Bad Guitar Day

Shock

Gretschie
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
I ran into a guy today. He told me he was given a Gretsch by someone for work. Like instead of money. He said it was a white one. So I asked if it was a White Falcon. He said it was. So he showed it to me. I had to break the bad news to him. It was a fake.
Fake falcon 1.jpeg

The serial number is a good one, from 1966 according to the decoder. But obviously not a 1966.

Fake Falcon 2.jpeg

A little hard to pick up in this pic, but the slant on the "h" is wrong. and a hacked up job on the nut.

Fake Falcon 3.jpeg

This pic really shows the problems. He did suspect it wasn't real. Let the buyer beware.

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
I always wonder who is actually buying guitars like that.
For the sake of playing it you could get a working Ibanez at this pricepoint and be happy.

If you originally wanted to show-off with a luxury instrument and buy something like that for cheap, everybody and his grandma would instantly notice that it is not the real thing and would laugh at you. Noone would be impressed by it.

Andrew6128

Electromatic
Oct 20, 2019
Japan, Tokyo
Some of that binding work is a **** show.
Especially how it hangs off the headstock like that.

Can be a good project guitar as a base for modding perhaps?
I’d start with etching the Gretsch logo off that headstock to save your friend from further embarrassment…

Highroller

Country Gent
Jun 11, 2015
Portland, OR
That's sad. Maybe the guy that gave it to your friend didn't know either. Just saying ... it ain't likely, but maybe.

Did this just happen? Or is it something he's already had for years? If the dude's honest they should try to work something out. The guitar's not what he claimed it was - not even close. It's basically like passing counterfeit money.

Not a good thing.

Shock

Gretschie
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
That's sad. Maybe the guy that gave it to your friend didn't know either. Just saying ... it ain't likely, but maybe.

Did this just happen? Or is it something he's already had for years? If the dude's honest they should try to work something out. The guitar's not what he claimed it was - not even close. It's basically like passing counterfeit money.

Not a good thing.
Not sure exactly when the deal went down. Probably a year ago. I was working on a house across the street from him yesterday, and at the end of the day he came out to ask me some questions when I was packing out for the weekend. So I had time and was feeling chatty. He has an art show in his yard every year and has bands over. So I mentioned I would play his show in the yard. So we talked about guitars a bit. He said he has one, and he would show it to me. I told him if he had a White Falcon I would buy it from him if he didn't know what to do with it.

So the back story is he knows where the guy lives, and says the guy has a rummage sale every year. Its going to be in June. That is where he saw this guitar at. So I am not sure what kind of sketch deal transpired. I pointed out the incorrect pickups, the lack of binding on the F holes, the jacked up serial number, Falcons weren't made in the US when this one was built, the AB-1 bridge, etc. So I didn't ask him a lot, just let him talk.

So in all honesty, I don't know the guy, other than just meeting him. But he seemed to be straight with me. He was like, "oh well..." about it. But I live in the big city. We have a lot of evildoers. For all I know, the guy could have a basement full of Chibsons and Gretschinas. Because you see the cheap trapeze, there was a real Gretsch trapeze in the case. I didn't think much about it until now. Hmmm. Why would a guy have a real Gretsch trapeze in a case with a Gretschina?