Aged finishes

Bertotti

Gretschified
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
Just curious is any light colors ever really retain their color. @TSims1 has his new gorgeous PRS in a beautiful white but how do we keep them that color? Here is my Blizzard Pearl Strat that a mush lighter and brighter whitish Silver color. Don’t get me wrong it aged nicely but what if someone wants to keep their nice new color. I don’t know if any options. So go ahead and show us your aged colors! Lighting make a huge difference as well the lighter picture is closer to the new look but in some conditions it does look as brassy as the second picture. the pickgaurd has Tue most age related color change a very nice change!

9695C737-F14E-42B9-B207-17D2ACB245CC.jpeg 4CDB2C63-0F69-4B1B-83FC-4AC935671640.jpeg

MadKaw

Gretschie
Apr 17, 2020
Michigan, USA
I would think that a polyurethane finish that used a metallic pigment would be as close to permanent as you're likely to find. Nothing is forever, though.
As a side note: the color that makes Stradivarius violins so distinctive is not that of the original color. Over the centuries it has reddened greatly.

Last edited:

Rene Asologuitar

Gretschie
Apr 3, 2022
Seattle, WA
Just curious is any light colors ever really retain their color. @TSims1 has his new gorgeous PRS in a beautiful white but how do we keep them that color? Here is my Blizzard Pearl Strat that a mush lighter and brighter whitish Silver color. Don’t get me wrong it aged nicely but what if someone wants to keep their nice new color. I don’t know if any options. So go ahead and show us your aged colors! Lighting make a huge difference as well the lighter picture is closer to the new look but in some conditions it does look as brassy as the second picture. the pickgaurd has Tue most age related color change a very nice change!
Simply beautiful!!!

AZBrahma

Synchromatic
Dec 18, 2020
Arizona
^^ People pay a lot of money for that kind of thing. I say you list it for a million dollars.

I have a nitro Tele that was once white. It's about 8 years old now and it was turned a yellowy cream color. If I hold up a piece of copy paper to it you can see just how yellow it is getting. I'd post a picture but my camera still renders it as white.

How to stop it? Honestly, you don't. I think it is inevitable.

Baba Joe

Gretschie
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 17, 2010
new jersey
2005 White Falcon stripped and refinished by the previous owner to look and age like a ‘59 Falcon. 909D3781-7E49-4D7B-8D5C-1A3309AEECA3.jpeg

Wayne Gretschzky

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 27, 2008
East Coast
Here is my Blizzard Pearl Strat that a mush lighter and brighter whitish Silver color. Don’t get me wrong it aged nicely but what if someone wants to keep their nice new color. I don’t know if any options. So go ahead and show us your aged colors! Lighting make a huge difference as well the lighter picture is closer to the new look but in some conditions it does look as brassy as the second picture. the pickgaurd has Tue most age related color change a very nice change!

I have the SAME blizzard Pearl Strat, and was amazed to find that the previously white pickguard had turned a dark parchment/tan in a matter of years while hiding in its case (as yours has too!). I didn't really like the new color of the guard and have replaced it with a MOTO white guard.

Wayne Gretschzky

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 27, 2008
East Coast
I think I've shared this photo before. Poly takes a little longer I suppose but it will ultimately age/yellow. Here are my two Ibanez Artcore models. The single pu version (left) hung on a wall in my house for 7 years. The other sat in a case until I purchased it a couple of years back. I like the darker hue of the guitar that was exposed for all those years.

Artcores.jpeg

Bertotti

Gretschified
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
Oddly I love the discolored pick hairs now. Something about it just blends nicely with the finish and this one is also in the case when not being played. I hope to have a display case built here early next year. I really want them out but humidity controlled and visible to look at.

Back in Black

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
As wabash slim has said, it's inevitable.

You really don't see the difference until you start removing parts like pick guards, bridges and tail-pieces.

Comparing guitars is not always accurate either, as factory colors may not be the same between batches.

The lighter, more natural and organic the finishing material, the quicker the change will occur. Lacquer will change much quicker than urethane. (natural pigments, as opposed to plastic)

Also, in a lot of cases, exposure to light has nothing to do with it.

My Malcolm which is two years old now, has gone from clear to honey, and that's while being in the case.

The same thing with my Ric 325 V59, which is 25 years old.

With the Ric, the change is not apparent until the pick guard is removed. The difference is quite striking.

All typical characteristics of a fine wooden instrument.

Best,

BIB.

DSCF1507.JPG DSCF1506.JPG DSCF1603.JPG DSCF1606.JPG

Last edited:

Bertotti

Gretschified
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
The aging doesn’t bother me but I was hoping for more aged pictures! I love how my Strat has aged! Tony’s new PRS and I realized there is a point at which I would like that color but would want it to remain that color.

sgarnett

Country Gent
Apr 14, 2020
Kentucky
Color change with aging and UV exposure is VERY pigment specific (especially with the toxic options eliminated). In some cases, there are newer options from the automotive industry, such as the quinacridone reds, that hold up fairly well, but who knows whether the manufacturers are using them. When the different pigments that are blended together fade at different rates, it can cause significant shifts in the hue even if it doesn't look faded. And yes, some pigments and some resins fade more than others, and some lighten while some darken. Wood itself changes too. Spruce ages to a lovely pumpkin orange. Cherry develops its deep red color with UV exposure. And so on.

Telechamp

Country Gent
Oct 20, 2010
Tampa Bay
I bought a brand new 2013 Alpine White Gibson Les Paul Studio back in 2013, with a blinding white gloss nitro finish.

Now here in 2022 - almost 2023 - it is still pretty darn white. I actually love that fact - and I hope it stays this white for a good while longer, although I know eventually it will yellow...

To be honest, though, I'm surprised it has stayed as white as it has, for as long as it has - almost ten years now..

New:

UOMWEou.jpg

ogLZzbN.jpg

B6Vgn4G.jpg

0Svymdf.jpg

Now (recent photos):

7XK7bib.jpg

iPuHC0Q.jpg

Bertotti

Gretschified
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
My '79 Stratocaster used to be white...
View attachment 196146
I am partial to that color as I really would like a butter cream Strat with the Pau board. I had given up on my Strats because they were hurting my wrist in my left hand but now that I have changed my grip I need to give them another try! As much as I love my Penguin a Strat is just a very comfortable guitar and I like the longer scale. Oh for a 25.5” scaled Penguin! I don’t care about the neck dive there are ways to get over it!