my Bro has done on his G5420 & loves it.
My Compton is en route as having low E bridge popping issues on the Fortus Falcon which is probably more my rough playing style & using 9-42 due to help old builders hands.
Great forum & really positive vibe on here & GAS Rules ❗😅🎸 R&R all.

Attachments

• C2B02912-AE1E-41CE-BE90-E4D197F8455E.jpeg
    C2B02912-AE1E-41CE-BE90-E4D197F8455E.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 5E3FD042-4377-4B13-B307-9D7899058012.jpeg
    5E3FD042-4377-4B13-B307-9D7899058012.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 10

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
The sad part is that today's cars don't have the same panache that those of earlier times. No one's ever gonna say, "Look! A 2009 Hyundai! Cool!" They're just monochromatic jellybeans that all look the same.
You never know. A couple of decades ago, I would have said that cars from the '60s and '70s were universally ugly as sin. Now I'm kind of digging them. The same with architecture from that era. Thirty years from now, maybe the lines of a 2009 might become something the eyes of the future may come to appreciate.
Here's something that has me wondering. Will the cars of today ever survive to be viable roadworthy vintage or antique vehicles? I remember a thread on the GDP where Proteus was relaying his struggle with a 1990s sedan, I want to say Town Car or Crown Vic. He said it was in pristine condition, but unusable because it needed some kind of sensor or something that he absolutely could not acquire. If cars from the 1990s were already computerized to the point that some are now unrepairable, what hope do the cars of today have of being maintained even 30 years from now?

wizard1962

Electromatic
Feb 22, 2010
Glendale AZ
Sometimes the realization that cheap guitars can be great guitars actually can hurt.

I realize my 5120 is a pretty darn good guitar. Holds its own against my Falcon which cost over $2,000 more than the 5120.

Cost me over two thousand dollars to realize my cheap 5120 is a fine guitar.

View attachment 183410
I have the same combo. Falcon looks great hanging on the wall for 12 years. Have upgraded both with TV Jones. Still play the 5120 99% of the time over the falcon.

hcsterg

Friend of Fred
Feb 13, 2012
France
The sad part is that today's cars don't have the same panache that those of earlier times. No one's ever gonna say, "Look! A 2009 Hyundai! Cool!" They're just monochromatic jellybeans that all look the same.

For sure @wabash slim ! I can't agree more...

DUghJb-AAAA-les-2-plus-belles-des-60s-70s.jpg

A+!

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
You never know. A couple of decades ago, I would have said that cars from the '60s and '70s were universally ugly as sin. Now I'm kind of digging them. The same with architecture from that era. Thirty years from now, maybe the lines of a 2009 might become something the eyes of the future may come to appreciate.
Here's something that has me wondering. Will the cars of today ever survive to be viable roadworthy vintage or antique vehicles? I remember a thread on the GDP where Proteus was relaying his struggle with a 1990s sedan, I want to say Town Car or Crown Vic. He said it was in pristine condition, but unusable because it needed some kind of sensor or something that he absolutely could not acquire. If cars from the 1990s were already computerized to the point that some are now unrepairable, what hope do the cars of today have of being maintained even 30 years from now?
With the push toward electric vehicles, and the rapidly rising price of gas, I'm expecting the auto enthusiast hobbies to get severely curtailed. What strikes me as odd is that the pundits want us all to rely on electric vehicles, yet we're being warned about rolling blackouts due to power companies' inability to provide enough juice. We're told to reduce our carbon footprint, yet my home state is #3 in using coal fired boilers to produce electricity.

The Proteus car I liked was his green '50s Caddy, with the interesting attachments.

The "hard-to-find parts" is an odd issue. My boss had an early '70s Caddy convertible. Seems that the handles for the roof catches were made of a flimsy pot metal. Apparently, some semi-retired guy in Florida had gone to every junkyard in the country and bought up every loose Caddy handle on the face of the earth, and then was reselling them at $50 each.

Last edited:

Back in Black

Country Gent
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
I'm happy if it starts, stops, and the AC works. A working radio is a plus. These days, I'm more about reliable transportation. Top speed limit around here is 70mph, and I'm not trying to win races or impress the girls. It's more important that a car can go thru the snow than win a race.
I was more of a British sports car guy than a hot rod type. The main drawback on those were the Lucas electrical systems. Fun when they run, but keeping them running was a PITA.

Ah Lucas...the ''Prince of Darkness".

BIB.

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
In my youth there were only cheap electrics around.
There were only a very few dealers in Germany offering a Gibson or a Fender guitar in their shop. And I am talking about O N E Fender OR Gibson. Mostly used ones.
We had a lot of Japanese guitars that are now condidered classics, though.
Ibanez you could get nearly everywhere. The rest were Salvarez, Maya, Fernandez and some really crappy no-names (with 4 singlecoils and fourteen colourful switches).
Back then they were simply semi-cool.
The only professional guitar-related gear was (mostly secondhand) British amps. Hiwatt, Marshall, Vox in abundance (and for cheap). You could see young guitarists playing their Japanese weirdo guitar through two massive Plexi full-stacks!

MadKaw

Gretschie
Apr 17, 2020
Michigan, USA
All my guitars are budget guitars. I think my 5220 is my most expensive guitar. Even the worst guitar I have, a box store package special, plays well. Now. It took a fair amount of work to get it there, but that's fun, too.
My latest kick is picking up basket cases and bringing them back to life. I get a great feeling taking a guitar that was basically a throw-away, and making it play well, often better than new. It doesn't take a ton of upgrades, even budget parts are often better than what came from the factory.
Anyway, I don't have magic ears. I can't hear the difference between a $500 guitar and a $5,000 guitar. And after the work I put in, there isn't much difference in playability.

BCRatRod73

Synchromatic
Sep 1, 2020
Mississippi
With the push toward electric vehicles, and the rapidly rising price of gas, I'm expecting the auto enthusiast hobbies to get severely curtailed. What strikes me as odd is that the pundits want us all to rely on electric vehicles, yet we're being warned about rolling blackouts due to power companies' inability to provide enough juice. We're told to reduce our carbon footprint, yet my home state is #3 in using coal fired boilers to produce electricity.
And all the ”accidental” food processing plants catching fire and being destroyed. Chickens and cows being killed or destroyed. Farmers being paid to destroy their crops. If you haven’t heard of Klaus Schwab, the World Economic Forum, Agenda 2030, or “you will eat the bugs” then you better do some research and get a food supply in place. Do your research and make up your own mind. I’ll be eating well in the future. No bugs for me.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
And all the ”accidental” food processing plants catching fire and being destroyed. Chickens and cows being killed or destroyed. Farmers being paid to destroy their crops. If you haven’t heard of Klaus Schwab, the World Economic Forum, Agenda 2030, or “you will eat the bugs” then you better do some research and get a food supply in place. Do your research and make up your own mind. I’ll be eating well in the future. No bugs for me.
Soylent Green!

LivingMyDream

Friend of Fred
May 4, 2016
Peculiar, Missouri
80%-ish of my guitars are budget guitars - MIM Strats, an Ibanez AM-93, a couple of PRS SE guitars (although some might argue that one of those really stretches the concept of "budget"), a 5420, a 543TG Pro Jet, a Takamine EG523sc-12, and an Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE. I also have a very nice Taylor 710ce, and a 6119 Tennesse Rose.

Most of the time, it is not one of the higher end guitars that I reach for first. Those are for the right setting, or some special music that I want to play (for myself, or for others). I am very happy with each and every guitar that I have purchased through the years. At this point in my life, I will look at other guitars, but I can't see myself buying anything more without going for sell-off to finance the purchase, and I just really enjoy the guitars that I have. It may be too many guitars for this point in my life, but I still play for others at church, on occasion. Mostly, my guitars make me smile when I play them, whether higher end or budget variety.

So, here are a couple of pics of the family, minus the 5420, It's not currently on the wall.

20220629_132722.jpg 20171022_203930 (2).jpg

BohemianLikeMe

Synchromatic
Apr 18, 2020
Prague, CZ
A few years ago, I was doing a solo day hike out by Karlovy vary in Western Bohemia and I stopped at a pub at a trail head for lunch and a beer. There was an add up there for someone selling their classic Škoda Octavia Touring Sport, one of the great Communist-era Czechoslovak cars, for like the equivalent of $4000. I kind of regret not buying it.

1920px-286._Pekka_Anttalainen_and_Tapani_Valo%2C_Skoda_Octavia_TS_%286002644365%29.jpg