Anchored Adjusto-Matic™ bridge. How to adjust with Allen key?

Tucker

Feb 27, 2022
Burlington Ont
I was going to drop my string height on my G5655T a little bit lower. The thumb wheels just spin up and down. I have them now as low as they go. Is there a video or article showing the
  • Anchored Adjusto-Matic™ bridge being adjusted? (not just talked about and pointed at)
  • please dont send me a video on the tuneomatic,, they do not use the same tools
I assume I need to screw by allen key, the threaded pin further into the guitar to lower the bridge. Is that correct? What exact size is the key, 1/16th? Most of the resource material I could find was with the tuneomatic and no one showed the allen key adjustment or how the thumb wheels on this specific bridge work.
My first post here. Thanks for your kind interest.

FiveAces

Gretschie
Mar 1, 2009
San Diego, CA
A picture would really help to be sure what we're talking about.... but I'll take a stab based on my similar experience.

IIRC, An Anchored Adjusto-Matic™ bridge just means the bridge posts thread directly into the body as opposed to having a separate wooden bridge base like the typical hollowbody type as the 51xx, 54xx series Electromatic hollowbody styles.
As for adjusting the height, the thumb wheels should work just like any other model with a thumb wheel adjustment.

I'm betting the studs may be slightly off, such that the stud are putting pressure on the bridge due to the slight mis-alignment, and the bridge is hung up.
Try lowering the thumb wheels and then tapping down on the bridge and each post. I'll bet it will break free and drop down. It might help to turn each stud via the allen slot and it may "wobble" just enough to let the bridge drop onto the thumb wheel.

I had a similar issue with a 5435T Electromatic Pro Jet and it did that exact same thing to me. I actually took an exacto rat tail file to the bridge holes.... just a little bit to open up the holes in the bridge. Problem solved and it doesn't hang up on the stud anymore.

Let us know if this helps...... still, a picture would be nice!

Last edited:

calebaaron666

Friend of Fred
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
Try lowering the thumb wheels and then tapping down on the bridge and each post. I'll bet it will break free and drop down. It might help to turn each stud via the screw slot and it will loosen just enough to let the bridge drop. It's not an adjustment, but the loosened stud will help the stud self-aligh better in the bridge holes and relieve the friction being caused by the slight mis-alignment.
This ^

Emergence

Synchromatic
May 25, 2022
New York
I looked at pictures of a G5420 on line. The tuneomatic bridge has Allen screws to tighten against the post on the ends of the bridge. The tuneomatic on my SG has similar construction. The Allen key will be metric, 1.5mm or 2mm. Back off the screw on each side and the bridge can be raised or lowered using the thumb wheels. It’s very difficult to raise or lower the bridge against full string tension so you’ll have to detune quite a bit to adjust the bridge up or down. This is a basic set up adjustment. Get the tools you need and you’ll have them forever. Personally, I prefer the screw driver type tool to the L shaped key. I hope this helps.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
I'm not familiar with this bridge, but sounds it might be locking into place? Take most of the string tension off before adjusting anything, and do not use any force.

Welcome to Gretsch-Talk!

FiveAces

Gretschie
Mar 1, 2009
San Diego, CA
My bad.... but looking for images of a G5655T, I found no pics that show any indication of a locking post adjustomatic bridge of any kind, and, although I'm well aware they exist in the aftermarket, I've never seen one from Gretsch as it came from the factory. I could only relate to my particular similar experience.

That being said, that shows the value of including pictures when ever you can.
Otherwise we have to assume if its a new or used guitar that may have been modded by the previous owner! Just sayin'.... a picture is worth a thousand words!
In the meantime, Gretsch has used Floating Bridges, Pinned Bridges (several methods), Anchored Bridges, and several variations of "Tune-o -Matic" or "Adjust-o-Matic" designs. Weather they were really improvements or not were questionable at times...... just sayin'