A Telecaster built for Elvis. Truly? Could you/Should you?

stevo

Friend of Fred
Platinum Member
May 1, 2012
Atlanta
A guitar that was built for Elvis that he ultimately sent back. How cool is this? Apparently the kind of cool that $295k will get you. I mean clearly a Tele that was built for Elvis should be worthe something. But...

Postings like this make me realize that there is a whole other dimension to guitar buying that I will never care about or even aspire to and that's "pure collector".

Things are worth what people will pay. But I'm fairly certain that one can have a better playing, better sounding, higher quality build for a fraction of this price.

This being said, how certain can one be? Is it really and truly what it says? What if I get the urge to buy it? How can I assure myself that it's the real deal?

Screen Shot 2023-01-20 at 17.12.10.png

Last edited:

Londoner

Gretschie
Dec 18, 2020
UK
How can something only "built for Elvis" be worth anything?
Any photos of Elvis holding it? I can't find any.
I could make something and say it was built for Elvis.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
Too heavy at 9lbs? Was that the real reason? That’s not anywhere near a Norlin pancake LP which were often 11 and over, I think heaviest I’ve seen posted is 15Lbs!

Back in Black

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
A guitar that was built for Elvis that he ultimately sent back. How cool is this? Apparently the kind of cool that $295k will get you. I mean clearly a Tele that was built for Elvis should be worthe something. But...

Postings like this make me realize that there is a whole other dimension to guitar buying that I will never care about or even aspire to and that's "pure collector".

Things are worth what people will pay. But I'm fairly certain that one can have a better playing, better sounding, higher quality build for a fraction of this price.

This being said, how certain can one be? Is it really and truly what is says? What if I get the urge to buy it? How can I assure myself that it's the real deal?

View attachment 199459
Stevo,

This guitar looks to me like the second of two Rosewood Teles that were built for George Harrison.

The second was documented as being a ''spare'', which George never received.

I'm guessing this is that same guitar.

Fender probably figured if it was good enough for George, then it was good enough for Elvis.

This looks like a Reverb ad, so it's anybody's guess.

And...I certainly think that 1/3 of a million dollars could be better spent elsewhere.

Nice story though, which does include George Harrison, just incase the George subject was brought up.

And...after all these years...why now...Lisa Marie's passing????

Sorry, not buying one word.

Just me,

BIB.

Last edited:

Emergence

Synchromatic
Gold Supporting Member
May 25, 2022
New York
A Telecaster is a piece of plank screwed to a stick. CS gets you a better stick and plank than MIM but it’s still a stick and a plank. Pickups are easy enough to change that they’re repeatedly “upgraded” on many Telecasters. Want one like the one Elvis sent back, it’ll make a fun DIY project.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Didn't George Harrison have one of these?
Robbie Robertson of The Band had a bronzed Tele (or Strat maybe).
The only person I could think of that could want this---and afford it---is Jim Irsay.

radd

Friend of Fred
Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2017
Santa Cruz
If Elvis came back to life and delivered it personally in a pink 56 cadillac and stayed to jam and have cheeseburgers with Scotty and Bill along for the ride it still wouldn't be worth $295,000

Oh yes it would……Even if he took the guitar with him when he left.

Seamus

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 25, 2011
New England
Yeah, well -- my grandma had a '63 Delta 88 in her front yard. She got it from a friend, and guess who gave her friend that car? (Look, she lived an hour from Memphis, so maybe.) Actually, the car is still there, 12 years after her departure, so I'm not saying anymore! :)

I also knew a supply sergeant who fielded requests from Elvis in the Army when he wanted a slightly more impressive green for the jeep he drove. I think it's like pieces of "the true cross." Or, to quote Mojo Nixon, "Elvis is everywhere."

Latest posts