5420 Jack Plate - Square or Oval?

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
I don't use them but oval as there are fewer screws and, not an issue I think for the 5420, but I don't like it when thr plate goes over the binding on thinner guitars. Oval looks more elegant to me.

GlenP

Country Gent
Jul 23, 2019
WA
The 5420 body depth is large enough for the square plate and I think would look better on that depth. I don't have one, but that is my opinion.

On a thinner 5422 or Nashville 6120 at 2.25" you could fit either one. On a center-block Jr 1.75" the football plate is a better fit.

9F7E2B9D-AD65-4CC0-AA3A-6C2BD451B390.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 3.30.30 PM.png

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
I agree with GlenP, the square (LP) on thick bodies and the football style on thinner.

I've had the idea of changing the radius on the LP style so it mounts as a diamond. Might look cool.
And I've rotated the football style at an angle so two of the sides are parallel with the top and bottom of the guitar. I think it looks good, different, but haven't actually mounted any that way.

GlenP

Country Gent
Jul 23, 2019
WA
While primarily cosmetic, you might also take advantage of the opportunity to enlarge the hole in the guitar so the jack can be removed and replaced through that access point once you have installed the plate. You might have to ream the hole in the guitar slightly so the jack can fit through. There should be plenty of slack in the wires. Not essential, but much easier if you plan to do any rewiring and have to pull out the jack.

thunder58

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 23, 2010
tappan ny
Any opinions (it's a forum--of course there are!) on which is better on a 5420?

Thanks.
Thank you for starting this thread ....... most around here know my 2 biggest pet-peeves
EVERY GUITAR SHOULD COME WITH A JACK-PLATE !
( Except an SG , that would look silly )
EVERY GUITAR SHOULD COME WITH A CASE TOO !
ok , rant over

FiveAces

Gretschie
Mar 1, 2009
San Diego, CA
I do know what an accident can do to these guitars without a jack plate, so I feel they are a must! ...as for which on is a matter of choice, but on the wide bodies (like my 5120) , the square jack plate was my preference. Larger surface area of the plate would seem to be more durable, given the width of the body. On the thinner hollow bodies, the oval jack plate would probably seems more appropriately fitting.

5120 Jack Plate.jpg