5427tg electromatic retired??

Mandojoe

Electromatic
Mar 29, 2022
Mexico
Just in the process of getting a new gretsch, either a 5420TG, a 5422TG, a 5427TG, or a 5420T. I’ve listened to all the reviews, now it’s time to go to the store and play a few. However, I just read a thread in Gretsch talk Where are the guy was talking about trying to get a switch for his discontinued 5427 And that he bought it because it was on sale. I’m concerned about this, and also concerned about the MIC aspect. The Korean factory has made quality Electromatics for years. I have concerns about the quality coming out of a new factory, and even more concerned about security and supply given the fact that China, it is now clear, is becoming a very bad actor on the world stage. Politics aside, that doesn’t give high confidence in Gretsch’s future Security of supply. And even more concerning, when I read the specifications of the new 5420s and 5422s, they are identical to the 5427s, i.e. Laurel fretboards, FE – 5T pick ups, better feel on the tone knobs, better feel on the Bigsby. Some good things, however it indicates to me that they’re all coming from China now. Can anybody confirm or reject this notion?

Groutsch

Synchromatic
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 9, 2018
Maryland, US
Reportedly (I'll edit with a link if I can find one) the 5420 is no longer made in Korea. The 5427, made in China, has been renumbered as the new 5420.

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
You really do need to get to a store where you can try some of these.

Did that guy say his G5427 was discontinued? I didn't see that, he said he bought the last one in the store.

From all the threads you've started I think you're overthinking this. You've done all the research you can, it is time to get your hands on some to see what they are like IRL.

You have to understand that Gretsch/Fender has control of the quality no matter where they are made, trust them. Some people said the Korean models were better but millions own new Chinese guitars with no complaints.
And you don't have any choice unless you buy something used.

BCRatRod73

Synchromatic
Silver Member
Sep 1, 2020
Mississippi
I have a 2020 5410T Rat Rod made in Korea, and a newly acquired 5422TG made in China. Both are very well made guitars. Both have that hard to define “quality” feel to them, as though all the elements came together and the results are beyond superb. When I strum them both unplugged they both have this very sweet tone. Full, rich, defined. When you strum one unplugged you’ll understand. You’d swear the price should be higher for the quality. The workmanship of both guitars is close to perfection. My 5422TG has some unfortunate buff marks but I believe that can be corrected. As far as construction goes they are close to flawless. In short: don’t worry about the Gretsch guitars Made in China being inferior. When you pick up the one you’ll know it and you really won’t care about country of origin. The QC Department is on the job and all is well.

Mandojoe

Electromatic
Mar 29, 2022
Mexico
Thanks all. All three new ones have trestle I believe. You are right Randy99CL re: overthinking. Buying Trip to Canada this weekend !!

sgarnett

Country Gent
Apr 14, 2020
Kentucky
Fwiw, the Korean models used “compressed” rosewood. It is most likely infused with dye and some kind of resin. It is an engineered composite. That doesn’t make it bad. It’s just an alternative to natural rosewood (as is laurel).

TSims1

Gretschified
Jun 18, 2013
Atlanta
Man, I’ve had em all. Or at least close to it. Lol. My 5427 thrills me! Don’t care about anything else. Does it feel good? Yep! Sound good? Yep! Look good! HECK yeah! Stay in tune well? Yep! Okay - good enough for me!

tartanphantom

Friend of Fred
Jul 30, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
The 5427TG was meant to be a Limited Edition model from the beginning. It wouldn't surprise me if it were discontinued, as it's been produced for almost two years. The 5427 was never made in Korea, but instead was initially made in China, although some have reportedly been built in Indonesia at the Wildwood factory.

Last edited:

Wayne Gretschzky

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 27, 2008
East Coast
The 5427TG was meant to be a Limited Edition model from the beginning. It wouldn't surprise me if it were discontinued, as it's been produced for almost two years. The 5427 was never made in Korea, but instead was initially made in China, although some have reportedly been built in Indonesia at the Wildwood factory.
The spec sheets on the Guitar Center and Musicians Friend websites state the COO as Indonesia, but it also states the inlays are neoclassic and the hardware is chrome... so, grain of salt.

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
The spec sheets on the Guitar Center and Musicians Friend websites state the COO as Indonesia, but it also states the inlays are neoclassic and the hardware is chrome... so, grain of salt.
Yeah, you can't rely on that. That is the kind of info that they never seem to check or update and are often wrong, best to just see what is printed on the headstock to be sure.

Edit: I just checked and the pics of the headstocks both say "China."