Anybody ever remove the 6th string for the Keith Richards open G set up?

MatchlessMan

Country Gent
Nov 29, 2010
Swindon UK
I used to play Keef's part in a Stones tribute band, and I always played in standard tuning except for dropping the A string down to G for the opener, 'Start Me Up'. Keef has an assistant (Johnny Starbuck?) to hand him a different guitar every other song - I don't!

Here's a gratuitous photo of 5-string Tele stalwart Micawber:

micawber2.jpg

s11141827

Electromatic
Jun 6, 2022
jax florida
I used to but I actually have an old 5 String Ukrainian folk Guitar that's already made for that Tuning called a Bandurka 1674607850610.png & what I love about it is the Circular Body & scroll headstock.

s11141827

Electromatic
Jun 6, 2022
jax florida
I also do Open G a bit differently this time on the 6 Stringers, I tune to Open E & put a capo on the 3rd Fret which gives me Open G w/ a High G on the top which is a bit uncommon: but brighter & clearer sounding. To get Open G Tuning on a 6 String Guitar (which would basically be like playing in Open E w/ a capo on the 3rd Fret) I figured I needed a Shorter Scale Guitar & lighter strings. I settled on this cute little Reverend Electric Alto Guitar (as played by Billy Corgan) which is designed to be tuned a Minor Third above a Standard Guitar (basically like a Normal Guitar w/ a Capo on the 3rd Fret). This allowed me to tune up to Open G (G, D, G, B, D, G) which would basically be like playing in Open E Tuning w/ a Capo on the 3rd Fret. 1674608113066.png

Latest posts