B60 height misalignment on my KS0512

Jake67

Electromatic
Sep 8, 2023
melbourne
Hi myB60 has an alighnment issue that seems to me to built into it so rather silly. The issue is that with the guitar being arch topped the length of the B60 points of contact with the guitar ie the rear of the guitar to the bottom of the spring. Means that where the bigby contancs to other side of the strings from the spring is staggered in realtion to the end of the guitar.This means that the height of the roller is skewered from the top side which is low to the bottom spring side which much higher. Looking at from the end toward the bridge it is remarkably out of parallel. This must consequently affect tuning and have flow on issues. I have tried to shimmy the top with a felt pad with limited success. Have others had this issue if so how have you resolved it. Many thanks

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
Installing a flat hinge bracket on a rounded bout is fraught with potential issues. There is always play in the hinge(by design). String tension does the rest and pulls the trem to one side, causing the other side to lift.

Jake67

Electromatic
Sep 8, 2023
melbourne
Just on taking the pics I noticed the bigsby has a felt stick on shim just above where I put that white felt. I'm worried about stressing the top of the guitar as under the pressure of the strings there seems to be quite alot. It seems the little black shim they fitted means they are aware of the issue but I could not find anything on it. Thanks

Attachments

• B60:1.jpeg
    B60:1.jpeg
    38.5 KB · Views: 23
  • B60:2.jpeg
    B60:2.jpeg
    51.7 KB · Views: 23
  • B60:3.jpeg
    B60:3.jpeg
    42.7 KB · Views: 23

Cryin_Caleb_Aaron

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
All Bigsby B6 and B60 models have that little black felt pad since he olden days.
That white felt you put there won’t help tuning issues. You want the bigsby flat on the guitar top.
Your guitar top can handle it.

Jake67

Electromatic
Sep 8, 2023
melbourne
Thanks in the operation of the bigsby surely it should be parallel with the bridge otherwise it would mean the strings on the low side would travel further than the ones on the high sideminimal it may be but it would still have an effect. Also I find it annoying that it could be so far out of parrallel. You can't see from the pics cos the white felts there but without it the thickness of the felt is how far out of parrallel it is. Seems inordinate and clumsy. Certainly not elegant as I reckon my Gretsch should be

Henry

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
How does the Bigsby work? Any issues with tuning or pinching strings or strings to close to the fretboand?

If it works fine it is fine.

Henry

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
Thanks in the operation of the bigsby surely it should be parallel with the bridge otherwise it would mean the strings on the low side would travel further than the ones on the high sideminimal it may be but it would still have an effect. Also I find it annoying that it could be so far out of parrallel. You can't see from the pics cos the white felts there but without it the thickness of the felt is how far out of parrallel it is. Seems inordinate and clumsy. Certainly not elegant as I reckon my Gretsch should be
It will not be parallel with the bridge because a bridge on an arch top will not necessarily be perpendicular to the long axis. Especially with a space control bridge like yours, maximizing intonation will require that the bridge be at an angle.

Even the bigsby while installed should theoretically be perpendicular may not always be so.

Maybe if you used the exact same string, including gauge, you could achieve the perpedicularity you are seeking. a bugsby is a delicate balance of tension from 6 strings of varying gauge and constrction and a spring. It's not gonna "look perfect".

As noted above, don't worry too much about how it looks if it works fine.

Cryin_Caleb_Aaron

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
How does the Bigsby work? Any issues with tuning or pinching strings or strings to close to the fretboand?

If it works fine it is fine.
I was about to ask the same thing.
Both the the B6 on my Falcon and my 6120 look kind of like that. They stay in tune wonderfully. As long as it doesn’t raise off the guitar while being used, it should be fine.

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
I don't think it matters much, these guitars have had those Bigsbys for decades and they seem to work well.

Make sure your strings are well centered on the fretboard, thankfully your bridge can adjust that.
Loosen the screws in the Bigsby mount and see if the alignment changes. I doubt that a tight screw could move it that much but worth a look.
I have heard of people unhappy with the alignment who moved the mount over a little to try to compensate but I don't think it mattered.

Maybe if you put felt washers on all the mounting screws it could realign itself?

Sea Devil

Gretschie
Jan 7, 2023
Brooklyn, NY
It actually looks perfect in the photo shot from the Bigsby side. If you want it to sit where it does now without the extra pad, you'll have to move all but one (usually that means two, but in some cases it means three) of the screws that attach the hinge plate to the end of the guitar. There's no other way. The holes will be invisible, so why not?

Member Henry has apparently misunderstood what the OP meant by alignment. He didn't mean that angling the floating bridge to achieve better intonation was unsightly. He was sighting down the neck, not looking at the guitar from the front.

Berington

Gretschie
Jan 6, 2014
Los Angeles
It would seem to me that the problem most likely lies in the 3 end mounting screws, behind the hinge. Either that, or the whole unit is defective... skewed somehow and it won't lie flat. My first thought was to slightly loosen those end screws (loosen the strings first so the whole thing won't possibly go airborn, in your face!) and see if you can level the whole unit with the top of the guitar. If you can't level it by just loosening them, you may have to re-mark and re-drill at least one of the top two holes, or both, trying to keep the lower, center screw... well, centered. If it is now. If this is something you may not want to attempt, certainly a decent guitar repair shop would be easily able to fix it for you, and it's a very simple repair, it shouldn't cost much. GOOD LUCK! Cheers!

Berington

Gretschie
Jan 6, 2014
Los Angeles
All Bigsby B6 and B60 models have that little black felt pad since he olden days.
That white felt you put there won’t help tuning issues. You want the bigsby flat on the guitar top.
Your guitar top can handle it.
Absolutely. There's little downward pressure on the guitar top; it's all end-to-end. Good luck! Cheers!

tartanphantom

Friend of Fred
Jul 30, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
There have been many a Bigsby unit that was erroneously mounted off-centerline at the factory over the years, and this can cause the exact problem you're dealing with.

Begin by making sure that the Bigsby hinge is directly on centerline with the the body and neck. Lay the guitar face up flat and sight it from the bottom of the guitar, looking up the fretboard from the Bigsby end.

If the Bigsby mounting hinge is centered perfectly, (I'm just guessing that it's not) OR if the hinge is mounted at a slight angle, then you know where to start to correct it.