A JET, my Kingdom for a JET... With TVJones T-Armond pickups ?

hcsterg

Friend of Fred
Feb 13, 2012
France
OK - my pal the local music shop boss placed an order to my request for a Gretsch G5220LH JET in Jade Grey, just like this one below :cool: :

1651609175096.png

She will be there at the end of May, I guess :D... A perfect mate for my G5220LH Dark Cherry Metallic "Custom Jet" :

OH4WIb-P1070632.jpg

But this time, along with the inevitable :rolleyes: B3LH, HW05C and custom pickguard, I'm thinking about putting a pair of TVJones "English mount" T-Armonds pickups.

I know that many of you have experience or installed on their Gretsch those TVJ T-Armonds pickups...
Sorry I can't recall the names : @radd, maybe ? Among many others !

Any experience ? Tips ? Tone comparison or evaluation ?

Thanks to let my know, Guys ! ;)

A+!

radd

Friend of Fred
Dec 27, 2017
Santa Cruz
I like the guitar you are getting, congratulations.

I have the T-Armonds in my 5420, but I’m not much help. I play at bedroom volumes through a Roland Blues Cube Stage. I can say I like them a lot, much more Gretschie that the BlackTops. Others here should have some good advice regarding the pickups.

44302090-4674-4823-8A09-EA79502EDD38.jpeg 84BA3B97-BA05-4BEB-82EB-BE1BAE60C4EA.jpeg

Rhomco

Electromatic
Jun 3, 2008
DFW, Texas
You have chosen a guitar with humbucker size routs. You will need to find similar shaped pickups to fit the routs. Good luck with your project,
Rob
Rhomco Guitars

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
yep yep, easily dropped in with the dual screw mount adaptors. thats how I installed the T-90 Tvjones in my jet. I would request double springs (i put them together, doubled up) as it creates a stronger tension to keep the pickup more stable. Those blacktops have to go :) :)

hcsterg

Friend of Fred
Feb 13, 2012
France
You have chosen a guitar with humbucker size routs. You will need to find similar shaped pickups to fit the routs. Good luck with your project,
Rob
Rhomco Guitars

Hey @Rhomco : you are in the Gretsch world, not LP... ;)

A simple change of bezels from Broad'Trons to HS FT / BT FT standard Gretsch size, and you're done :

Kkv3Jb-PU-size-comparaison.jpg

My 5420 had Humbuckers and the T-Armonds dropped right in with the TV Jones adaptor.

Thanks @radd for reminding us your install' tips ! :)

I was unsure of that : so the TVJ T-Armonds have the same mounting size as the Std Gretsch PU, finally. :cool:

A+!

hcsterg

Friend of Fred
Feb 13, 2012
France
OK - the G5220LH-JGRY Jade Grey is here since May 17, but I did not have the time to do anything with it except some pics today... Time is missing ! :mad:

Bc8TNb-P1150190.jpg

The Jade Grey with her Sister the Dark Cherry Metallic :

Bc8TNb-P1150196.jpg

I remember that I had an additional Custom Jet pickguard for her :

Yr8TNb-P1150199.jpg

I think that I have somewhere a pair of BT FT with their bezels, but I'm not sure... I'd be still tempted by the TVJ T-Armond adventure (see @radd), or a set of HS FT ? I'm mixed...

Of course, she needs the inavoidable but modded Bigsby B3LH, metal Custom Jet plate and Göldo HW05C roller bride, just like her Sister. And a case, indeed...

A+!