Am I picking nits?

Pops

Electromatic
May 23, 2022
SC Midlands
Newbie here with a question for long time Gretschies. I love my new 2420T Streamliner, but… I was taking a closer look at the B60 and noticed the treble side pad does not touch the guitar while the bass side does. The treble side of the tailpiece is about 2mm above the binding. The bass side is flush. Would this affect tuning stability?

Attachments

• 9240258E-EEF7-4BDC-80FD-EC8FD34028AC.jpeg
    9240258E-EEF7-4BDC-80FD-EC8FD34028AC.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 46

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
Newbie here with a question for long time Gretschies. I love my new 2420T Streamliner, but… I was taking a closer look at the B60 and noticed the treble side pad does not touch the guitar while the bass side does. The treble side of the tailpiece is about 2mm above the binding. The bass side is flush. Would this affect tuning stability?

I doubt it's gonna make much of a difference. If you're OCD and want to correct it(plug old hinge holes and redrill) the bass side of the Bigsby is probably gonna lift a bit, requiring you to use a couple of felt pads. It's always something...

radd

Friend of Fred
Dec 27, 2017
Santa Cruz
Not a thing wrong with taking a close look at a guitar and getting things right.

I would try just try loosening the screws and repositioning it as was mentioned.

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
I’m a retired engineer. One thing I learned in my long career is how easy it is to break something trying to fix something else that’s not really broken. It’s your guitar. I’d leave it be if it were mine.
Very true. I’ve never seen a Bigsby that looked like it fit perfectly.

MrWookiee

Country Gent
Jun 17, 2020
SoCal, USA
Congratulations on your new Gretsch, and welcome to the asylum!

Emergence

Gretschie
May 25, 2022
New York
Very true. I’ve never seen a Bigsby that looked like it fit perfectly.
I have my Anniversary out today. I looked at the Bigsby. There are black pads under each side but there’s a thin white shim under the pad on the treble side that I didn’t put there. I’m sure it came that way. The shim is too thin to show up in a photo. The Bigsby works perfectly.

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
I have my Anniversary out today. I looked at the Bigsby. There are black pads under each side but there’s a thin white shim under the pad on the treble side that I didn’t put there. I’m sure it came that way. The shim is too thin to show up in a photo. The Bigsby works perfectly.
IIRC, at least half of my Bigsby equipped guitars have some sort of spacer on one side or the other.