Anybody ever remove the 6th string for the Keith Richards open G set up?

nickurso

Gretschified
Dec 24, 2012
New Orleans la.
I use my corvette for open G exclusively and I'm thinking about doing a set up similar to Keith Richards and removing 6th string. Wondering if anyone has ever done this? Pros and cons

nickurso

Gretschified
Dec 24, 2012
New Orleans la.
Briefly. It felt weird. It helps if you play heavy handed , as you won't hit the low D by accident. On my short list is another tele set up with a humbucker or a filtertron. It's hard to beat the sound he gets. Raw, smile and cranking.
Yeah my tele has a tv Jones setzer in the neck I wanted something fatter but not a humbucker IMG_9583.JPG

I would do it on my corvette not this guitar

DrumBob

Friend of Fred
Feb 2, 2011
New Jersey
Sure, I did it and it makes total sense, as the low E is superfluous in open G tuning. Besides, I'm a big Keith fan. Try it. It's the only way to go for open G.

Roger49

Country Gent
Feb 18, 2015
Germany
I find anything but standard 6-string tuning just does my head in these days, my brain is not atomic and I even become confused trying to remember what the guitar is actually tuned to!
I dabbled a bit with a 5-string banjo as a teenager in the 60s just so I could play Stop, Stop, Stop by the Hollies but I was never comfortable with open string tunings of any kind.

freddyfingers

Gretschified
Platinum Member
I should have asked if you were chording or playing slide. For a stones sound I would take it off. There was a company that made a five string neck that fit into a tele pocket. But then you need to get used to a thinner neck. Start playing a ric.

englishman

Gretschified
Apr 5, 2014
Detroit
I just realized I could turn strings 'off' on the Variax. I set the banjo model up to 'my dog has fleas' tuning and turned the E and A strings off. I'll set up a 'Keith' setting with the low D turned off and see how it goes :)

nickurso

Gretschified
Dec 24, 2012
New Orleans la.
I find anything but standard 6-string tuning just does my head in these days, my brain is not atomic and I even become confused trying to remember what the guitar is actually tuned to!
I dabbled a bit with a 5-string banjo as a teenager in the 60s just so I could play Stop, Stop, Stop by the Hollies but I was never comfortable with open string tunings of any kind.
I'm already in open G, I've been using open timings since high school.

nickurso

Gretschified
Dec 24, 2012
New Orleans la.
I should have asked if you were chording or playing slide. For a stones sound I would take it off. There was a company that made a five string neck that fit into a tele pocket. But then you need to get used to a thinner neck. Start playing a ric.
Both. With my band it's Elmore James type stuff but I'm playing both rhythm and lead with it. I also play stoned stuff at home or just goofing off with the band so the 5 string will work.

Random1643

Synchromatic
May 10, 2015
Upper Midwest, USA
Be nice to hear a sound sample, Nick.

As a fingerpicker, my thumb, and occasionally forefinger, is often tasked with holding down the bass. When I'm in open G I like having the low D there for bass work. Sometimes use low D + the octave (D string) for riffs. Also as a singer, depending on the chord, I like having a fuller sound platform to support my voice. I mute strings selectively during a given song that I don't want to hear.

+1 been using open tunings since high school. Well, open D & G. Also drop D. Didn't learn C Wahine, drop A, other alt tunings until later in life. Open tunings are amazing.

nickurso

Gretschified
Dec 24, 2012
New Orleans la.
Be nice to hear a sound sample, Nick.

As a fingerpicker, my thumb, and occasionally forefinger, is often tasked with holding down the bass. When I'm in open G I like having the low D there for bass work. Sometimes use low D + the octave (D string) for riffs. Also as a singer, depending on the chord, I like having a fuller sound platform to support my voice. I mute strings selectively during a given song that I don't want to hear.

+1 been using open tunings since high school. Well, open D & G. Also drop D. Didn't learn C Wahine, drop A, other alt tunings until later in life. Open tunings are amazing.
I noticed that sometimes the chords get a little muddy in the low end with the low D in there that's why I started this. So far I like it, I'll know more tonight during practice. I don't play finger style at all I have a sloppy hybrid picking that I use but it doesn't use the alternate bass like finger style so that's not an issue for me. What I've noticed so far is like Freddie said if you are heavy handed with chords it helps a lot. I like to hit chords hard for some things and that's where the muddy bass comes in.

Andrew Griffin

Synchromatic
Oct 22, 2015
I use my corvette for open G exclusively and I'm thinking about doing a set up similar to Keith Richards and removing 6th string. Wondering if anyone has ever done this? Pros and cons
I have a guitar tuned to open G but instead of removing the sixth string I chose to tune it to G, the same as the 5th string. I usually play in a fingerpicking style with my thumb doing an alternating base, but having the thumb bounce between the two low G strings can work to create a driving beat that I enjoy.

Latest posts