a Question to the Irish Falcon Toggle Switch - Malfunktion or Special Feature?

Filli

Electromatic
Mar 5, 2022
Germany
Hi to all out there,
a few days ago I received my wonderful green Irish Falcon for what I have waited a long time.
It is great pleasure to play an discover this great guitar.

Now I have found out that there is a little technical difference betwenn this Irish Falcon and all my other Gretschies:
The sound-toggle-switch works in a reverse way - this means when you press it in the direction to the strings normally there are more heights in the sound. But at this guitars the heights are turned back.
When you press it to the other side the heights are emphasized.

My question to you: is this a mistake of the guitarcrafters at Gretsch or is it a specialty of the original Bono-Model?

Thank you for reading this and hoping for an answer:
Filly

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
I think there are 2 switches (pickup a f mud switches, both have 3 positions), not sure which one you are talking about. the mud switch is brightest in the middle.

Filli

Electromatic
Mar 5, 2022
Germany
Hi Henry,
I am talking about the mud switch. As I know In the middleposition it is the true sound of the Pickup/s (without any capacitors). And in the both other positions there is an additionally capacitor which changes the sound.
But my question is if the behaviour of "my" toggleswitch is the standard way?

Filli

Electromatic
Mar 5, 2022
Germany
For all who are interested in my question:
I found the answer in a Gretsch sales prospectus from the year 2006. There is written:

"The Bono Irish Falcon™ model has a reversed Master Tone Selector Switch;
the rear position produces slight high-frequency roll-off;
the middle position is neutral, and the front position emphasizes bass"

So it seems truly to be a special feature and the luthiers there at Nagoya in Japan have done all right.

Seamus

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 25, 2011
New England
Congrats on that guitar! My favorite of all the Gretsches, though I don't have one. Couldn't do without a Bigsby, and now these seem extremely hard to find.

Filli

Electromatic
Mar 5, 2022
Germany
Thank you Seamus for your friendly words.
I think that Gretsch has build only a few of the Irish Falcons over the last years. If you wanted to buy one, you had to wait for a year after your guitardealer had placed the order. My guitar was build in January this year (2022) and additionally I had to wait 8 month till they delivered the guitar to Germany.
Now she is here in my livingroom and I am very pleased - so I would never give it back the guitarstore.

This is my first falcon and I am excited of the sound - either acoustically or amplified too.
There are so many harmonic overtones - it seems as if the Falcon "sings".
Very nice and stunning🙂

Latest posts