5 electromatics returned

GOOBALL JEFF

Synchromatic
Oct 1, 2019
london
electromatics have always been my absolute fave models, even compared to my players edition japan sparkle jet I have loved them all in the past (I must of had 10 before now and all were fantastic, just good luck? no I don't think so) not a rant but just maybe a word of caution, I recently ordered 5 electromatic jets from different companies and all have been sent back due to a number of issues, cracks in the lacquer at nut (all of them) faulty wiring, terrible fret work (all of them) horrible quality wood on fretboard (all of them) something is a miss at the factory right now and my guess is that it's due to recent issues with a certain virus perhaps or a change of staff? either way for 5 of them to all be faulty something is up, very unfortunately. had to send my new vintage white electromatic back, sigh.... fingers crossed they become good again but I wont be risking it. take care all!

Vlad the Inhaler

Electromatic
Jun 28, 2022
hell
electromatics have always been my absolute fave models, even compared to my players edition japan sparkle jet I have loved them all in the past (I must of had 10 before now and all were fantastic, just good luck? no I don't think so) not a rant but just maybe a word of caution, I recently ordered 5 electromatic jets from different companies and all have been sent back due to a number of issues, cracks in the lacquer at nut (all of them) faulty wiring, terrible fret work (all of them) horrible quality wood on fretboard (all of them) something is a miss at the factory right now and my guess is that it's due to recent issues with a certain virus perhaps or a change of staff? either way for 5 of them to all be faulty something is up, very unfortunately. had to send my new vintage white electromatic back, sigh.... fingers crossed they become good again but I wont be risking it. take care all!
I have been through twelve G5622T's to get a satisfactory one, as thunder58 above referenced my thread I started linked here:

https://www.gretsch-talk.com/thread...g5622t-is-a-quality-control-nightmare.216622/

my experience showed that the faulty models had late 2021 or 2022 manufacture dates: the satisfactory G5622T I received from a reputable dealer who went through several to find me an ok example was manufactured early 2021:

I agree something seems amiss in the MIC Gretsch facility, it is as if QC have gone to sleep>>>>

Robbie

Friend of Fred
Jun 17, 2013
Sarnia Ontario Canada

I was just going to start a thread on the same subject. On a whim I thought I might like a 5220 or 5230 as a back up Gretsch. Yesterday I went to my local store to have a look. They had one each of a 5220 and 5230. The fret work on both was appalling. The 5220 sounded like a sitar and the fret ends on the 5230 would have shredded your hands, as it would have on the 5220 as well. I thought “no” can’t be so tried what I believe was a 5422. Same thing. So I tried a gold sparkle jet Pro Line, about 3K Canadian $$. Not nearly as bad as the Electro’s but seriously not good….again bad bad fret work.

As a comparison I grabbed an entry level Yamaha Revstar and it was brilliant. You could have taken it from the store and played a gig with it.

I‘m very disappointed with what seems to be happening with Gretsch.

Last edited:

mrfixitmi

Country Gent
Mar 20, 2010
Michigan
I am so sorry to hear this, this trend is hurtful to hear.
I may be the only one, but I can't blame the issue solely on Chinese made guitars, and that may leave Gretsch off the hook.
The reason I feel this way is that we have had Chinese made Gretsch guitars a few years back, and they were well made without issues. It may be a stronger correlation to lack of quality control, reducing variable costs by cutting corners, and of course the tremendous loss of Joe Carducci without a suitable replacement.

To single out FMIC/Gretsch as the only Company would be unfair as well. If we look at history, many product or Companies go past a "Golden Age" and enter into a period of demise, and this is not good.

I agree with @thunder58 and believe his advice is good.
With all the members here on the forum , Perhaps we should all drop a concerned email Gretsch [email protected]
or 1-800-856-9801
History has also shown that there is power in numbers, if we really care, we should drop them a line since it appears that they are not active members on this site as Mr. Carducci was tied in to us.

This makes me sad....

Highroller

Country Gent
Jun 11, 2015
Portland, OR
You know, as we've all been reading for years about how great Electromatics are, it's a shame to be reading this now. Hopefully, it's a temporary blip.

I can't imagine what a gigantic PITA it must have been to return FIVE guitars! Certainly an incentive to shift over to "in person" buying only! Especially living in a major city like London, with a decent number of shops to choose from.

I don't know how you had the patience to do it. I'd have given up after the second one! LoL!

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
Where's Joe Carducci when we really need him?

I ask that all the time. They should never have let him out the door.

Or at least got a functional replacement.
To go from Mike Lewis to Joe Carducci to crickets is crazy. Not that most companies have Mike Lewises and Joe Carduccis to begin with, but when you've established a sterling reputation for customer relations, it seems insane to me to just let it slip away they way Gretsch is. They truly must not have realized how good of a thing they had going.

LesB3

Gretschie
Aug 17, 2021
Philadelphia, PA
Does anyone know which factory (in particular) makes these now? I know Epiphone's Chinese factory is devoted 100% to the brand (not farmed out) but don;t know if Fender has an exclusive sweatshop too now.

LesB3

Gretschie
Aug 17, 2021
Philadelphia, PA
To go from Mike Lewis to Joe Carducci to crickets is crazy. Not that most companies have Mike Lewises and Joe Carduccis to begin with, but when you've established a sterling reputation for customer relations, it seems insane to me to just let it slip away they way Gretsch is. They truly must not have realized how good of a thing they had going.
Honestly, I don't think they care. Its about $$$ at this point, thus the move to China. There's only one reason to build things in China these days, and it ain't about controlling costs, but maximizing profits, regardless of the long-term damage it does.

FMIC recently posted an ad for a marketing position that handled Gretsch *and* Jackson. WTF? I could see a position for Jackson and Charvel, but to lump those two together?

Kevin_28

Electromatic
Dec 16, 2012
California, USA
I shouldn't be reading these topics because it just shows me how low of a standard I have when I bought my electromatic. :p I knew I was getting a guitar MIC, so my expectation was honestly pretty low to begin with. Overall though I'd say that it's a pretty solid looking guitar. I mainly got it so I can use it as a project guitar of sorts. There are a couple of pretty minor paint issues with the binding on the body where the neck joint is, but it's not a big issue for me. I figure after a few years, I'll probably do something far worse than that.

Certainly, I would have been more upset if that sort of thing happened on my 6128.

Latest posts