A review/report on Duncan Dynas/T-Armonds

FoobiusBBarius

Electromatic
Apr 20, 2022
Parts Unknown
A bit off-topic but this thread has inspired me to put a 1 meg pot in my dyna Gretsches. I remember on the GDP Billy Zoom said he liked a specific type of taper on those pots, maybe linear. Has anyone got any strong opinions on 1 meg pots?

Byron

Country Gent
Sep 4, 2009
uk
I'd love to try the Duncan's. I've kinda given up with Dynas. Too much bother, but some folks make them sound great

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
Actually this conversation makes me think I don't like dyna variants. I have at T Armond bridge and I would not want it to be more loud or rude.

NJDevil

Country Gent
Jul 9, 2014
Commack, NY
Actually this conversation makes me think I don't like dyna variants. I have at T Armond bridge and I would not want it to be more loud or rude.
Yup, I'm looking to swap the P90s out of my Edwards goldtop LP and install T-Armonds. I really made up my mind to do so a few months ago but sprained my knee on the day I was going to actually get it done!..

Recovering right now but am getting excited to make the swap.

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Double Platinum Member
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
ya I found my seymour cst shop Dynas to have that spot on vintage clean pluck that I grew up with from DeArmonds, but it was too clinical for country and rockabilly for my taste. Not strident in any fashion, nor edgy like the offshore stock dynas. Good to hear they are working well for you, and I'm curious how you set up the T-armonds because they love their bobbin closer to the strings than the Seymours.
FWIW. T-armonds dont squeal w overdrive or fuzz and are fine w 500K pots and have more than enough volume in hollowbodies, and this is where a jet might benefit in a traditional way more so w the seymour dynas cuz of the slight output difference. My George foreman signature Jet was asking me every day for seymours, but I sold it before I could grant it that wish. :) I use unpotted T-armonds in my nocturne rooster builds as this is almost a completely hollow jet size guitar w a top and back that is thin as an acoustic guitar.
In a perfect world I'd have the seymour in the neck and the t-armond in the bridge. Business up front and Party in the back!

image.jpg

NickNihil

Jan 17, 2023
Seattle
Tangentially, Righteous Sound started producing Dynasonics back in August and I got a set to try in my 53 VS Duo Jet with T Armonds. Goodbye T Armonds. I got a good deal more clarity out them while still riding the warmer side. He says he stays pretty loyal, they are apparently an Alnico mix, and he does wax pot by default though you can request unpotted. I’m no Dyna expert and haven’t tried the Duncans. Still want to, but they’re pricey (also want to try the Ron Ellis, speaking of pricey). I threw up a video a few weeks back. Anyone else try them?

Lucky Jim

Gretschie
Oct 16, 2020
Kent, England
Tangentially, Righteous Sound started producing Dynasonics back in August and I got a set to try in my 53 VS Duo Jet with T Armonds.…………
Interesting, thanks @NickNihil. I can only find a photo of them on Righteous Sound’s Instagram but no information at all on their main web site. Do you have a link to the product page?

ruger9

Country Gent
Nov 1, 2008
NJ
Missed this one first time around...

I've owned T-Armonds AND T-90s AND T-90 w/T-Armond surround. All in the same guitar. Both are fantastic pickups. And the one thing TVJ nailed is the lower wind neck pickup. In both cases (and actually also in the Setzer Signatures), the pickups are PERFECTLY balanced.

Love both pickups, depends on the sound I'm after. Currently I have T90s in that guitar, simply because it makes it more different than my tele. The T-Armonds make the guitar (a Thinline Cabronita) like a big, fat, clear tele. The T90s make it move way more towards Goldtop Les Paul P90.

I always post this video as the perfect example of what a neck T-Armond sounds like. Then imagine adding a bunch of mids to it, and that's what the T-90 sounds like.