California Gold Rush Roundup Returns! September 9-11, 2022

Ric12String

Gretschie
Jun 6, 2008
California
Group Photo.jpg

After a two-year absence,. I am pleased to be able to announce that the California Gold Rush Roundup will return this year. With new management at Camp Lodestar, there were some issues to work out but we have completed that nicely and are ready to go.

The Roundup will be September 9-11, 2022 once again at Camp Lodestar in the beautiful Sierra Nevada foothill community of Wilseyville, California. All of the traditional elements of the Roundup will return with perhaps a surprise or two as well.

Please mark these dates on your calendar. And, if you have an interest in attending, please indicate that by responding. Once I can finalize the pricing of the event, I will post up another announcement and start taking reservations. Be assured that every effort will be made to continue to offer an affordable Roundup experience. But, for now, just make sure that you don't book any other commitments that weekend where you are conflicted out of attending.

It will be great to see all of you again!

Ric12String

Gretschie
Jun 6, 2008
California
I can imagine that there may be a number of people here that have never heard of a Roundup. Or they are reluctant to attend a Roundup because they may not know many people in attendance. I can only assure them that they will never meet a more welcoming crowd than at a Gretsch Roundup. Attendees are not required to get up and play, but if you have a desire to do so, you will find that there is a very capable band there to back you up.

Over the years, many of our attendees have been from the G-T site, such as Manny Rosales, Sarah Williamson, Hot Rod Michelle, and others. I think that the last Roundup that we had, Sudd (I believe that was his screen name) attended. And, if you've never attended a Roundup, please know that you will be in for a tremendous experience of fellowship with like-minded individuals.

Ric12String

Gretschie
Jun 6, 2008
California
I can’t begin to tell you how happy I am to be able to once again tell you that we are going to have another Roundup this year! September 9-11, 2022. It’s back to Camp Lodestar we go! These past two years without one have been disappointing. These friendships that we have made through the Gretsch brand and community are now feeling like they are lifelong friendships. Time for us to celebrate these important relationships.

And have you been playing much music of late? If not, then what better way to get your musical motor running again than to come together with other Gretsch aficionados to play and sing once again. I spoke to our band glue, Parabar, last week and he is planning on making it if all of the stars align correctly for him. So that means that the band will be good if you want to have some instrumental backing to your playing and singing. And even if you don’t want to play or sing, and just want to hang out with other Gretsch fans, this is the place to do it. Spouses and children are very much welcome at this event if they would like to join you and see what this Roundup business is all about.

And some really special news: Our pal, Joe Carducci, will be leaving his fishing boat behind for a weekend and making his way from his Arizona retirement bungalow to join us at Camp Lodestar. And the best thing is that, given that he is retired, Joe won’t have to be worrying about all of the concerns that he had when he was a part of the FMIC corporate world. He will just be able to relax, play some music, and be a part of the gang. He tells me that he has been writing some new music so we can hope that he might preview one of them for us.

As I believe that I have previously indicated, Camp Lodestar has a new camp host. Jeff, the prior host, who was a guitar player and singer himself, left not long after the last Roundup and we have a new host, Dennis, who tells me that he isn’t really musically inclined, but he does like to listen. So, we are all copasetic.

Unfortunately, the costs for Camp Lodestar have somewhat increased this year. I suppose that that is to be expected after the last presumably tough two plus years that the Camp has undoubtedly experienced. But, the cost increases have been modest and we remain a very price-worthy weekend full of musical fun. Where else can you go for three days/two nights, all meals included for the price of our Roundups? Then, add in the opportunity to play and sing your heart out, or at least to listen. And if Frank Giffen brings all of his new instruments, it will be just like attending a NAMM Show and seeing all the latest offerings by the various manufacturers.

Lodging for this year will remain the same as it has been in past years: We have one men’s and one women’s dormitories. And, we have some small family-sized cabins for families, which will be allotted on a first-come, first-served basis.

For campers, there will be a slight change. For fire safety reasons, all trailers and Rvs have to be parked down in the meadow below the main part of the camp. The local fire officials have made this very clear to our camp host so there really aren’t any options on this. You will need to be fully self-contained as there will be no opportunity to poach off of the electric systems in the dorms or other buildings.

We can use the swimming pool (which some swear by amid the early September heat). However, you must understand that our insurance excludes the use of the pool. So, if you swim, you assume the risk of doing so and you do so with the knowledge that there will be no insurance to cover this activity. Also, there will not be a lifeguard on duty. I don’t say this to deter you from using the pool; rather, I want you to use it being fully informed. (I can hear some of you complaining right now that this sounds like lawyerly talk. LOL Maybe it is! But, it has to be said.)

And, if I can persuade Joe to bring his branding iron again, we have been cleared by the new camp host to have the branding ceremony again. We may not be able to have a big ol’ rip roaring fire, but he tells me that we will be able to get the brand hot enough to burn the wood.

And, and, and...despite the fact that Joe is no longer in charge of Gretsch largesse, I think that we may find that some swag packages from FMIC/Scottsdale will have arrived at Camp Lodestar when we get there. We will have to wait to see what goodies Gretsch will have bestowed upon us. Which, of course, means that Joe will be able to lead out again in the now-legendary “Pick Drop” game where you have a chance to win something like a t-shirt or a set of strings or some other cool stuff from Gretsch. Seriously, the good news in all of this is that those who continue to manage all Gretsch affairs within FMIC still have a love for the consumers of the brand like you and me. They appreciate us and they fully support these Roundup events. That was extremely nice to hear.

So, the rates for this year’s event are as follows:

Fri/Sat/Sun Cabin 5 meals $225.00
Sat/Sun Cabin 3 meals $135.00

Fri/Sat/Sun Camp 5 meals $150.00
Sat/Sun Camp 3 meals $100.00

Please plan to pay using PayPal submitting your payment to @CaliforniaRoundup. Please ONLY use the Friends & Family option. If you use any other option, you will regrettably end up having to pay the surcharge. Please check your arithmetic before you click on “Send” in PayPal.

When can you begin to reserve your place at the Roundup table? Right now. RESERVATIONS ARE OFFICIALLY OPEN!

Send in your questions, but most importantly send me an email confirming the following:

1. Name(s) of attendee(s).
2. Whether you want to attend for all three days or only two days.
3. Are you coming as a family where you will be allowed to sign up for one of the small cabins. Remember, first-come, first-served.
4. Please send me your cell phone in case I have to get in touch with you for any reason about your reservation.

Do we want to have t-shirts this year? If so, I will have to get right on to it with our favorite Gretsch artist, Vince Ray, to see what ideas he might have. Let me know if you think you’d like to see us have shirts again and I can jump on to this.

Okay, gals and guys, I am really looking forward to seeing you next month. Let’s have a grand ol’ time at the 2022 Roundup!

Ric12String

Gretschie
Jun 6, 2008
California
And, and, and ... in addition to the possible Gretsch swag, we will have a very cool amp to give away from Cave Valley Amps. I will allow Ethan to come on here and fill you in on all of the details, but when he told me what he had put together for this giveaway, I was quite impressed. The boy knows his amplifiers!

Powdog

Electromatic
Mar 15, 2012
Cool,CA
And, and, and ... in addition to the possible Gretsch swag, we will have a very cool amp to give away from Cave Valley Amps. I will allow Ethan to come on here and fill you in on all of the details, but when he told me what he had put together for this giveaway, I was quite impressed. The boy knows his amplifiers!
1659551499232.jpeg
One possibility.

Powdog

Electromatic
Mar 15, 2012
Cool,CA
1659565778854.jpeg
It’s a rat-rod amp made from stuff I had laying around the shop. The cab is finger jointed poplar covered in a 50s Gibson flavor. The control panel has the same Gibson vibe. The amp is a Hammond AO-35 reverb amp, gutted and rebuilt with a 5E3 Deluxe circuit.

Powdog

Electromatic
Mar 15, 2012
Cool,CA
1659567373488.jpeg
One of my custom builds, this one has a dovetailed birdseye pine cab with a 50s Valco/Gretschy speaker cutout. The Supro circuit is shoehorned into a 5F1 chassis and has the classic Instrument/Mic three inputs, with both Volume and Tone controls in a single dual concentric pot. Octal preamp, it has a fatter tone than a Champ.

Ric12String

Gretschie
Jun 6, 2008
California
That 5E3 Deluxe circuit amp looks like a killer amplifier! Does it have a 12" speaker? What kind of speaker is it?

Ethan, you da man! It is so great of you to do this for the Roundup!

Ric12String

Gretschie
Jun 6, 2008
California
A few photos from a recent Roundup to let everyone share in the vibe of the event.

DSC02598-800.jpg
An acoustic gathering on Friday night on the deck outside the Dining Hall. This is the opportunity for some harmony singing and playing the songs from our youth.

DSC02599.JPG
Roundups are a great place to renew old friendships and make new ones. DSC02628.JPG
Mel and Rocky harmonizing.

DSC02596-800.jpg
DrGretsch Geoff demoing his 6120 for everyone. DSC02593-800.jpg
Hipbone Greg making everyone Cadillac green with envy about his White Penguin!

DSC02613-800.jpg
Double kick drums!

DSC02614-800.jpg
Twangmeisternyc

DSC02622-800.jpg
Ethan / Cave Valley Amps working his magic.

DSC02623-800.jpg
Non-stop music!

DSC02631-800.jpg
The board branding ritual with the Gretsch G-brand.

Ric12String

Gretschie
Jun 6, 2008
California
DSC02636-800.jpg
The Pick-Drop band in action.

DSC02637-800.jpg
Joe Carducci adds his blessing to the haul of the lucky winners from the swagfest. DSC02641-800.jpg
Powertronman Tom taking his grand prize for a spin after the swagfest.

DSC02616-800.jpg
The big prizes at the swagfest (as well as the great little amp from Ethan/Cave Valley Amps).

DSC02603-800.jpg
And the group shot.

These Roundup events are so much fun. I can't wait to see all of these people again this year. Be sure to send me a message if you need more information, or post any questions right here in this thread.

Latest posts