BILLY GIBBONS PLAYING AN ELECTROMATIC JET?

GreTschocaster

Synchromatic
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 11, 2013
Canada
I was watching a Sept 25 ZZ Top concert at The Woodlands TX. Billy was playing a red Jet. Not sure of the exact model but with that style Bigsby I am thinking an Electromatic G5230T??. Does any of our Jet model experts know for sure? Screenshot_20220930-082359_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:

Byron

Country Gent
Sep 4, 2009
uk
It could be, but it looks like there's TArmond pickups installed. Could be a Firebird but everything else does look like the G5230t

LesB3

Gretschie
Silver Member
Aug 17, 2021
Philadelphia, PA
If you look at the pickup surrounds, they are the "two screws on one side, one on the other" style mount. Do the use those on anything but Electromatics?

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
If you look at the pickup surrounds, they are the "two screws on one side, one on the other" style mount. Do the use those on anything but Electromatics?
Good eye. The proline 6228 seems to use similar adjustment screws, but I am not aware that any of those come with the thumbnail fretmarkers. I would also guess a electromatic.

GreTschocaster

Synchromatic
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 11, 2013
Canada
When I was in Arizona I bought a G5220 off Craigslist that had TV Jones Classic pickups installed. I own 2 other pro line Jets and have to say I enjoy playing the G5220 very much.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
A lot of the guitars Billy's been using live for the last decade are made by John Bolin. Common trait is they're all weight relieved. I wouldn't be surprised if that guitar was re-topped after some heavy duty routing job.

emgee254

Gretschie
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2020
California
Looks like a B50 -- the logo looks to have "LICENSED" on it. Don't think he would have a licensed Bigsby put on his Gretsch. Gotta be a 5230T.

Latest posts