5 electromatics returned

Harrison

Electromatic
Jun 29, 2022
Manchester
I wouldn’t think you’ve upset anyone and your input is appreciated. What I didn’t mention in my post is I had tried a couple of 5220’s when they first came out and absolutely loved them. I should have bought one then. I previously owned a 5422 and it was an extremely good guitar but I traded it for the Panther that I still have. My recent Electro sampling was small but each one was a poor representation when compared to the Electros I tried a couple of years ago. Every manufacturer has their ups and downs and I trust Gretsch will address what seems to be a recent problem. I’m still a big Gretsch fan.

By the way…..Welcome
Sorry I’ve not got back to you to thank you for your welcome to the forum, it was very kind of you. I’m sure I saw another message that said “by the way we like photos of your guitar” l can’t find it today but just in case I’ll post a photo of my G5220. E511DF4C-0C35-46EC-8348-6ADF673CCE98.jpeg

Humpblock

Electromatic
Jan 28, 2020
Australia
My 5420 was made on the day before Xmas or New Year’s Eve I think, it rattles, buzzes and the switch works intermittently. My 2420s must’ve been made the day they got a pay rise. I can’t fault them.

Gretsch Kiwi

Electromatic
Jun 30, 2011
Auckland, NZ
Just to add to the mix from NZ, I bought a 5232T Midnight Saphire and a 5655T Jade Grey recently and both are perfectly made. I'm not entirely sure about the pickups (having and preferring the pickups in both my Japanese 6119 stock and 6122 II with TV Jones) but both play very nicely.

The 6122 came with a spare set of T-Armonds and my intention is to put them in one of them, the problem is I can't decide which one....(first world, I know... :) )

juster

Electromatic
Apr 23, 2017
British Columbia
I got a G5232T Electromatic Double Jet FT with Bigsby this year and the only QC flaw was that I had to bend the pu selector contacts after a month's use. The break angle on the Bigsby is too much, but that's a design issue. Mind you, I ordered it from Germany. I suppose try before you buy.

Stingray70

Gretschie
Oct 18, 2021
Michigan
I really wish that Gretsch would move their Electromatic production out of China to elsewhere in Asia. Now, while I've never been particularly fond of Chinese guitars I have owned a few. Some were good, some were junk and that is part of the problem, inconsistency. I see much less inconsistency from the guitars I see from Indonesia, Korea and of course Japan.

One other reason I'd like to see Gretsch get out of China is that it seems inevitable that in the next year or two China is probably going to invade Taiwan and then China and Chinese products are going to have boycotts and a negative stigma attached to them similar to what Russia currently enjoys... I'd prefer to see Gretsch avoid that...

FinMike

Aug 24, 2022
Finland
I bought a G5230t this year, manufactured in 2021. I bought it used (practically it was new). Fretboard was really really dry, neck looks like it is made of several pieces of wood and there’s some annoying looking ”spots” under laqcuer.

Also, there was tinkling noise from bridge, input jack was too loose and 3-way swich began to stutter after a while, the guitar didn’t stay in tune at all… however, these didn’t bother me, because I bought it to be modded anyway.

audept

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2010
Sydney, Australia
I bought a G5230t this year, manufactured in 2021. I bought it used (practically it was new). Fretboard was really really dry, neck looks like it is made of several pieces of wood and there’s some annoying looking ”spots” under laqcuer.

Also, there was tinkling noise from bridge, input jack was too loose and 3-way swich began to stutter after a while, the guitar didn’t stay in tune at all… however, these didn’t bother me, because I bought it to be modded anyway.
Welcome to the forum, @FinMike !
Finnish welcome mat.jpg

Latest posts