Advice re Replacing Gretschbuckers with Blacktops

Mr Twangy

Gretschie
Dec 27, 2020
Canada
Hi all. I am thinking of replacing the Gretschbuckers in my Jet Club with Gretsch Blacktop Filtertrons. I have found a place that sells these pickups with mounting rings and all screws and springs for a good price. My question is this: will the mounting ring cover all of the humbucker rout and the screw holes left by the Gretschbuckers? If you’ve ever done this I’d be grateful for your advice.

Lockupyourfatdog

Synchromatic
Aug 8, 2016
Everett wa
Yeah the rings cover the excess of the gretschbucker hole. You’ll most likely have to drill new holes to match the rings but the other holes will be hidden

wildeman

I Bleed Orange
May 10, 2015
norcal
HS filters will require some TV Jones blocks because they mount through the pickup like a soapbar, they dont hang off the ring like a BT.

Lockupyourfatdog

Synchromatic
Aug 8, 2016
Everett wa
For filtertrons I get 6120 rings and use popsicle sticks to mount it. It’s really easy and looks cleaner. I was going to show some pics of how to do it but I’m realizing all of my guitars at the moment that didn’t already come with filtertrons have top load pickups. I can draw up a diagram and dm it to you

Mr Twangy

Gretschie
Dec 27, 2020
Canada
For filtertrons I get 6120 rings and use popsicle sticks to mount it. It’s really easy and looks cleaner. I was going to show some pics of how to do it but I’m realizing all of my guitars at the moment that didn’t already come with filtertrons have top load pickups. I can draw up a diagram and dm it to you

Latest posts