Black P/G & rings on orange 5420 ?

GAMBLER1234

Gretschie
Jan 18, 2018
Henderson Nevada
Some years back I got the guard and rings for my 6119 Tenny from Greasy Groove.

AM-JKLUMSM0I1sJjgBvAKUJzT2YUujCdeQ8XnFbhTVDGrkN0saU_Y3p1BQFw-6gNDFVqZwF0lnJ6qBsMLkUC7GMjnLJJyrczei168SEt8wewkKesZSmD_IrUtd0H3zKZa-5ou_8OMMKw0U_NpwX2VHP8EG0g=w318-h640-no

AM-JKLWqy25t9LoVQz3w8heQ2H6QHSlBKLBsJCuKJgO4Ub8MY8AV3sRL7JcUP2SePvcxlC4S6WQBm84geXUpXaho26IRgnEYJ1GaJDaZd6HkpC5453EpVj_EiMhUvmSNhw1Ohs_34KUphlRFcPpXHejCn0YH=w454-h640-no

AM-JKLUZnbnpDgrM0Fd6DyWy_qJmXP-dpXfI13JXZ7EAm2S-McH7-7V0a1kwpnxblXRmYADc1Mkg9NxdIIkhXLwTYK_huCL9vlvRkh6Halgtiv41qNnItbr3V_SC3jD7oa3L_eXHN2C0Z4AIX-0lGhGDAYuF=w1106-h977-no

FiveAces

Gretschie
Mar 1, 2009
San Diego, CA
I've seen the 5420 PVC ones for sale. I think that's what Quickguards has. I don't think I've seen 5420/BT clear pickup rings for sale anywhere. I've seen the Classic ones. Not sure if any 5420 came factory with clear rings. They do come with black rings and black pickguard so should be available somewhere........

Wow... I feel foolish! I was just going through my parts box and found a pair of used BT FilterTrons I bought years ago. They were from a 5420 RatRod (has the red insert instead of black) .... and low and behold they came with all thye hardware and BLACK PICKUP Rings!!! I'm sure they are OEM factory parts because the guy I got them from bought the guitar new and immediately removed them in favor of TVJ pickups! Hmmmm...... may be another project in the works!

RatRod Pickups.jpg

VRomanojr

Electromatic
Dec 4, 2012
West Virginia
Wow... I feel foolish! I was just going through my parts box and found a pair of used BT FilterTrons I bought years ago. They were from a 5420 RatRod (has the red insert instead of black) .... and low and behold they came with all thye hardware and BLACK PICKUP Rings!!! I'm sure they are OEM factory parts because the guy I got them from bought the guitar new and immediately removed them in favor of TVJ pickups! Hmmmm...... may be another project in the works!

View attachment 179187
Yeah, that was my point. Black guards and rings are a standard 5420 Gretsch item but don't seem to be available anywhere online. I emailed/asked Gretsch and they pointed me to TV Jones and Darren Riley - neither show black guards and rings. I'm going to email them to see if they can get them. Probably should have done that originally.

GretschTorino

Dec 5, 2021
Torino Italy
I made my 5420t a Jazz guitar by installing a Gibson pickup. Best decision ever, sounds like a Joe Pass Archtop. (I had to buy a special frame for it)

I didn't like the original neck pickup as I'm not a country/rockabilly player. They sound good, don't get me wrong, it was not the tone I liked. I can still use the bridge one and blend some twang mixed in if I want.

Can you please tell what Pu and frame did you use? I'd like to use my 2420 for jazz..txs!