Best clean amps

Mandojoe

Electromatic
Mar 29, 2022
Mexico
Looking for a nice clean sound amp to go with my new 5422 GT classic. Thinking of either a katana 50 or 100, a Roland blues cube, or a Roland JC 40 or JC 22. Any comments would be much appreciated. Sound is prob most important, but I would like the app to have the capability of inputting backing tracks, attaching headphones, and sounding reasonable at low volumes for household practice. Not one for fooling around with computers for sounds. Yes Also small gig worthy. Your input valuable, thanks much

Viper

Electromatic
Feb 1, 2009
Iowa City, Iowa
Tired of carrying a heavy Deluxe Reverb to small gigs, I found a solid state jazz amp made by DV Mark; the Jazz 12. It stays clean all the way up and, even with a 12” speaker, only weighs 17 pounds. With a direct out it’s easy to get into the PA mix without micing the cabinet. I use it with a Fulltone Fat Boost for extra volume on solos. The sound of my Gretsches and Guild archtop really shines through with this amp, and with the addition of a Maxon compressor, the Tele sounds excellent.

I suspect a lot of solid state amps sound comparable to the Jazz 12. So much engineering in both solid state and tube amps goes into the perfect overdriven distortion that we forget how good a clean, clear guitar tone can be.

Last edited:

cycler

Electromatic
Feb 11, 2022
I have a Roland Blues Cube, the stage model. Very nice amp, plenty of clean sounds, and the built in attenuator allows me to dial down to .5 watts. The stage version tops out at 65 watts max. The artist model, 85 watts, I think. Either model would serve you well, especially if you have need to turn it down when playing at home.

tastetickles

Electromatic
Oct 16, 2021
Brunei
Definitely not the Katana not because it's bad but there are better in the price range. I have the Katana and a Boss Nextone which is based off the Roland Blues Cube, I prefer the Nextone.

I do not have the Roland JC40 yet but there is a common observation among many owners which is the hiss but hardly noticable when they play. But take this with a grain of salt as I have not have the chance to experience it.

Why not get a Fender Deluxe Reverb or a Princeton?

TomM

May 13, 2016
Arizona
Looking for a nice clean sound amp to go with my new 5422 GT classic. Thinking of either a katana 50 or 100, a Roland blues cube, or a Roland JC 40 or JC 22. Any comments would be much appreciated. Sound is prob most important, but I would like the app to have the capability of inputting backing tracks, attaching headphones, and sounding reasonable at low volumes for household practice. Not one for fooling around with computers for sounds. Yes Also small gig worthy. Your input valuable, thanks much
Aside from reading different forums and polls as to which is "the best," take the time to plug your guitar into each amp. Certain amps "get along better" with certain guitars. Just like people. In case you don't want to do that, consider reading these:

Ever thought of getting a Helix-ish set-up, or something similar?

Between Boss, Roland and Line-6, see which company nails the effects you're looking for. I've been pleased with Roland and Line-6. YMMV.

There are more reviews, but you get the point. How strong is your back? Certain (heavy) amps lose their "charm" over time as back issues and age-related pains go up. I used to do a lot of live gigs. A small, light amp through a good house system have a certain appeal. So do big, heavy brutes that don't need the house if your back is up to the task, or, you have help.

Also keep in mind that hearing is dependent on a number of physiological factors. It's subjective. It's also dependent on the room in which you're playing. Then again, some amps just kick ass.

Plug and play. That way, you'll know for sure.

ultra16

Electromatic
Mar 19, 2022
New York
Myself I liked the AC30 with one 12. Beatifull sounding amp. You may even like a Supro nice clean sound.

Psychopasta

Electromatic
Nov 29, 2014
Seattle, WA
Katana50 sounds great and has all the inputs/outputs at the back you'll need. It also have variable power so it can be quiet at home and loud outside.

Papa Dafoe

Electromatic
Mar 23, 2022
British Columbia
Last edited:

Papa Dafoe

Electromatic
Mar 23, 2022
British Columbia
Fender Princeton Reverb, great recording amp, loud enough for small gigs, quality reverb and a brilliant clean sound. There not cheap, but you get a quality amp
I love my PR, and the clean is absolutely outstanding at home volume levels. If this is going to be played live with a full band, it may not be a great choice though. Once the volume gets past noon the tone gets gritty. Gets gritty in the best possible way, but nevertheless, it stops being clean.