Bigsby or Les Trem?

Mark W

Country Gent
Jun 6, 2008
Central Florida
I have owned two Les Trems. They are nice and work quite well. Easy to install. But I guess I am old fashioned and a Bigsby - even a B6 with a Towner is much more classic and is worth the extra cost and effort. Towner has pieces that make the Bigsby install pretty smooth with basically no drilling.

101dam

Electromatic
Mar 21, 2010
I'm on the verge of getting a V cut Bigsby B3 and a Towner bar for my Electromatic Jet but I'm hesitating because I've heard it said that a Bigsby can affect the tone of the guitar negatively. Should I just get a Les Trem instead? What do people think?
Just my 2 cents worth, I never thought the tone of my guitars was affected in any discernible way by installing a tremolo, but I did notice tuning instability that was not just my imagination. So when I picked a Streamliner as a husk, I came across some quality PRS tuners that I used with it. With the bare guitar, I had a blank body to install a trem, but I chose to use a Gretsch 'G' solid tailpiece. Now I have a guitar that stays in tune for extended periods of time.

Attachments

• Auction.jpg
    Auction.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 14
  • PRS TunersStock.jpg
    PRS TunersStock.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 12
  • StreamlinerG.jpg
    StreamlinerG.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2063.jpg
    IMG_2063.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 14
  • Tail.jpg
    Tail.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 13

Mr Twangy

Gretschie
Dec 27, 2020
Canada
Well I pulled the trigger today on a V cut B3 and a Towner kit. Thanks everybody for the feedback and advice. More than one of you pointed out that a Gretsch just needs to have a Bigsby and that's exactly the kind of argument I'm always going to respond to! I can't wait until it's delivered and I'll post pics when it's installed.

Last edited: