Bigsby Model for Pro Jet

tmcq65

Gretschie
Nov 10, 2021
Eastern Tennessee
Just confirming what I understand here ...I am buying a used Electromatic Pro Jet, and I will eventually want to add a Bigsby. If I understand correctly, this model would require a B5 because the string height off the body is not sufficient for a suitable break angle with a B3.
This model (I believe it is a 2017 G5435) has a stud-mounted tune-o-matic bridge and stop tailpiece.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
The old style is a G5235 and they came from the factory with a B50.
Anything you can get to work, like B5 or the B3 Wayne Gretschzky shows is fine.

Mr Twangy

Gretschie
Dec 27, 2020
Canada
Just confirming what I understand here ...I am buying a used Electromatic Pro Jet, and I will eventually want to add a Bigsby. If I understand correctly, this model would require a B5 because the string height off the body is not sufficient for a suitable break angle with a B3.
This model (I believe it is a 2017 G5435) has a stud-mounted tune-o-matic bridge and stop tailpiece.
I can really recommend a B3G with a Towner down tension bar.
20220608_110748.jpg

Last edited:

Back in Black

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
TM,

I went this way, the Vintage ''V''.

Have had this Pro Jet since the very early 2000's.

At the time, I had George Harrison on my mind.

Made it look similar to the professional model. Replaced the T-O-M bridge with a Gretsch Rocking Bar bridge.

Replaced the mini humbuckers with a pair of original DeArmond Dynas, added new vintage style Sliver, back painted PG.

As you've already noted, with the low top of neck off body profile, I mounted the Rocking Bar, minus its wood base.

I play the Pro Jet regularly, haven't had the case open on the Professional Model for well over 3 years.

Guitar still has the original Electromatic wiring harness...never a problem!

Best,

BIB
2010_01290001.JPG IMG_0231.JPG

tmcq65

Gretschie
Nov 10, 2021
Eastern Tennessee
Thanks all for the inspiration. I have presented the George Harrison appearance similarities to Mrs. Tmcq65, but personally I'm thinking more Cliff Gallup.

I can't yet picture how it will all fit until I get it in my hands.

hcsterg

Friend of Fred
Silver Member
Feb 13, 2012
France
My two G5220LH have no Towner Bar 😎 with the B3, but it is an operation to achieve this... 🤪

q6pTOb-P1160784.jpg

Otherwise, rather than the B5 route, I also strongly recommend the solution as presented by @Mr Twangy : B3 plus Towner Bar ! Simple, easy to install and efficient...

A+!

Mr Twangy

Gretschie
Dec 27, 2020
Canada
My two G5220LH have no Towner Bar 😎 with the B3, but it is an operation to achieve this... 🤪

q6pTOb-P1160784.jpg

Otherwise, rather than the B5 route, I also strongly recommend the solution as presented by @Mr Twangy : B3 plus Towner Bar ! Simple, easy to install and efficient...

A+!
Thanks, I can honestly say it took no more than 10 minutes to install the Bigsby and the Towner (not counting my first experience of restringing a Bigsby (!) It functioned perfectly immediately and I have had zero tuning problems, and zero effect on the tone of the guitar. I think the OP mentioned he had an adjustomatic bridge and I don't think there's any better configuration than the B3 and the Towner for those. I certainly wasn't at all interested in the B5 and I don't get why Gretsch put those (or B50s actually) on Jets.

Wayne Gretschzky

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 27, 2008
East Coast
Are the pickups original? Cos I saw a black jet on GC with P90s and just considered it as a mod job. But now I see one like that with you.

The P-90s in my Pro Jet are not original. The mod was made before I acquired it, so I don't know what exactly flavor of P-90 they are.

ESGslim

Electromatic
Gold Supporting Member
May 23, 2021
Merrick NY
I bought and added the Gretsch V Bigsby and the TruArc compensated bridge, added Gotoh tuners to my G5220 (had the V stop tail), plugged the holes for the stop tail and voila!
Guitar plays like a dream, though I might change out the pickups…

Question- to Back in Black:
Where did you order the pick guard? Looks great

Attachments

• D432A00A-B882-4F16-8571-A7EADA0EA21A.jpeg
    D432A00A-B882-4F16-8571-A7EADA0EA21A.jpeg
    264.4 KB · Views: 7

LesPauloholic

Gretschie
May 12, 2010
Denver Colorado
I've added B3s to 2 pro jets. I would say the string break angle is marginal on them. If you require super low action, it probably won't work, but if you can get away with medium action you'll likely be just fine.